Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Time to Kick the tires and light the fires
pitr256
post Sep 19 2012, 09:26 AM
Post #1

Peter Milleson

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,645
Region Association: None

Hi 914 gurus!

I finally got the motivation to get my Dad's old 914-6 back up and running. It has been sitting in garage for the last 15 years. I parked it shortly after I inherited the car because of oil streaming out the right side of the engine.

It's been a long (and wonderful) process of trying to get the car running again. Pulled out the fuel tank to scrub, replaced the center fuel lines, pulled the engine to be rebuilt (turned out the oil leaking was caused by a couple of broken cylinder rings), cleaned the webers, re-greased all the wheels and bearings, and then put everything back together.

We're in the final stages of assembling everything (waiting on a couple of gaskets and stud bolts) but hopefully by this weekend we will be able to fire up the engine for the first time in far too long.

And I'm really nervous about firing up the engine for the first time in years and years mainly because of how much effort we've put in to get it to this point and I don't want to waste all that effort by forgetting something trivial.

So my plan is to disconnect the fuel pump and let the engine spin over a few times to get all the oil back to the places it needs to go. Then once satisfied that there's oil back in the system, hook the fuel pump back up and see if she fires up.

Is there anything else I should be thinking of doing before I'm ready for the engine to actually kick over? Besides making sure it's in neutral? rofl

Thanks!

Peter
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 04:13 PM