Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT - I forgot how much it sucks to put a dog down, A positive one year update on an old thread.
bigkensteele
post Sep 6 2012, 10:03 PM
Post #1

Major Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

We weren't even looking for a dog when she came to us. She was a blue healer (Australian cattle dog), and a friend of the family had taken her in from the Humane Society as a work dog, as he worked horses on a ranch in the Carolinas. They told him that she had been abused and abandoned.

She ended up being a horrible herder, but a great pet. He didn't need a pet, so he brought her to my parents' house on Christmas day, 2001 in the hopes that my folks would take her, as they had recently lost a great old German shepherd. They were also recently retired and really didn't want another dog at that stage.

My wife and I arrived a little later, and I see KD and ask who she belongs to as I lean down to greet her. She damn near barreled me over, and she is only 35 pounds. As I am petting her, the friend says that she is ours if we want her. Now, my wife was 7 months pregnant with our first child and not really a big fan of dogs larger than a dust mop, but she saw her in my lap and just how much love that dog had in her heart, and she said, "We'll take her".

We brought her home and she never barked once until two months later when we brought our daughter home from the hospital. If there was knock on the door or the doorbell rang, she went nuts. She was the most protective and affectionate dog I have ever met.

My daughters are now 10 and 6, and the dog is probably 15 or older. For the first few years, KD wasn't much more than a moving piece of furniture to them. She stood by and watched over them protectively, but they didn't interact much. However, over the last three or four years, my oldest daughter, Harper, had developed a great love for KD, and they had become the best of friends.

She stopped eating earlier this week. She would often go a day without eating, but never three. She had been in a state of decline for the last few months, but it had accelerated rapidly over the last few weeks. So, my wife took her to the vet this afternoon, and they did blood work, x-rays and and ultrasound. She had a mass on her spleen the size of a softball. Surgery was an "option", but it wouldn't have bought her much time, if she lived through it.

I had to have my first dog put down on my 19th birthday, and I couldn't handle it, so my brother stayed with her. I'm 43 now, and have lived through the loss of grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc., but I had never had to make the decision that a living being should live or die and stay with them while it was carried out.

So, Libby and the girls said their good-byes, and I knew in my heart that I owed it to this beautiful girl to comfort her in her final moments, just as she had been a comforting soul by my side for the last 10 years. So I stayed with KD through the end, and it was one of the most, if not the most painful experiences of my life, and I have had a few.

Sorry for the downer. I know that losing a dog is not the end of the world, and pales in comparison to the losses that many here have experienced. I just needed to get it out of my head and into written form.

KD and her best friend...
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 6 2012, 11:00 PM
Post #2

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Sorry Ken. I went through this a year ago though I didn't have to make a decision to have her put down...

Mine had been with us almost 17 years...
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Sep 6 2012, 11:03 PM
Post #3

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

Sorry to hear about your loss. I will be truly heart broken when my dog has her time.

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 6 2012, 11:03 PM
Post #4

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Yes, sucks big time.

Remember the good times ...
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Sep 6 2012, 11:16 PM
Post #5

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Bummer indeed... I still tear up when I think about the day we let Lindo go. Aweful experience.
+Quote Post
speed metal army
post Sep 6 2012, 11:19 PM
Post #6

Waiting for the rain to stop...

Member No.: 12,137
Region Association: Canada

Its soooo shitty. Im sorry. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Sep 6 2012, 11:22 PM
Post #7

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

I was trying to avoid this thread as I'm getting close to the same with my Aussie (he's 15 and slowly declining). As painful as it must've been, glad you were there with her. I feel I owe it to my guy, one of my biggest fears is that I won't be there for him after all the times he was there for me. Sorry for your loss, but it sounded like she had a good life with you and yours.
+Quote Post
Valy
post Sep 6 2012, 11:52 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 11,573

Been through this a couple of years ago. My dog was 18.
I still have a picture of her in my office.

Be brave!
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Sep 7 2012, 12:39 AM
Post #9

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

As I sit here with my adopted 11+ yr old golden retriever, I think that this day will eventually come for me too. I feel for ya, and I'm glad that you took the time to write out the story. All dogs deserve the best we can give them, in my opinion. Here's to the memories of them all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Sep 7 2012, 04:26 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351

We lost our beloved chocolate lab Cocoa three years ago. I think of him everyday.

I lost my best friend on August 24, 2009. Our beloved 14 year old lab, Cocoa, had to be put to sleep because his hind legs stop working because of nerve or spinal damage. One thing Cocoa loved to do more than anything was swim! My twins, who were at UGA at the time, came up for the weekend to say their final goodbye. We took Cocoa to Lake Rabun for a farewell swim. I have captured the moment in video, pictures, and music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ZVL4bu62k
+Quote Post
bcheney
post Sep 7 2012, 04:55 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,348

