Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LSD, Worth the money?
rick 918-S
post Oct 26 2004, 11:05 PM
Post #41

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Group: Members
Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 25 2004, 08:55 PM)
I heard a rumor at the FFC that some of the 914's delivered to the midwest and some of the snow covered parts of the country had factory LSD installed. Is this true and if so What years was this offered?

Lets try this again... Anyone know if this is BS..
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brant
post Oct 27 2004, 08:33 AM
Post #42

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Rick,

no... I've always heard it was true..
problem is that it seems to have been very few.. Not sure if anyone has even seen one... but they apparently were listed in the factory options....

I once saw a option code, or tranny number or some such way to identify if this was included or not..

If there are even any out there, probably the owner of said tranny wouldn't even know it since the clutch adjustment is probably long over due...

Same diff was available on 911's of the same era..
those can be found used and rebuilt.
I remember looking at a rebuilt used one from Car Quipt a couple of years back... think he wanted only 300 less than the new ones were available for at that time.

brant
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Oct 27 2004, 11:05 AM
Post #43

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So, what's the going rate of a LSD, like the ZF or something.
I noticed that the quaife is in the classefieds for about $850 or less:
914club GB offer on quaife
Are the benefits of a ZF at the track worth the price difference (if there is one?) Thanks, just thinking of stuff I'll need when I upgrade the HP.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
davep
post Oct 27 2004, 11:15 AM
Post #44

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(brant @ Oct 27 2004, 06:33 AM)
I once saw a option code, or tranny number or some such way to identify if this was included or not..

brant

Normal trans have an HA prefix, the LSD had a HB prefix as part of the serial number.
Not to say it is still installed. Somewhere in my lit I've seen references to quantities, but it is very low.
+Quote Post
brant
post Oct 27 2004, 12:45 PM
Post #45

914 Wizard

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Oct 27 2004, 10:05 AM)
So, what's the going rate of a LSD, like the ZF or something.
I noticed that the quaife is in the classefieds for about $850 or less:
914club GB offer on quaife
Are the benefits of a ZF at the track worth the price difference (if there is one?)  Thanks, just thinking of stuff I'll need when I upgrade the HP.

Both styles: ZF and TB are available through Paul Guard (or the TB through Quaffe) for about the same price.

figure 1200 to 1400 depending upon the source/weather/what ever....

The group buy at 850 sounds somewhat unrealistic. Don't get me wrong.. I'll be the first to send the money and I want one at 850, its just that I'm skeptical that the company of Quaffe will be willing to make this offer....

NOT much price difference...
If your making long term plans, make sure you factor installation into the cost.
Installation is not trivial, and a bit more indepth than just changing syncros on a tranny.. I only guessing but believe that most shops would charge $300 - $500 installation.

Also, I would like to re-iterate that it is not clear there is a benefit of one style over the other at a track situation.
Depends upon your personal preference, HP, type of corner, driving style, etc....

(I always heard and thought it was a clear decision, but at least my personal opinion at the moment is that it is not clear for most applications and I would love to see actual data or time sheets of comparisons)

brant
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Oct 27 2004, 12:56 PM
Post #46

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

I just bought two from GPR at 1200 each and sent them to Red Beard.....he's keeping one and th eother goes in my V8 box with the H gear....

Dave said that was the best price he could do as there is nt much of a markup on it from HIS price....

So any $850 units are far from realistic.

BTW...the Guard LSD is a Quaife copy....prolly around the same price....rumor has it...Quaife was NOT happy about the copying.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Oct 27 2004, 01:08 PM
Post #47

914 Wizard

QUOTE(mikez @ Oct 27 2004, 11:56 AM)
Dave said that was the best price he could do as there isnt much of a markup on it from HIS price....
So any $850 units are far from realistic.

Mike,

I still want one at 850, but I fear you are correct...
I have a relationship with the local race shop that often undermines the going prices of items...

I asked them for the special price and they said that Quaffee, won't sell them cheaper and there is nearly no mark up...

I know ricer places sell diffs for ricer cars for half of a porsche diff.. I'm guessing that the group buy thread about the ricer shop trying to get us a deal, is based upon their familiarity with HONDA prices....

Still I'll be the first to send $850, if it comes to fruition.
brant
+Quote Post
Downunderman
post Oct 27 2004, 01:37 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 766
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

The certificate of authenticity for my car says it was delivered with an LSD. It was gone when I got the car. I use a ZF type LSD set up at 40/40. Just enough to stop any inside wheel spin but not enough to affect turn in.
+Quote Post
groot
post Oct 27 2004, 02:29 PM
Post #49

Dis member

Member No.: 1,444

I've participated in a group buy for Quaifes before. We bought 2 for VWs and a couple others bought some when we did. The price went from ~$950 (at the time) to $825 because of the group buy.

For some reason, that's how Quaife does business with some people (my guess is anyone who calls them or their distributor about it). I don't understand it, but have witnessed it and believe it can happen.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 27 2004, 03:31 PM
Post #50

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Wow prices sure have gone up!

When I was in high school window pane or purple micro-dot was like $4 a hit.....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/froggy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clown.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 06:05 PM