Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1976 2.0 FI - Georgia. $3,000, It looks pretty good, runs great, has rust.
914Buford
post Oct 6 2012, 07:41 PM
Post #1

I'm new here ...

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,009
Region Association: None

Selling my 76 914 because I no longer have the room, the time for it, or the know how to fix. I've owned her for over 5 years.

As you can tell from the pictures, she looks pretty good from far, but does have paint bubbles and rust issues. She runs great and fires right up every time. Since this is a 76, it obviously has the 2.0 liter engine, and has the original fuel injection system. Has the 2 liter four lug Fuch's. The tires are good. Stainless steel heat exchangers. Bumper rubber is in great shape. Has the optional fog lights. All glass is good. Fun to drive.

The bad is she does have the expected 914 rust issues. If I was able to weld, I'd be cutting out the bad metal, and welding in good, but I unfortunately do not know how to weld. And I do not trust myself enough for this to be my first welding project. With the top off, the doors open and close just fine, and I can stand on the longs and bounce, and there is no flex. There is rust in the longs, but it is no where near the kind of damage I've seen in other cars. There is rust in the front floor pan area, and rust in the front tunnel. Front right fender has a dent.

She is a good candidate for someone who wants a driver that they are just going to patch weld, or for someone who needed all the working parts of a good running car for there good tub. It would be good if anyone interested knew their way around a welder. I have a handful of extra parts and pieces that will come with the car. Have been collecting sheet metal for the needed welding. I have an extra drivers door , left floor pan, gas tank, a few fenders, etc, etc. I welcome any questions, and test drives are welcome if you are serious about buying.

I have it listed locally on Craigs List for 3,900. It was a starting price to put out there to see what kind of interest I got. After talking to some people more knowledgeable than I, I know price I should be asking is more in the 3k range. I'd rather not part her out. I'd like her to be driven off by a new owner.

I'll get more pic's of anything anyone asks for. I just became a member of 914world tonight. I've been a member of 194Club for three or four years.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
porsha916
post Oct 11 2012, 08:11 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,137

Hi, I like the car, do you have more pictures of rust, and the back of the rear trunk, inside behind the seats, inner rockers, and floors? Please send them to porsha916@msn.com. Do you think the car is up for a trip to central New York state? What is the closest airport that has commercial flights?
Take Care
Bill
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Oct 13 2012, 07:25 AM
Post #3

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(porsha916 @ Oct 11 2012, 10:11 PM) *

What is the closest airport that has commercial flights?
Take Care
Bill

He's in Atlanta...only the busiest airport in the US (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
porsha916
post Oct 13 2012, 08:06 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,137

How about the answers to the other questions!!! BILLH1963 do you think the 914 is up to a trip to New York State? And have you seen the 914? Do you have any pictures of the 914 rust problem areas? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Take Care
Bill
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Oct 14 2012, 03:22 PM
Post #5

Car Hoarder!

QUOTE(porsha916 @ Oct 13 2012, 10:06 PM) *

How about the answers to the other questions!!! BILLH1963 do you think the 914 is up to a trip to New York State? And have you seen the 914? Do you have any pictures of the 914 rust problem areas? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Take Care
Bill

I checked on this car when it was on craigslist. I spoke at length to the owner and he took a bunch of pictures. I passed on the car because I don't need another car requiring rust repair (Ii have enough of those already (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) ).

He bought the car from a certain place in Atlanta for a lot more money than his asking price. The rust was well camoflauged (no accusations on who did it....just a statement).

The engine apparently runs very strong (with FI) and the interior is good. He has done the "jump on the longs test" and the car doesn't flex...a good sign. I think the car could probably make it to NY from the description.

For what you can probably get the car for, the parts are worth it.

+Quote Post
914Buford
post Oct 16 2012, 12:12 AM
Post #6

I'm new here ...

Sorry porsha916, I actually sent you a reply directly to the e-mail address listed, with another pic. I was away from this specific pc, which I have my 914World username and password in a text doc.

It should be able to make a trip. It would scare me to take it that far from home base, but that is simply because I have not before. 120 miles round trip is the most I've done.

So is the porsha916@msn.com a good e-mail address for you? Did my e-mail go through? Sent at 12:54 pm and 1:03 pm on Sat.

And thanks Bill for passing on some of the knowledge you have gathered about the car. I will try to post some more pics, but a lot of the pic's I took were higher resolution shots. The low resolution ones I initially posted.

Added 3 more of the low res pic's.
Top and bottom of rear trunk. The rust you see is just surface rust.
Front trunk. Was cut for AC unit.
Inside of car. I have steering wheel pad on now.
Paint Bubble on drivers door.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
AutoAtlanta_Leo
post Oct 30 2012, 11:57 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 12,464

Would you take $1500 cash
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Oct 30 2012, 12:10 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,961

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

QUOTE(AutoAtlanta_Leo @ Oct 30 2012, 10:57 AM) *

+Quote Post
billh1963
post Oct 30 2012, 12:29 PM
Post #9

Car Hoarder!

Hmmmm.......

