Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Engine rebulid fun, Jim Thorusen's old car
Java2570
post Sep 15 2012, 07:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,035
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hi all - I've been on 914World for a while now and don't really post much. I purchased my 74 914 in May of 2010 from Pasadena, CA. It previously belonged to Jim Thorusen,
perhaps some of you old timer's remember him from the PP board?
Jim had sold the car in 2009 to Juilan Bunn and I bought it from him. Jim had made
some observations about this car's valve issues, particularly the shifting of the #4 intake valve. He had said that the valve lifter was mushroomed in the case and that
valve had to be set larger than spec. I knew of this when I got the car and since I got it for a good price, I figured I'd have a go at fixing it. I recently dropped the motor
and disassembled it to find that indeed the lifter was stuck in the case but was not
mushroomed at all. The real issue is the camshaft and cam bearings are totally trashed! The case is in good shape, the crank, rods and P & C look good also. I am
now sourcing parts to make a stock rebuild. I decided that I will put this engine back
to stock to see what kind of power I was missing and then I will put together a
modified one using a spare 1.7L case I have. So far, it's been fun and I'm looking forward to getting this one back together and then in the future building a 2056 or 2270....
Anyway, just wanted to say hello and wanted to share some photos of the car
and engine.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 02:32 AM