Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's the best radiator set up?, Most efficient set up for overall cooling, airflow ect...
BIGKAT_83
post Oct 20 2012, 05:49 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

I agree with the smaller opening in the front. I cut it large on my first conversion and one summer I started checking how small I could go. I ended up with about half the size I had.
On my Subaru and LS1 cars I have a opening the same size as a stock 914 GT oil cooler cut out in the bumper and valance.

Thom .......I think it will cool a LS1 fine its a double row with 1" tubes. Not a double pass. The fans seem to work like a set of spals that I have. The blue color is not my first choice.

Bob
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 20 2012, 07:13 PM
Post #22

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

That's good to hear, I intend to change my front bumper and valance to a narrow-body GT style. I thought I might have to enlarge the opening some, but have suspected that it might be enough as-is. That'll be great if it works.
+Quote Post
Fastcruisin914
post Oct 28 2012, 11:03 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 15,031
Region Association: None

Just wanted to say Thanks for all the replies and information given.

It seems those that have bought the Renegade kits seem to be happy with them and say its worth the money, and even some that built their own say Renegades kit is worth the money.

I am thinking of going the Renegade kit route now, but cut the smaller intake hole and go from there.

I need to do more research first to make sure, and contact Renegade and ask some questions there like Andyrew advised.

Again Thanks for all the information and pictures.
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Nov 28 2015, 05:07 PM
Post #24

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

ditto, seems many are using this celica radiator now, for several reasons.
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Jul 26 2016, 08:24 PM
Post #25

"Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens"

Member No.: 6,920
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Andrew,

Can you send me the details on the R.H. radiator system such as dimensions, Inlet and outlet sizes and rad type (number of rows, if cross flow etc...).

This hot summer has proven that my system cannot handle it. I have some good components such as a 2000 cfm, 9 blade fan out of a Ford Taurus. The remote mechanical water pump is a standard R.H. unit. I also have a Griffin radiator, model 125241-H... no radiator cap (inlet=1.5" and outlet=1.75").

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-1-25241-x

The dimensions are 16"x 27.5" x 3". it is a 2 row unit. Although the inlet/outlet sizes are different, the hoses carrying coolant from front to rear are all the same size at 1.25 inch diameter. The Tech rep at Griffin seems to think that the rad should be fine but I ain't no 4 core unit either.

The other part of this is the car has a Chalon kit installed. I question whether the bumper opening for rad air is sufficiently sized. The opening is ducted to the bulkhead opening. The inner fender walls are fully open to allow the air to exit.

From all that I've read; the viable solutions is to either go with a RH rad setup (or as close to as possible) and/or go with an electric water pump. I think I have some (most) of what RH would sell me as there rad kit. The only difference I can see is the rad size/type and the bumper opening size.

Pictures of my current setup can be found here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...132273&hl=#

I feel like I am close to getting this figured out. Just a bit more tinkering is needed.

Thanks!

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 14 2012, 12:26 PM) *

Rennegade kit is worth the money. Contact renegade for your questions.

From a guy that built his own cooling system..

+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Jul 26 2016, 09:45 PM
Post #26

I forgot to add... I recently purchased a couple of 12 inch AC condenser fans off of a 90's Toyota 4Runner. So far I attached them to the inner fender walls to help exhaust the hot air from the radiator and main fan. No difference really. Any other suggestions to place the fan(s)... perhaps as a pusher on the front side of the rad or as a puller on the back side of the bumper grill opening? How about the engine bay area?
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 26 2016, 10:56 PM
Post #27

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ Jul 26 2016, 07:24 PM) *

This hot summer has proven that my system cannot handle it.

Thanks!

What driving conditions? Stopped, city traffic, highway speeds? Each one is a different cause.
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Jul 26 2016, 11:13 PM
Post #28

It seems to get hotter the faster I go, even at a constant velocity. At stops, it seems to cool off a bit. Water flow isue then?

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 26 2016, 10:56 PM) *

Thanks!

What driving conditions? Stopped, city traffic, highway speeds? Each one is a different cause.