They sold it for almost 4 times that much and want to buy it back to flip it again!

Wow...just wow! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
RFoulds
post Oct 30 2012, 12:42 PM
Post #10

Green Teen 66

Member No.: 10,656
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(AutoAtlanta_Leo @ Oct 30 2012, 10:57 AM) *

Really. Geez, Leo. WTF?

Anyway, sending the car info to a buyer in your area.
+Quote Post
914Buford
post Oct 30 2012, 07:14 PM
Post #11

I'm new here ...

Seeing as I got it from AA 5 and a half years ago for 5k, and added the fuch's, and a number of other things (sun visors and good antenna are only things that come to mind off hand right now, but I put in about 1.5 k more), 1.5k seems a little insulting. The car is in no worse shape than when I drove it off the lot. But you live an learn.

Thanks guys for the support. I should have gotten on this forum years ago.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Oct 30 2012, 07:26 PM
Post #12

Car Hoarder!

QUOTE(914Buford @ Oct 30 2012, 09:14 PM) *

But you live an learn.

I should have gotten on this forum years ago.

Indeed! I have paid lots of stupid tax with zeroes on the end over the years of car buying. This forum will help you avoid that (if you listen)! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jstill
post Nov 1 2012, 03:16 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 15,102

Still have this car? I'm looking for AX and am in Atlanta this Sat. If rust is cosmetic I will get close to yoru price. js

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 30 2012, 08:26 PM) *

QUOTE(914Buford @ Oct 30 2012, 09:14 PM) *

But you live an learn.

I should have gotten on this forum years ago.

Indeed! I have paid lots of stupid tax with zeroes on the end over the years of car buying. This forum will help you avoid that (if you listen)! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
oldschool
post Nov 1 2012, 04:01 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 13 2012, 06:25 AM) *

QUOTE(porsha916 @ Oct 11 2012, 10:11 PM) *

What is the closest airport that has commercial flights?
Take Care
Bill

He's in Atlanta...only the busiest airport in the US (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

lol true (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
Attached Image
Ask me how I know.....
Sorry I can't flip the image..
+Quote Post
914Buford
post Nov 2 2012, 07:56 PM
Post #15

I'm new here ...

The rust is not cosmetic. Car is still solid enough, but there is a lot of rust repair that needs to be done. I honestly do not think it is worth fixing properly, unless you have lots of money and your goal was to save a 914 from oblivion. And that is a great goal, but I do not think most of us have the disposable income to use for this noble cause.

What I do think is if someone wanted a good strong running 914 that they would do some rust patching, knowing that the car will never be perfect, then this could be the car. Cut out some rust, do some ugly welding over top, and keep driving. As you can see from the pic's, she does look pretty good.

I drove her today to and from work, and enjoyed the drive back more because I don't have all the parts on for the heater, and it was a wee bit chilly this morning. (never put the pieces back that I had to take off to get alternator in and out.)

I have a potential buyer and am waiting on his funds to come. I've actually pulled my ad off of craigs list. But I think it will be two more weeks before we make the deal. It is funny, as soon as I thought I had a buyer, and I was going to not have a 914, I started looking at other people's 914's for sale... I think there is something wrong with my head.
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Nov 3 2012, 04:41 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 9,961

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

You R now a card carrying member !

QUOTE(914Buford @ Nov 2 2012, 06:56 PM) *

The rust is not cosmetic. Car is still solid enough, but there is a lot of rust repair that needs to be done. I honestly do not think it is worth fixing properly, unless you have lots of money and your goal was to save a 914 from oblivion. And that is a great goal, but I do not think most of us have the disposable income to use for this noble cause.

What I do think is if someone wanted a good strong running 914 that they would do some rust patching, knowing that the car will never be perfect, then this could be the car. Cut out some rust, do some ugly welding over top, and keep driving. As you can see from the pic's, she does look pretty good.

I drove her today to and from work, and enjoyed the drive back more because I don't have all the parts on for the heater, and it was a wee bit chilly this morning. (never put the pieces back that I had to take off to get alternator in and out.)

I have a potential buyer and am waiting on his funds to come. I've actually pulled my ad off of craigs list. But I think it will be two more weeks before we make the deal. It is funny, as soon as I thought I had a buyer, and I was going to not have a 914, I started looking at other people's 914's for sale... I think there is something wrong with my head.
+Quote Post
jstill
post Nov 3 2012, 07:13 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 15,102

Thanks for the candor. Good luck with your sale (and purchase!!!) js

QUOTE(sixaddict @ Nov 3 2012, 05:41 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

You R now a card carrying member !

QUOTE(914Buford @ Nov 2 2012, 06:56 PM) *

+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Jan 28 2013, 03:16 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438

If you have not sold this yet I might be interested. Email me at michael.blizzard.blizzard@gmail.com.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jan 28 2013, 03:38 PM
Post #19

Car Hoarder!

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jan 28 2013, 04:16 PM) *

If you have not sold this yet I might be interested. Email me at michael.blizzard.blizzard@gmail.com.

Pretty sure he sold this a couple of months ago. The body was pretty much shot.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:22 AM