Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Doug's A/C System, R&D/Build Thread
ChrisFoley
post Apr 13 2022, 12:24 PM
Post #141

I am Tangerine Racing

Group: Members
Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
Sorry I can't answer your question Fred. It looks good to me but I don't know sh!t about AC control circuits.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Apr 13 2022, 08:23 PM
Post #142

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

You left out the binary pressure switch. Also you want the comp to cycle on and off separate from the fans. Shouldn't be too hard to find a diagram from one of the hotrod sites. AC wiring is basic but not THAT basic.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Apr 14 2022, 04:57 AM
Post #143

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(friethmiller @ Apr 8 2022, 08:55 PM) *

Alright. My 914 is operational! Turning my attention to finally wiring up all my A/C components. Got to get the A/C cooling before the Texas heat set in down here. I've created a very ugly wiring diagram. Anybody see anything incorrect here? I can run the evap from either the #8 or #9 fuse (switched power) or directly from the battery. I ran a separate 10 gauge wire from the battery to the frunk for the condenser fan. Just need to connect all the wires to the components and the relay. Thanks all.

From experience, you probably need two relays, one for the compressor, and one for the fans. If you are running fuel injection, you want to add an idle up device too. Get a tank switching valve for a Ford pickup with dual tanks. Cap the normally open side, and plumb it in parallel with the decel valve. Hook the wire up to another relay. Then once you have the car started and the AC running, you will have to add restrictions to the intake hose of the valve to lower the idle speed. I used a dowel rod the same size as the ID of the hose, and drilled out the center until I got the same idle speed as when the AC was off.

Hope that helps.

Clay
+Quote Post
Rider914
post Apr 14 2022, 12:30 PM
Post #144

Member No.: 1,923

From experience, you probably need two relays, one for the compressor, and one for the fans. If you are running fuel injection, you want to add an idle up device too. Get a tank switching valve for a Ford pickup with dual tanks. Cap the normally open side, and plumb it in parallel with the decel valve. Hook the wire up to another relay. Then once you have the car started and the AC running, you will have to add restrictions to the intake hose of the valve to lower the idle speed. I used a dowel rod the same size as the ID of the hose, and drilled out the center until I got the same idle speed as when the AC was off.

Hope that helps.

Clay
[/quote]

This is genius!
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Apr 14 2022, 02:17 PM
Post #145

Member No.: 22,863

Thanks All! Really appreciate the input. Sorry if I oversimplified the wiring. The instructions (image below) that I received in Custom Auto Air's 914 A/C kit was beyond terrible. While their phone support is good, they don't really know the 914 setup. From what I can gather, this kit was "acquired" when they merged with another company several years back. I'm just trying to figure it out the best I can. I'll see about adding a relay for the compressor. I'm running dual carbs, BTW.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Apr 14 2022, 02:23 PM
Post #146

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Apr 13 2022, 01:24 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
Sorry I can't answer your question Fred. It looks good to me but I don't know sh!t about AC control circuits.

No worries, Chris. You've done plenty already to help my 914! Which, by the way, sounds so sweet with your custom exhaust/muffler. Get a ton of compliments on the sound of my engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Jun 3 2022, 02:50 PM
Post #147

After fixing a leak, and securing a new ground for the evaporator unit, my A/C is finally operational!! I still need to tighten the compressor belt a bit more but she's blowing colld air. Not a moment too soon! It's officially summer here in TX. Shout out to Doug (the OP) and several of the others that have chimed in on this thread. Thanks y'all!!

Here's a pic of the wiring in the frunk with the condenser & dryer

Attached Image

With everything buttoned up:

Attached Image

Pic of the flexible condenser intake flap (part of a door seal from Home Depot):

Attached Image

Pic of compressor with hoses - Note the 2 new 10 gauge wires on the battery for the evap and condenser.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jun 3 2022, 03:25 PM
Post #148

I am Tangerine Racing

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
worn
post Jun 3 2022, 05:33 PM
Post #149

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Congratulations! Did you understand what Clay was saying about a two tank Ford? He is one of the most expert hot weather guys I can think of, but what tanks? Am I too far north?
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Jun 3 2022, 08:55 PM
Post #150

QUOTE(worn @ Jun 3 2022, 06:33 PM) *

Congratulations! Did you understand what Clay was saying about a two tank Ford? He is one of the most expert hot weather guys I can think of, but what tanks? Am I too far north?

