Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can I make a Master Key from Valet Key?
skaufmann
post Jul 18 2012, 12:36 PM
Post #1

Blissfully Ignorant

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,123
Region Association: Southern California

I only have the original Valet key that turns the ignition. I have a 2nd key (Master) that opens the passenger door (and nothing else) and a 3rd key (Valet) that open the driver door (and nothing else).

From what I can gather, the only difference between the master key and the valet key is the channeling down the side of the key, not the notch/tooth profile. If I'm correct, can I make a copy of the original Valet key to a new Master key?

My thought is it's easier to rekey the door locks and I suspect the new Master will then work the trunk and glove box since those were not likely replaced like the door locks were.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jul 18 2012, 12:46 PM
Post #2

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

You should be able to use the valet key to make a master that will run the ignition.
It sounds like someone has already swapped out the door lock assemblies, thus why you have two keys.

You will most likely have to re-key all the locks to match the new master key.
Its not a hard project, just time consuming.

rich
+Quote Post
skaufmann
post Jul 18 2012, 12:51 PM
Post #3

Blissfully Ignorant

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 18 2012, 11:46 AM) *

You should be able to use the valet key to make a master that will run the ignition.
It sounds like someone has already swapped out the door lock assemblies, thus why you have two keys.

You will most likely have to re-key all the locks to match the new master key.
Its not a hard project, just time consuming.

rich

Perfect thanks!

Yeah exactly what I was expecting. I'm making a fairly safe assumption that the ignition valet key I have is original as the ignition is painful and expensive to replace. The door locks with their known issues were more likely replaced back in the day (car was sitting for 10 years before I got it) and not rekeyed.

I'm unable to test the grove box and trunks but I'm suspecting they match the ignition tooth profile but Master only.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jul 18 2012, 01:02 PM
Post #4

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

If I recall correctly, the glove box and front trunk are the only ones that the master key protects...
May also be the rear trunk, but I have never found that to be true.

BUT
None of my cars where ever keyed correctly...so I have been chasing the keys forever anyways.

Re-keying a lock may have a classic thread that someone did...I seem to recall McMark did one.

If you have enough parts, you can rekey all the locks to match the new key...they are just tumbers that get replaced with the key in the tumbler...keep swapping them out until they all sit flush with the tumbler housing.

you should be able to buy the correct blank master keys from George Hussey at Auto Atlanta...
If not, there is a key guy that shows up at Hershey every year who only does these keys....
you should be able to find him at Pelican Parts, or possibly the Samba.

Also, I believe the Porsche dealer has the proper blank keys.

Rich
+Quote Post
markb
post Jul 18 2012, 01:10 PM
Post #5

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

GPR sells originals & repros of the keys. Take the best key you have, and rekey everything to that key. Most places that make keys can make the copies. My local Ace hardware does them for me. Follow the rekey thread (it's in my signature) and do the rest of them. If you take the glove box lock out & use those wafers for the spares, then key the ignition, doors, rear trunk, front trunk then the glove box, in that order, you should come pretty close. If you need some extra wafers, at least the exterior stuff is done, so you can drive the car while you source the extras.
+Quote Post
skaufmann
post Jul 18 2012, 02:39 PM
Post #6

Blissfully Ignorant

Awesome help guys!

Is there a source for wafers or am I looking to get them from other salvaged tumblers only?
+Quote Post
markb
post Jul 18 2012, 02:48 PM
Post #7

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(skaufmann @ Jul 18 2012, 01:39 PM) *

Awesome help guys!

Is there a source for wafers or am I looking to get them from other salvaged tumblers only?

Nobody has found a source, other than robbing them. I have extras if you wind up needing them. It's hard to just send an assortment, not knowing what you'll need. That's why I suggest doing what you can with what you have, then at least you've narrowed down what you'll need to finish.
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Jun 27 2013, 08:02 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(markb @ Jul 18 2012, 04:48 PM) *

QUOTE(skaufmann @ Jul 18 2012, 01:39 PM) *

Awesome help guys!

Nobody has found a source, other than robbing them. I have extras if you wind up needing them. It's hard to just send an assortment, not knowing what you'll need. That's why I suggest doing what you can with what you have, then at least you've narrowed down what you'll need to finish.

Tweet now sells new wafers
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Feb 18 2017, 08:19 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 15,382
Region Association: Canada

My car only came with a valet key. Reading on the classic thread, it seems the only difference is the valet key has an additional slot running the length of the key (that interacts with the 'valet wafer' so that it won't unlock locks that are so equipped). So, if I order a new master (black) blank and have a locksmith simply copy the profile of the valet key onto it, will the new master work in the locks for the glovebox and frunk (assuming, of course, that no one ever messed with them and that they're functional).
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Feb 19 2017, 08:09 PM
Post #10

Bump in the hopes that someone with a better understanding of this than me will see it and chime in.
+Quote Post
914 RZ-1
post Feb 19 2017, 09:58 PM
Post #11

Porsche Padawan

Member No.: 18,230

When I got my car I had 3 keys to various combinations of locks! I took all the locks out, and took them to a locksmith. I had him use the ignition key and make ONE key for all the locks. He had the wafers in stock. Cost me about $70.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Feb 20 2017, 06:24 AM
Post #12

Good to know that might be an option.
+Quote Post
slivel
post Feb 20 2017, 11:15 AM
Post #13

Old car....... older driver

Member No.: 2,332

I recently had an extra key made for my 1975 914 and the locksmith didn't have any blanks for Porsche but found that a blank for older VW is the same.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Feb 20 2017, 11:53 AM
Post #14

Hmmm...so maybe I can try it out with a blank from a VW before ordering a Porsche blank...
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Feb 20 2017, 01:17 PM
Post #15

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

The cut is the same on both master and valet. Yes, you can cut a new black key from a red one and it will work. At least three posters have already said that.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Feb 20 2017, 01:26 PM
Post #16

The nuance that was not obvious to me is whether the black master key will work as a master (locking the frunk and glovebox) having been cut from a valet. It seemed like it should but just wanted to be sure. Thanks for confirming.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Feb 20 2017, 02:05 PM
Post #17

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Feb 18 2017, 10:19 PM) *

My car only came with a valet key. Reading on the classic thread, it seems the only difference is the valet key has an additional slot running the length of the key (that interacts with the 'valet wafer' so that it won't unlock locks that are so equipped). So, if I order a new master (black) blank and have a locksmith simply copy the profile of the valet key onto it, will the new master work in the locks for the glovebox and frunk (assuming, of course, that no one ever messed with them and that they're functional).

A good key shop will have suitable blanks (P05). They just won't have the black plastic handle.

The difference between master and valet keys is the vertical alignment of upper and lower "wings" of the key.
Master key wings are offset to opposite sides and valet key wings are inline.

There's a slot in one wafer of the trunk and glove box locks.
The slot aligns with the valet key wing, such that the wafer doesn't move when the key is inserted.

The wafers are numbered 1 thru 4, easily visible with a small magnifier.
The notches on the key can be measured to determine the correct number wafer which corresponds. Deeper notches are higher numbered.
When I have new keys made my locksmith doesn't need an existing key, just the 10 wafer sequence and the correct key ID. He has a programmable key machine.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Feb 20 2017, 02:46 PM
Post #18

Very nice explanation. Thank you!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:14 PM