Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Competition newb looking for suit - is this a deal?
smj
post Aug 23 2012, 01:32 PM
Post #1

"Dude, Steve from Berkeley."

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,691
Region Association: Northern California

I've caught a LeMons seat, and one of the things I haven't needed before is an SFI-rated driving suit. Since ambient temperature at this venue (Thunderhill) is typically 85-105 this time of year I'm a little concerned about the cheaper multi-layer suits not breathing well.

In my search I came across the Lico/Sparco Jewel Top Suit at Wine Country Motorsports for $350. It looks like a close-out, but they seem to have a good variety of sizes even though I didn't find a lot of other sites carrying it.

Anybody have an opinion about that suit? Recommendation for something better in that price range?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Aug 23 2012, 02:31 PM
Post #2

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413

Shop on the LeMons store.

http://store.24hoursoflemons.com/category/?tag=safety

KT
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 23 2012, 04:53 PM
Post #3

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

You can get used Driver Suits ( some Famous Drivers) on eBay. I collect mostly Helmets but good suits are available Cheap

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Suits-/173680/i.html?_vxp=mtr

These are some that I have picked up

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Aug 23 2012, 10:15 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

T.C's suits are badass. However, if you buy one on Ebay and plan to use it to race in, be aware that you'll need to send it back to the manufacturer to get re-certified for SFI specs. That is assuming that the suit is in good enough condition that they will do so. I dunno, I think the suit you were looking at seems like a decent deal. Sparco makes good stuff. I went the el-cheapo route, but I'm still pretty happy. Breathes enough for me.
+Quote Post
smj
post Aug 23 2012, 10:26 PM
Post #5

Trekkor - Thanks, did check there first then broadened the search. Couple of the guys bought a package and the only thing they grumbled about was the helmet shape. And for that I was going to stick with a manufacturer I already know has a compatible head shape.

TC - Interesting idea, thankee...

George - Good feedback, thanks.
+Quote Post
RSrocket
post Aug 29 2012, 04:36 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 14,480
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(smj @ Aug 23 2012, 12:32 PM) *

I've caught a LeMons seat, and one of the things I haven't needed before is an SFI-rated driving suit. Since ambient temperature at this venue (Thunderhill) is typically 85-105 this time of year I'm a little concerned about the cheaper multi-layer suits not breathing well.

In my search I came across the Lico/Sparco Jewel Top Suit at Wine Country Motorsports for $350. It looks like a close-out, but they seem to have a good variety of sizes even though I didn't find a lot of other sites carrying it.

Anybody have an opinion about that suit? Recommendation for something better in that price range?

IIRC, the Lico/Sparco suits are not Nomex, they are a fire retardant treated cotton. I don't remember what the SFI rating is so you might have to wear Nomex underware. I am also not sure how long the suit lasts.

I would go into a shop and "physically" with your mouth try and blow through the suit. That would typically let you know how well it breathes.

For a little bit more $ you should be able to find a Sparco or OMP that meets your needs. You can find some older models for a decent price.

BTW, I tried on many suits befor I made "my" first purchase. They all seem to fit a little bit different.

Maybe I'll see ya at a LeMons event (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Good Luck,
Ron
+Quote Post
smj
post Sep 2 2012, 02:54 AM
Post #7

That's good advice Ron, thanks. Nothing beats doing this kind of shopping in person.

The particular Lico suit in question is rated SFI 3.2A/5, and OGRacing says it "features a light-weight 3-layer Nomex construction."

Which matters not at all because Wine Country said they didn't have it in my size. I'm a little pissed, as they're *still* showing it on their web site as available in every size from 48-66... Anyway, I went for the OMP OS20 suit instead.

Hope to see you there!
+Quote Post
RSrocket
post Sep 4 2012, 05:16 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 14,480
Region Association: Southern California

Great choice, can't go wrong with an OMP. Plus it's SFI & FIA rated (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:23 AM