I understand and believe you but I don’t have fuel injection. Is there a different solution for carbs? The compressor pulls my idle down a little too low.
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Jun 4 2022, 06:27 AM
Post #151

Member No.: 18,984

I really like the looks of your ac setup maybe try to fit a fast idle solenoid Attached Image
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Jun 4 2022, 06:56 AM
Post #152

thanks! Funny, I was just searching for an idle solenoid for Weber 44s. Might have to use something like this. I was also wondering if Tangerine Racing’s manual idle control might work as well.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jun 4 2022, 03:43 PM
Post #153

I am Tangerine Racing

QUOTE(friethmiller @ Jun 4 2022, 07:56 AM) *

thanks! Funny, I was just searching for an idle solenoid for Weber 44s. Might have to use something like this. I was also wondering if Tangerine Racing’s manual idle control might work as well.

It would probably be useful for that. Although the solenoid applies pressure close to the point of need. The hand throttle applies tension to the throttle cable.
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Jun 4 2022, 04:43 PM
Post #154

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Jun 4 2022, 04:43 PM) *

QUOTE(friethmiller @ Jun 4 2022, 07:56 AM) *

It would probably be useful for that. Although the solenoid applies pressure close to the point of need. The hand throttle applies tension to the throttle cable.

Thanks for the info Chris. Not sure of the lead-time on this but I just ordered your hand throttle kit. I want to be able to control idle myself.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jun 4 2022, 09:57 PM
Post #155

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

QUOTE(friethmiller @ Jun 3 2022, 07:55 PM) *

I understand and believe you but I don’t have fuel injection. Is there a different solution for carbs? The compressor pulls my idle down a little too low.

It's called a choke. There even was an electric version in the 80s lol.
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Jun 6 2022, 08:25 AM
Post #156

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 4 2022, 10:57 PM) *

I don't think I have chokes on my 44 IDF carbs. Haven't been able to find any, manual or electric.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 8 2022, 06:28 AM
Post #157

QUOTE(friethmiller @ Jun 6 2022, 09:25 AM) *

I don't think I have chokes on my 44 IDF carbs. Haven't been able to find any, manual or electric.

Under that cover are two pistons that can be raised up to make the mixture richer for cold running. You need the covers that have the arm and cable mount to make them work. That works fine for cold running but not for idling up for AC compressor load.

Attached Image

You can buy them here: https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/weber-carbu...ting-mechanism/

A kicker solenoid like the one shown previously would work. I have never done one, as I don't like carbs. But you would have to fabricate a bracket to hold it in the right location to open both carbs.

Clay

+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Jun 8 2022, 09:06 AM
Post #158

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 8 2022, 07:28 AM) *

Under that cover are two pistons that can be raised up to make the mixture richer for cold running. You need the covers that have the arm and cable mount to make them work. That works fine for cold running but not for idling up for AC compressor load.

You can buy them here: https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/weber-carbu...ting-mechanism/

A kicker solenoid like the one shown previously would work. I have never done one, as I don't like carbs. But you would have to fabricate a bracket to hold it in the right location to open both carbs.

Clay

Clay, thanks for the info! I hear ya on the carbs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) As you know, chokes aren't exactly necessary items down here in Texas. I'll look into the solenoid option. Pulling the acceleration cable slightly or something on the master carb (manual or automatic) is all I need. I'm running Tangerine's pulley system.

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 9 2022, 05:52 AM
Post #159

QUOTE(friethmiller @ Jun 8 2022, 10:06 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 8 2022, 07:28 AM) *

Clay

Clay, thanks for the info! I hear ya on the carbs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) As you know, chokes aren't exactly necessary items down here in Texas. I'll look into the solenoid option. Pulling the acceleration cable slightly or something on the master carb (manual or automatic) is all I need. I'm running Tangerine's pulley system.

If I were doing it, I would put it in the tunnel next to the bell crank on the pedal box. Make it push on the linkage like the hand throttle does.

Clay
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Jun 9 2022, 12:06 PM
Post #160

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 9 2022, 06:52 AM) *

If I were doing it, I would put it in the tunnel next to the bell crank on the pedal box. Make it push on the linkage like the hand throttle does.

Clay

Oh! I like that idea too! Thanks.
+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 04:31 AM