Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> My First Setback - SUCCESS!, Looks like a bad starter or solenoid
turk22
post Aug 12 2012, 05:28 PM
Post #1

Treetop Flyer

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,725
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hey, so it seems like my starter may have crapped out. Worst part is I think its my fault. I went to start the car, the car was in gear, and it engaged, the car moved forward a little (an inch), and I immediately let off the key. Since that moment, when trying to start, I get a loud click from the starter (or the relay?), but nothing else.

After looking at all the related threads, here's what I've done to test:

- Tried to jump the starter from the yellow wire terminal on the solenoid to the positive on the starter with a screwdriver, just got a weak spark, and the starter did nothing.

- Tried to jump the starter from the positive to the negative side with a jumper cable (If I understand correctly the starter should spin, but the flywheel not engage?). Nothing happened, not a sound, click, or anything.

From what I've been reading it seems like a bad starter.

I know there is probably more to test/eliminate to make sure this is starter issue. But electrical is not my strong suit. I have purchased a multimeter.

- I believe that I need to test the voltage from the yellow lead of the solenoid while cranking the engine. Question: Just ground the meter to the tranny case?

The car was starting fine, and after that one incident, never again. I bump started it, and drove around the block a few time (hoping the starter was just stuck or something), but no luck, same click, no start.

What I'm hoping to do, is rule out other possibilites and then I guess order the replacement starter if that's what needed.

Turk
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 29)
SLITS
post Aug 18 2012, 08:48 AM
Post #21

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

The VOM should have long enough leads that you should be able to clip the + to the yellow wire, set the meter on the trunk or ground so it can be read. ground - lead anywhere on the body and turn the key. You will see what voltage you have at the yellow wire.

+Quote Post
turk22
post Aug 19 2012, 09:28 AM
Post #22

Treetop Flyer

Well, a fellow 914World member (thanks again toadster!) contacted me, and was nice enough to stop over with his new battery to see if perhaps my battery didn't have the needed oomph to turn over the starter.

But no luck, same annoying click, we also cleaned up the bundle of ground connections in the engine compartment behind the drivers seat. He was able to call a mechanic friend who suggested holding the key in the start position for 15 seconds and feel the important connections for heat.

We found that the starter and solenoid motor were quite hot, and the cable from the positive post of the battery to the starter was slightly warm. That cable connector (that also has the 3 red wires attached) seems a little 'crusty' and I will buy a new connector and clean up that connection.

I will also replace the connector on the end of the yellow wire that connects to the solenoid. The fact that the solenoid and starter are so hot, makes me think that there is a problem there. I will also remove the starter and bench test it (my new refurbished Bosch SR17x), just to make sure that it is functioning correctly.

Turk
+Quote Post
Jon H.
post Aug 19 2012, 07:08 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 13,264
Region Association: Canada

Have you tried to jump start the car or at least move the crank postion/fly wheel by pushing the car while in gear? If not try that and then try to start it. It seems to me that you've eliminated almost all of the possible electrical issues and might have to look at something mechanical. That heat is getting generated means that power is getting to where it should and with a new starter it should turn the engine over. I dunno though, I hate tracking electrical problems too! This is a simple circuit too, arrgh! I feel your pain.
+Quote Post
zambezi
post Aug 19 2012, 07:43 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 8,920
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Jon H. @ Aug 19 2012, 08:08 PM) *

Have you tried to jump start the car or at least move the crank postion/fly wheel by pushing the car while in gear? If not try that and then try to start it. It seems to me that you've eliminated almost all of the possible electrical issues and might have to look at something mechanical. That heat is getting generated means that power is getting to where it should and with a new starter it should turn the engine over. I dunno though, I hate tracking electrical problems too! This is a simple circuit too, arrgh! I feel your pain.

This happened to me when my starter was going out. The bendix was getting hung up in the extended position and all I could get was the click sound. I tried rocking the car in gear and it would not go (seemed like the motor was locked up). Once I loosened the bolts to remove the starter I heard a thunk as the bendix retracted and I was then able to turn the motor over. I have since changed to a gear reduction starter and never looked back.
JIM
+Quote Post
turk22
post Aug 20 2012, 03:34 PM
Post #25

Treetop Flyer

SUCCESS!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

I replaced the positive battery terminal connection (you were right toadman!).

and cleaned up the connections on that terminal, and she fired right up!

Attached Image

Attached Image

So I have a good back up starter, and I learned a thing or two.

Attached Image

Thanks everyone for helping, I really appreciate it.

Turk
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Aug 20 2012, 04:50 PM
Post #26

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
turk22
post Aug 20 2012, 05:58 PM
Post #27

Treetop Flyer

Yep, I was just out for a nice drive, what beautiful weather here in Cincinnati this week.

Turk
+Quote Post
toadman
post Aug 20 2012, 06:23 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 5,316

QUOTE(turk22 @ Aug 20 2012, 01:34 PM) *

SUCCESS!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

I replaced the positive battery terminal connection (you were right toadster!).

and cleaned up the connections on that terminal, and she fired right up!

Attached Image

Attached Image

So I have a good back up starter, and I learned a thing or two.

Attached Image

Thanks everyone for helping, I really appreciate it.

Turk

I am glad I was able to help. And, by the way, my name on 914World is Toadman.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 20 2012, 06:56 PM
Post #29

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Did you prep and seal that cable end and those ring terminals so they won't corrode, again. Congrats on the "stick to it-ness", (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
turk22
post Aug 20 2012, 07:29 PM
Post #30

Treetop Flyer

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 20 2012, 08:56 PM) *

Did you prep and seal that cable end and those ring terminals so they won't corrode, again. Congrats on the "stick to it-ness", (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

uh-oh... whatdoihafta do??
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 04:13 PM