Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First post by a new owner, First post by a new owner
gollygwagen
post Aug 18 2012, 07:35 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,799
Region Association: None

It came with new stainless lines for the brakes, but the car already had some on it! I'll be attacking the fuel system too. Doing to change out plugs and wires tomorrow and see if that cleans up the way it runs a bit. So much to do on a big project it's hard to decide where to start. I want to keep it a runner through most of the project, so if I can get it to run decent for now I'll focus on everything else. I'll certainly be on the forum a lot learning and asking questions.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
struckn
post Aug 18 2012, 08:30 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 13,764
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Generally speaking the longer it takes the faster it gets done. You need to slow down and do two important things. Learn the pit falls that nearly everyone suffers when just trying to get a dependable teener on the road, and before you get started in a direction that is way ahead of what needs to be done first, check into our World and get some specific advice. Everything you need to know or obtain is here.

Start with finding out what needs immediate fixing, learn what bad things happen to most teeners, and begin with what is called THE HELL HOLE. Rust kills 914's.

Last comment...the stock engine is a blast to drive so don't jump into transplanting something bigger until you experience the fun of driving it with the engine you have. It's air cooled, if you go bigger you are most likely going to need to convert to water cooled and that in it's self is a major job and expensive. It would be faster cheaper to just buy one that somebody else already did.

Doug

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
walterolin
post Aug 18 2012, 09:20 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 13,838
Region Association: South East States

Good advice from Struckn.

I've owned mine for a long time, even though it says newbie by my name. If you are going to drive it, replace the rubber fuel lines first. The fuel ring to the injectors runs about 29 lbs, and old rubber will rupture at that pressure. Also a good idea to replace the plastic fuel lines which run through the tunnel, and the rubber lines at the gas tank. The plastic lines are 40 years old, mine literally crumbled when I pulled them down to take off the clamps.

Secondly, as Struckn says, go look for the rust. Hell hole, under the battery tray will be the worst. Then take off the rocker panels and look at the longitudinals.

This site has everything you need, and lots of people quick to offer help.

Owning one of these things becomes a disease.

Willkommen!
+Quote Post
gollygwagen
post Aug 20 2012, 11:43 AM
Post #24

I'm following this course of action. Just getting it to where I can drive it made me realize that even gutless the car is a fair bit of fun! I'm replacing all the fuel line and looking at moving the pump to the front. I'm also replacing everything in the ignition system and I'll set the valves and timing this week. After that, I'm going after the rust before it gets any worse. I'm looking to move the battery to the front to give me more working room and allow me to attack the hell hole area better.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to enjoy ownership.
+Quote Post
sgh
post Aug 20 2012, 01:33 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 7,094

The Irish Green car looks to have GT spec flares (or it could be the real thing). I have a car configured just like that and the Fuchs sizes that I am running are 7's in the front and 8's in the rear. Tire sizes are 205/50/15 (could be 55) and 225/50/15. There is barely 1/2" clearance in the rear from the flare, but I could be running a spacer (can't remember). I looked at running 9's, but there just isn't enough room.

Good luck with the build.
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Aug 20 2012, 02:06 PM
Post #26

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

Nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Is it really black, or a re-spray to be black? I bought my 914 as black, but it was originally silver. Black is coolest. That forest green is pretty cool too. Original color is always a great choice. When I have $$ to repaint, it will be a tough decision.

Get a fire extinguisher. You'll feel more "race-car" and it may come in handy. I've had to use mine, due to an in-experienced attempt at wiring more power into the dash for accessories.

Learn to use "search" function here. Lots to read!

+Quote Post
Randal
post Aug 20 2012, 02:11 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Aug 20 2012, 01:06 PM) *

Nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Is it really black, or a re-spray to be black? I bought my 914 as black, but it was originally silver. Black is coolest. That forest green is pretty cool too. Original color is always a great choice. When I have $$ to repaint, it will be a tough decision.

Get a fire extinguisher. You'll feel more "race-car" and it may come in handy. I've had to use mine, due to an in-experienced attempt at wiring more power into the dash for accessories.

Learn to use "search" function here. Lots to read!

+1 on using the extinguisher.

Had a wiring issue on the suburban driving back from an autox and the extinguisher (in the race car) saved the chevy. Good to have around.
+Quote Post
dlestep
post Aug 20 2012, 07:21 PM
Post #28

I am smilin'...

Member No.: 8,573

Chuck, (or may I call you "C- H ?")
Welcome to the world of differences, but at least we all have something in common, the 914.
It's a good thing that you have a template to visualize your goal.
I too like that car. I use it as a background every so often. You may like these
photos as well.
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
gollygwagen
post Aug 21 2012, 06:07 AM
Post #29

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Aug 20 2012, 02:06 PM) *

The car is black, and original. I like it, but wanted the contrast of the vinyl on the sail panels. I was actually considering dark red. I have a friend with a 993 in that color and it's really classy.

Been carrying a fire extinguisher, can't be too careful when working withan older unknown car!
+Quote Post
Gint
post Aug 21 2012, 06:16 AM
Post #30

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Welcome Chuck! Got you in Colorado-914 last night. Post a pic of the S4 would ya? I have a Nogaro Blue B5.

Does anyone know what offset I would want on a 7" wheel?

35 mm is perfect for a non-flared car.
+Quote Post
gollygwagen
post Aug 21 2012, 07:41 AM
Post #31

QUOTE(Gint @ Aug 21 2012, 06:16 AM) *

Welcome Chuck! Got you in Colorado-914 last night. Post a pic of the S4 would ya? I have a Nogaro Blue B5.

