Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> She way too horny!
GulleyGulley
post Aug 28 2012, 07:15 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,243
Region Association: None

Replaced my wiper and directional switches on the column recently. After putting everything back together, my horn now goes off when I turn the steering wheel. I'm assuming I must have messed up a ground somewhere, but I can't find the ground wire for the horn. Is that part of the wire loom in the directional switch.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 28 2012, 08:29 AM
Post #2

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

Depends on the year of your car:

Early ('69 - mid? '72) you have an elongated spring loaded button that goes from the contact ring to the steering wheel center pad.

Late (mid '72 - up) you have a brown wire that comes up from the contact ring (essentially) and hooks to a spade terminal on the steering wheel center pad.

Both are grounds which complete the electrical circuit when the center pad is pushed.

When not pushed, it usually means one is contacting metal due to a frayed wire or improper assembly.
+Quote Post
GulleyGulley
post Aug 28 2012, 01:35 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,243

Its a 73. The horn will go off with or without the horn button connected. Is there a ground wire in the wire bundle for the wipers and directionals?
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 28 2012, 04:15 PM
Post #4

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

There is a ground wire on the combination switch that runs from terminal 31 on the switch to Ground Connection B, but that's not the one that would activate the horn.

There is a wire (brown/ white trace) that runs from the horn relay to terminal 37 on the combo switch. It is actually the ground for the solenoid in the relay. When the circuit is completed by activating the relay (pushing the center of the steering wheel), power goes to the horns.

I have never located a "horn relay", but the wiring diagram says there is one.

The power wire is black w/ yellow trace that runs from the relay to the horn(s). Power lead to the relay is from fuse #8.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 01:49 PM