Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mainely Custom Oil Temp Gauge, How does it fit?
m170seeker
post Aug 27 2012, 12:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,235
Region Association: Southwest Region

I just bought the Mainley Oil Temp Gauge that replaces the dip stick. The gauge is the same length as my dip stick but I cannot get it to go into the tube the last inch or so. Has anyone experienced this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Aug 27 2012, 12:42 PM
Post #2

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have one. It has a little pinch to hold it in place in the tube. I just pushed down on it a bit and it went in.

Be sure that it actually needs to go in the last inch though. Compare oil levels with the old dipstick and the new one to make sure you aren't trying to push it down too far. This is probably not the case, but better safe then sorry.
+Quote Post
m170seeker
post Aug 27 2012, 12:59 PM
Post #3

Thanks. It still does need to go in the last inch (or just less) per the oil level. I push the heck out of it but no luck. What is at the bottom of the tube (i.e. what will I ruin if I cram it on in)?
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Aug 27 2012, 01:45 PM
Post #4

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Call Mainley. They have good customer service. See what they have to say before cramming anyhting.
(207) 698-7646

Zach
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 27 2012, 03:53 PM
Post #5

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The bottom of the dipstick is just above the edge of the "taco plate"; the round sump plate held in with two bolts.

--DD
+Quote Post
m170seeker
post Aug 28 2012, 07:51 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 27 2012, 04:53 PM) *

The bottom of the dipstick is just above the edge of the "taco plate"; the round sump plate held in with two bolts.

--DD

Thanks.
+Quote Post
toadman
post Aug 29 2012, 01:34 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 5,316

QUOTE(m170seeker @ Aug 27 2012, 10:35 AM) *

I just bought the Mainley Oil Temp Gauge that replaces the dip stick. The gauge is the same length as my dip stick but I cannot get it to go into the tube the last inch or so. Has anyone experienced this?

This happened to me, too, but mine went in a little further than yours. I got a note from Mainley with my dipstick that said the dipstick tube needs to be perfectly straight for their dipstick to seat properly. Mine is not perfectly straight. I contacted them and they said I could send it back but I like their temp gauge so much that I kept it and figured out a way to firmly seat it as far as it will go. I know that a good part of the tip contacts the oil so I am confident of the temp readings that I get. I drive with it in place and check my oil temps when I need to. I have re-marked it to show the proper oil level but it is difficult to read. Until I figure out a really good way to mark it, I keep the original distick in the driver's map pocket in case there is ever a question about the proper oil level.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 04:35 PM