Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> So mad I could spit!, No start
markb
post Jul 22 2012, 04:18 PM
Post #1

914less :(

Group: Members
Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

Begin rant:

I got a call yesterday from Heath, who is interested in the Red Car. He said he would drive 3 hours from Santa Clara to take a look at it. So I go out & wash the baby so she'll look good. Get it all scrubbed down & dried off, hop in to move it, and no start! No crank, nada. So I start running down in my head what it could be. Last time this happened, at the body shop, when I had it towed to Cap'n Krusty and he looked it over, the relay board had gotten wet. So, I dry off the relay board, pull & dry the relays, plugs, etc. Still no joy. So I think, okay, maybe the starter, so I jump it. Slow, hard turnover. Okay, gotta go to work, so I'll deal with it tomorrow morning before Heath gets here.

This morning I'm up at 8am after getting in bed at 1am from work. Decide I'll start at the beginning. Check & clean all the fuses, even on the relay board. Clean the battery terminals. Clean the grounds. Clean the starter wiring on the starter. Find that the trans ground wire wasn't tight, starter cranks over strong now when jumped, so I figured at least one thing out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Maybe the ignition switch is bad. I just happen to have a new one in the box, so I swap that out. As long as I'm in there, I may as well install the new turn signal switch I've had laying around. If you've done this before, you know you need to pull the knee pad to get everything plugged back in. Still no start. Swap out the relay board with another good one, with different relays, and new fuses. Nope, no difference. Swap the old one (which is a rebuild) back in. I do this once again with a different relay board, fuses & relays, just in case I had 2 bad boards.

Everything else works, fuel pump primes, all the other electrical stuff on the dash works, battery is strong.

Called the Cap'n, and he helps me run down everything, and I think I've covered all the easy stuff. Hook up another ignition setup (housing, switch, etc) under the dash, still nothing. This is driving me up a wall!

Heath showed up & we talked about the car, which he really likes, but doesn't want to commit unless he drives it. Very understandable.

It looks like I'll be calling AAA in the morning to have it towed to the Cap'n & have him figure it out.

I feel terrible to have had Heath drive all that way to look at the car & not have it run. If I wasn't just recovering from the flu, I'd start (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

I hope your day was better than mine, cause mine sucked big time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

Rant over.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 06:04 PM