Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Very Rough, Low Idle and Missing - Help!, 73 D-Jet - SOLVED!
76-914
post Aug 28 2012, 07:55 AM
Post #21

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

That fuel filter isn't that difficult to R&R. Drain the tank as much as possible. As you lift each side the rubber isolators will pull up and out. After they're removed the tank will shift about quite easily. Lift the pass side up as much as possible, brace the tank so it doesn't slip down and disconnect the hoses. If you've drained most of the gas out then what's left will be to the drivers side and won't leak out when the hose clamps are removed. Pull the tank; R&R hoses/filter; reassemble. PM me if you still need an ECU. kent
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Aug 28 2012, 10:43 PM
Post #22

Best friends

Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) !!!!!!!!

Replacing the distributor did the trick. Of course I don't know yet which part of the distributor caused the problem, but with the spare distributor in place the car runs as smooth as butter. I put about 50 miles on it tonight and it never burped or hiccuped even once. Besides that, the idle never did the drop/rise thing when I stopped for a traffic light. Warmed up, it idles nice a smooth at 950 and there are no changes to the rhythm of the exaust at idle when I hold my hand behind the tailpipe.

I'll be checking the vacuum on the distributor can, but I really suspect the injector points are the issue. Fortunately, I have a spare set that is supposedly good, but I doubt that I'll have time to test them out before RRC due to the Labor Day weekend.

When I started on this, I suspected anything other than the distributor since I had it professionally rebuilt just a few hundred miles ago (last summer), and that included setting the injector points. These are old cars and things happen so even when it's not what I expect, I'm never surprised.

Thanks to all of you for your help and advice!

Okay, now it's time to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) - Beaver, UT here we come!
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Aug 28 2012, 10:51 PM
Post #23

Best friends

Member No.: 231

One more thing....

I'm still running the 012 CHT that I got from GPR. I'm running it without the add-on resistor that I had with the stock 017. I have no instruments to test CO, etc, but it seems to drive very nicely. As a test, I took it out on the freeway and accelerated from 75 MPH up to 105 and it felt good. Oil temps looked just like I would expect them to be, but I don't have a cylinder head temp gauge to have an indication of whether my head temps are good.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 29 2012, 06:48 AM
Post #24

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

Great news, i am not surprised. I have chased my tail 3x only to find out it was a issue with the injector triggers gettng dirty or worn. It will act like bad gas or a bad ground etc. (Thats why i suggested it last weekend) but you also know you have all the other stuff you ruled out that is good to go! It gets very frustrating but rewarding at the same time!

QUOTE(ThinAir @ Aug 29 2012, 12:43 AM) *

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) !!!!!!!!

Replacing the distributor did the trick. Of course I don't know yet which part of the distributor caused the problem, but with the spare distributor in place the car runs as smooth as butter. I put about 50 miles on it tonight and it never burped or hiccuped even once. Besides that, the idle never did the drop/rise thing when I stopped for a traffic light. Warmed up, it idles nice a smooth at 950 and there are no changes to the rhythm of the exaust at idle when I hold my hand behind the tailpipe.

I'll be checking the vacuum on the distributor can, but I really suspect the injector points are the issue. Fortunately, I have a spare set that is supposedly good, but I doubt that I'll have time to test them out before RRC due to the Labor Day weekend.

When I started on this, I suspected anything other than the distributor since I had it professionally rebuilt just a few hundred miles ago (last summer), and that included setting the injector points. These are old cars and things happen so even when it's not what I expect, I'm never surprised.

Thanks to all of you for your help and advice!

Okay, now it's time to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) - Beaver, UT here we come!

+Quote Post
AZ914
post Aug 29 2012, 07:46 AM
Post #25

914 Dumbass

Member No.: 98

Awesome Ernie!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 29 2012, 08:29 AM
Post #26

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 09:54 AM