Hang in there...Today...more than ever we all need friends. Losing one is painful. However, the gifts she gave you and your family are the most important things to remember and cherish. I believe she was placed in your life for a "reason" and now everyone in your family...and that she touched...can simply say "Thank You" KD for bringing so much love and laughter into our lives...we will always remember you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Jgilliam914
post Sep 7 2012, 06:19 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I hear ya bro! 4 years ago I had to put down my kids and mine best friend. He was a Rottweiler 100 pounds of stubborness but what a great dog! he left a impression on all of us that it is rare when we all get together that a new story isnt brought up. he was only with our family 9 years and Rottys do not live all that long historically.
3 days before I met my future wife Daphne was left abandoned in a state park near my home. A woman found her with a collar and leash still attached wandering and looking for her family. The dog did not have any tags nor was she chipped. This woman tried for 2 weeks with ads in the paper and calling all the local shelters to see of anyone lost their pet. With no luck she turned to a another friend to foster the dog till Daphne could find a forever home. This friend knowing I have had Rottweilers before called and asked if I would foster her and it took me two seconds to say " I wont foster her but if you want her to have a permanent home I can provide that" I believe we dont pick our pets. I believe our pets pick us! She is a older Dog around 8 or so and knowing what I went through with the previous Rott I know our time with her will be short. I know we will be in for more heartache one day soon but you just have to love them as they love you and appreciate all the time you get to have with them.
My heart goes out to you and your family. You may get another dog someday but the memories with KD will last forever.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 7 2012, 06:22 AM
Post #13

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

I am saddened and touched by your story. I know what you went through as do most of us I suspect. I feel sorry for you and your family and know that KD had a great life with a loving family. When the time is right get another dog and and share that love with them too.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Sep 7 2012, 06:58 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Sorry for your loss.

I've been supporting my Porsche habit and family by being a veterinarian for the last 32 years, and this is always a tough thing to go through. I often find myself tearing up when I see the grief that owners feel when it's time to say goodbye.

A few years ago, my mother was in the final weeks of hospice care for terminal cancer. My brother, a human anesthesiologist, was in town and we were both by her bedside. She looked at us and said "you both know how you could help me end my suffering, but won't, what did I spend all that money sending you to school for?". Kind of puts a spin on the situation as we all want to prevent suffering of our loved ones! Luckily, she passed peacefully a week later by herself, but if she had the alternative, she would have gladly taken it,

I think we can be more "humane" when it comes to our pets and not put them through the suffering that some poor folks have to endure.

With time, the good memories will outlive the pain you're feeling these days.
+Quote Post
dale73914
post Sep 7 2012, 07:22 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 13,562
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

we have been through this three times over the last 20 years, two Rotties and a dingo / border ollie cross. each one a beloved family member and each time truly heartbraking. i have been with them to the end, and as much as it breaks my heart and i am a blubbering mess, i think i oe=we it to them for the selfless love these animals have shown us.

My deepest condolences for you loss.

Dale
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Sep 7 2012, 07:50 AM
Post #16

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

I'm sorry to hear that, Ken. When the time comes, there's no easy way to do it. I still miss my baby Althea who was with me for over 15 years.

You may have seen this story before, since it's been going around for a while, but I find it resonates with me...

Why Dogs Don't Live Longer

I was called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. I was his veterinarian. His owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn’t do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker’s family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker’s transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker’s Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up and said, “I know why.”

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I’d never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, “People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life—like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?” The six-year-old continued, “Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don’t need to stay as long.”
+Quote Post
ww914
post Sep 7 2012, 07:52 AM
Post #17

914 Convert

Member No.: 13,621
Region Association: Central California

It is pretty obvious that there are many dog lovers in this group. I am one of them as I have had dogs since I was a child, and that my friends was a long time ago. Last year when I had to put Woody down, I held his little head until he took his last breath. I could see in his eyes that he loved me for being there. No, I am not that strong, I could not hold back the tears. Our dogs give us so much unconditional love. I guess that is what makes it so tough when we have to pull the plug.
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Sep 7 2012, 08:48 AM
Post #18

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

Thanks to all for the kind replies, and very helpful insight. I think that most everyone who brings a pet into their home is aware that THE day will come, yet we bring them in anyway, knowing that the relationship will be well worth the heartache.

Again, thanks everyone.
+Quote Post
pt_700
post Sep 7 2012, 09:53 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 11,430

i'm so sorry for your loss. i've been there a few times myself, an act that will hopefully be repeated (provided i outlive 'em) several more times. you've made a throw away dog a very lucky girl and hopefully after the grieving finishes, you and your family will have room in your hearts for another.

one thing i wanted to bring up was the logistics of this final thing we do for them. my 1st rottie was diagnosed with cancer and due to factors like age, poor odds for a positive outcome and expense, we elected to take her home and spoil her until the end. that ended up being a lot sooner than expected and we wound up at an emergency vet late that evening when she began having difficulty breathing. i'm still haunted by the look in her eyes when the vet took her into a back room to install the hep loch (i.v. attachment). thankfully, the euthanasia itself was performed in our presence. between that, the cremation and getting the ashes in a nice little wooden box (that i couldn't open!), we were out $800!

fast forward several years and the next rottie, also with cancer. this time i had the luxury of being able to do some research. not wanting to repeat the somewhat cold clinical experience of poor sophie's end, i found a mobile vet. the euthanasia was performed at my home and the vet delivered the body to a local potter (those 2 often work together) who does pet cremations on the side. i got the ashes back in a beautiful wooden box (that i could open!) with a nice photo tile of molly, my pretty girl, inlaid in the lid. whole thing was like $300.

i currently have 2, an 11 yr. old rottie mix and a 3 yr. old pit bull mix. i'm hoping these guys are still in business when that sad day comes...
+Quote Post
6freak
post Sep 7 2012, 10:09 AM
Post #20

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

all dogs go to heaven...and play in fields of scooby snacks and chew toys
sorry bout you pup (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:23 PM