+Quote Post
cali914
post Jul 27 2016, 09:57 AM
Post #29

cali914

Member No.: 5,934

Meizere electric remote mount water pump 55 gms biggest dual pass aluminum radiator you can stuff in nose with two of the biggest fans sucking 3000 cfm through the radiator at iddle. Basically that is what the Renegade set up is LOL. Oh inlet shroud very important so the fans suck all the air through the radiator.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 27 2016, 11:22 AM
Post #30

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Tony, I dont have the Renegade system. My comment from 2012 was that its a well designed system and worth the money. For my system I wish I would have gone that route from the get go as cooling problems are the bane of the v8 conversion.

Now I have a Toyota radiator and Davies Craig water pump and fan controller. Its a great setup and fully self contained but I dont know if its enough for a hot hot hot SBC. The radiator itself is half the size. Of my previous griffin radiator.
+Quote Post
cali914
post Jul 27 2016, 11:32 AM
Post #31

cali914

QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ Jul 26 2016, 10:13 PM) *

It seems to get hotter the faster I go, even at a constant velocity. At stops, it seems to cool off a bit. Water flow isue then?

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 26 2016, 10:56 PM) *

Thanks!

Yeah you have a flow problem or giant air pockets in the line. Get the Meizere remote mount water pump place it at the bottom of the radiator use one inch line in one direction and inch and a 1/4 in other direction and you should see significant improvements
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Jul 27 2016, 12:16 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

The radiator you have should be good. Lets see some pictures of where you fill the system.
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Jul 27 2016, 01:47 PM
Post #33

Here are some pictures I took today.

The holes in the shroud are new... as a test top see if it made a difference. I think it did because in the past (with no holey shroud), it did not matter how cold it was outside; the temp would always go to 200 and beyond (have a 160 t-stat with bleed holes drilled and the fan is set to turn on at 180). After cutting the holes in the shroud, the temp would stay at around 180 (acceptable) although it was when it was cooler outside. Now in this 100 degree weather... it does not matter... it still get to 200 and beyond).

The extra fans are from a Toyota 4-Runner AC condenser units and were mounted there temporarily to see if they made any difference in assisting the main fan exhaust air from the front area (they were wired to push air out). They did not work.

Also; my temp sensor is mounted in a port right next to the t-stat/intake manifold.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Jul 27 2016, 01:52 PM
Post #34

What if I could stand the radiator up more vertically... might that help with a larger cavity in front of it?
+Quote Post
cali914
post Jul 27 2016, 11:05 PM
Post #35

cali914

The holes in the shroud are making the fan inefficient. Is that a dual pass radiator. Where is your expansion tank connected to the fill.
+Quote Post
cali914
post Jul 27 2016, 11:11 PM
Post #36

cali914

The expansion tank and fill in the rear looks good. I think it's your radiator and pump combination
+Quote Post
cali914
post Jul 27 2016, 11:16 PM
Post #37

cali914

Renegade using Ron Davis RadiatorAttached Image
+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Jul 28 2016, 07:12 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 16,371
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

If you have access to a MIG and are willing to fab a bracket and cut some sheet metal you can have a radiator assembly for a little over two hundred bucks. I put mine together using the Toyota Celica GT radiator off of eBay. It cost $167 bucks and it comes with fans and shroud. I have a 2.5L Subaru in my car and it runs 190 degrees even in 95 degree heat.

I found that it that it doesn't take a large opening to provide more than enough air to keep things cool.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
cali914
post Jul 28 2016, 08:29 AM
Post #39

cali914

My opening is maybe twice that size of the pic above but I found on 6cyl it does not take a large opening as the v8. The larger the opening the more air through the radiator at speed. At idle is where a good set of fans and shroud do the work.
+Quote Post
cali914
post Jul 28 2016, 08:35 AM
Post #40

cali914

In the works as we speak because the wheel well exit is really inefficient and prehistoric. I'll send more pics when it's finished. The damn gas tank bar which ties the two shock towers together is our major obstacle at the moment, but making progress. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:32 AM