Does anyone know what offset I would want on a 7" wheel?

35 mm is perfect for a non-flared car.

Nogaro, very nice. Here's a couple of mine. I'm in the middle of dropping the tranny for a new clutch, so the 914 is serving DD duty as I sort it out too. Luckily my commute isn't very far.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/lh4.googleusercontent.com-14799-1345556515.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/lh4.googleusercontent.com-14799-1345556517.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/lh6.googleusercontent.com-14799-1345556517.3.jpg)

If the Colorado 914 guys get together down south I'll try and make it. Looking forward to meeting some other owners, and would love a ride in a few others to get ideas for direction.
+Quote Post
gollygwagen
post Aug 21 2012, 07:43 AM
Post #32

QUOTE(dlestep @ Aug 20 2012, 07:21 PM) *

Welcome to the world of differences, but at least we all have something in common, the 914.
I too like that car. I use it as a background every so often. You may like these
photos as well.

Thank you for those photos! I wish I had a high res version of that first photo, it's my favorite.

You can call me Betty if I can call you Al.
+Quote Post
wingnut86
post Aug 21 2012, 05:17 PM
Post #33

...boola la boo boola boo...

Member No.: 11,645

Vedy nice Audi (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
MDG
post Aug 21 2012, 07:12 PM
Post #34

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

QUOTE(gollygwagen @ Aug 21 2012, 09:43 AM) *

QUOTE(dlestep @ Aug 20 2012, 07:21 PM) *

photos as well.

Thank you for those photos! I wish I had a high res version of that first photo, it's my favorite.

You can call me Betty if I can call you Al.

Welcome and congrats on the car, Chuck.

The wheels in the photos Dave posted of my car are 911 offset Fuchs, 7x16 up front and 8x16 on the backs. The fronts have 1" spacers (those pics are before the spacers were on). Tires are 225/55 up front - 245/50 in the rear. The fenders are nicely filled out. The rear flares required rolling the top middle section of the inner lip.

That car in your first post was destroyed in a roll over and subsequently restored. I believe it is an original -6 with factory flares. I have pics of it somewhere showing the damage and resto.
+Quote Post
MDG
post Aug 21 2012, 07:21 PM
Post #35

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

The car from your initial post:

Ouch!

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Aug 21 2012, 07:50 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 10,305

QUOTE(gollygwagen @ Aug 21 2012, 05:07 AM) *

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Aug 20 2012, 02:06 PM) *

The car is black, and original. I like it, but wanted the contrast of the vinyl on the sail panels. I was actually considering dark red. I have a friend with a 993 in that color and it's really classy.

Been carrying a fire extinguisher, can't be too careful when working withan older unknown car!

Yes, Ruby red with a black red trim. Very classy.

QUOTE(MDG @ Aug 21 2012, 06:21 PM) *

The car from your initial post:

Ouch!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
dlestep
post Aug 21 2012, 08:06 PM
Post #37

I am smilin'...

Member No.: 8,573

Mike, I didn't know that was your car !
I really like those two photos.
I wish you hadn't shown those damage photos though.
It's like finding out that the your wife used to be a "fluffer."
Kind of takes the shine off it.
+Quote Post
MDG
post Aug 21 2012, 09:17 PM
Post #38

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

QUOTE(dlestep @ Aug 21 2012, 10:06 PM) *

I have an entire build book of photos for both my cars and I WILL get around to posting them.

The story I read on that 914-6 flared car in front of the garage is that it is/was owned by a doctor. As I said, real six with factory flares. I may not have all the facts straight but I 'think' his son rolled it. He then had it completely re-done to basically what it was before. He may be from Alabama or Tennessee . . . one of those States in the south east.

I'll look around for them but I have a couple of other pics after the repairs of the same car sitting in front of the same garage beside his Guards Red 930 slant nose.

Here's another of mine taken the day I rolled it out after a year of body work. The off-road look is because there's nothing on it but wheels and suspension.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Aug 22 2012, 12:41 AM
Post #39

Drive Fast and Take Chances

Member No.: 12,156

QUOTE(MDG @ Aug 21 2012, 11:17 PM) *

QUOTE(dlestep @ Aug 21 2012, 10:06 PM) *

I have an entire build book of photos for both my cars and I WILL get around to posting them.

The story I read on that 914-6 flared car in front of the garage is that it is/was owned by a doctor. As I said, real six with factory flares. I may not have all the facts straight but I 'think' his son rolled it. He then had it completely re-done to basically what it was before. He may be from Alabama or Tennessee . . . one of those States in the south east.

I'll look around for them but I have a couple of other pics after the repairs of the same car sitting in front of the same garage beside his Guards Red 930 slant nose.

Here's another of mine taken the day I rolled it out after a year of body work. The off-road look is because there's nothing on it but wheels and suspension.

Attached Image

The green car was owned (at the time of that photo) by a fella in willoughby Ohio. It is/ was an original M471 car. I'll tell you it was probably better to see in person than any other teener I have seen! Too bad it was wrecked... From what I understand it was on its way to a restoration of some sort... That photo is my favorite photo of a flared 914 now it just makes me sad! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
MDG
post Aug 22 2012, 06:03 AM
Post #40

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Chuck - here's that car again after being restored from the wreck. Notice the old air dam spoiler has been replaced with an LE one. Might just be the pic but the Irish Green looks a bit too blue to me. Regardless - the important thing is he saved it!

Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 09:09 PM