Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suspension Advice of my 914-Sixer
wingnut86
post Oct 15 2012, 06:21 AM
Post #21

...boola la boo boola boo...

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,645
Region Association: South East States

Eric, Admins, et al,

I recommend we move this thread to a historical folder as a Top InfoU instruction guide for "Suspension Upgrading and Downgrading" how-to.

This info would be great for all searching on the subject, and has more detail in a small format than I have found so far in searching here to date (pictures aside).

Thx,
Dave
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Oct 15 2012, 12:25 PM
Post #22

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The sidewall you see on my car will give it a much more enjoyable ride. If you put that 60s profile on your 17s it will look like a monster truck.

I like 15s for what I built... a vintage reissue vehicle. The people that follow the line of thinking that the sidewall will help with comfort will usually fall into the 16" camp. There are more available tire sizes to choose from there.

Keep in mind, every inch you add (not unlike torsion bars and sway bars) will eliminate more sidewall making your ride more harsh.
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Oct 15 2012, 01:08 PM
Post #23

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84
Region Association: Northern California

I agree that the increased side wall will give you a more enjoyable ride. I still have adjustable perches in the rear which can compensate for the increased height. The front has adjustment to the torsion bars which can adjust the ride for the increase in height. Ther car has a nice profile and slight rake on the 17s; the key is how much increase in series can I add to give me a softer tire ride all the while making sure the tires has clearance around each wheel well and in the turning radius. I may be able to go only one or two steps above the present tires but for information I will be talking to the tire manufacturers/suppliers.

I can live with the rear having 140# springs and perche adjusted along with the 17s as long as I can get a little more sidewall underneath me. I feel the rear would be solid and would not have a tendency to leave you when and whenever. Definitely need more information to get a realistic answer.

The front will have 18mm torsion bar with the 21mm sway bar softened to maximum. I can always change the torsion bar to factory 15 or 16mm ones and definitely change the sway bar to a lower level. If I can only get one or two steps above present front tires, I will next consider these changes as necessities.

If the above indicates the 17s have to go for 15s or 16s, then we will make the change as needed. The changes along each stage will be based on valid inputs and information for members of our board. You can see I am trying to setup each change stages based on feedback from the car and members thus giving everyone understanding on how to either upgrade or downgrade. Main thing is costs can be eliminated by doing all your homework with advice, guidance, and feedback. Does not cost any money to ask.

Any more advice is deeply appreciated.

Steve
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Oct 29 2012, 10:23 PM
Post #24

shoguneagle

The final update on my car suspension will involve changing the springs to 140# without any rear sway bar (hope to keep the adjustable perches in rear) and all the adjustable Koni shocks adjusted to softest setting. The front as mentioned before has been changed to the 18mm torsion bars and 21mm sway bar set on softest setting. The tires will be mounted on the Cup II 17inch rims and will try to step up one or two series (55-60 front; 50-55 rear). Currently running front 205/50-17 and 235/40-17 rear.

I ran the change in the front with the sway bar in rear disconnected and 180# springs. I could live with this suspension with the increase in tire series, but still a little too heavy.

While waiting for the 14# springs to come in, I put on an old set of 80# to 100# set and this did not seem right, maybe a little soft even for my needs.

In sum, I have settled on the 140# springs in the rear without any sway bar. Keeping the 17inch rims with increased size in performance tires probably 55 front and 50 rear. All four corners will have Koni adjustable shocks, maybe adjustable perches in rear.

I have found with the forementioned setup, I can still feel the road and the suspension is working. Remember, the car has been welded and stressed in critical points so that all body flex has been eliminated. The suspension needs to work and I think the suspension mentioned will give me what i want in the car handling. All suspension points have Elephant bronze on all four corners.

I like the 140# springs in the rear.

Now just playing with the suspension adjustments. I can still feed the freeze lines in the road when I hit them dead on with both tires at once, but angling across them gives me a very comfortable crossing. No jars or unexpected movements.

I will not use a sway bar in the rear for normal and spirited road driving. It seems to match up with LSD or locked diff's, not the normal differential. With the rear sway bar detached, the suspension seems to be softer with the 140# springs but is willing to follow the front with minimum sway or related movement.

As "Bugs Bunny use to say, "That's all, folks!""

This thread and the contained information is a great present for my birthday in November.

Thanks for all the inputs and advice,
Steve (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/birthday3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/birthday3.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Oct 30 2012, 10:33 AM
Post #25

PMB Performance

Sounds like you've dialed in a winner! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Oct 30 2012, 07:21 PM
Post #26

shoguneagle

Thanks, Eric. I believe I have found the winner for my suspension needs. We will continue to experiment but within the realm of what I have described.

Steve
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Oct 31 2012, 01:20 AM
Post #27

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

good read.
+Quote Post
Peashooter
post Oct 31 2012, 11:02 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 13,903
Region Association: None

This is great stuff! I am always looking for info as I am in the process of building a sixer with a few upgrades.
Eric, what wheel and tire combo are you running? I have 7's and 8's x15" to install or all 8's. Right now, stock suspension pieces with sway bar mounts added while it was apart. This car is an M471 look alike project.
Bill
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Oct 31 2012, 06:42 PM
Post #29

PMB Performance

Hey Bill,

How's the project coming along? 7's and 8's (15) on mine. 215/60 and 205/60
+Quote Post
Peashooter
post Oct 31 2012, 07:24 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 13,903
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 31 2012, 08:42 PM) *

Hey Bill,

How's the project coming along? 7's and 8's (15) on mine. 215/60 and 205/60

It's getting there! Painting just finished, need to sand and buff out. Then the reassembly begins. I need to get started on the engine and trans before too long. Hoping to have it done by summer..
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 10:57 PM