Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: What do you do for a living?, are you happy?
black914
post Nov 26 2004, 04:55 PM
Post #161

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,100

I graduated with a BLA (Bachelor of Landscape Architecture) from Mississippi State University in 1974.

I am currently self-employed as a landscape architect in King, NC (a bedroom community of Winston-Salem,NC)
I have been self-employed since October of 1989 and I am very satisfied with my career. I am a one-person operation and I walk downstairs every day to my office! I have a very people-oriented profession which requries one-on-one contact with clients of varying personalities. I specialize in single-family residential work which allows me to design projects that I can only dream about owning but I get to spend other people's money!

I normally work with doctors, lawyers, CEO's, etc. I have as a recurring client a NASCAR team owner who has allowed me to design the outside surroundings of his personal house, his race shop, his racing museum and his newly-opened winery.

I work at a computer all day designing my work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) (I use to design at a drafting board doing hand drawings in the dinosaurs days before CAD) and I also get to visit the job sites to check construction progress. I do the majority of my work in North Carolina with a few projects in Virginia.

I have a terrific stay-at-home wife (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) who stayed home to raise our adopted son from Seoul, Korea. He is currently a sophomore at the University of North Carolina Charlotte.

Life is grand!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ratt
post Nov 26 2004, 09:00 PM
Post #162

Member No.: 1,136

I screwed my self royaly in High school. I had something like a 2.3gpa. Its not that I didnt understand the material. I just didnt see the point in doing the Homework. Untill I started to try to find a college.

I decided to enlist in the Navy. 6months in and Im having an awsome time. I got lucky enough to get into the Nuke Field, Got picked up as a Machinest Mate. Ill be working on the mechanical parts of either a carrier or Sub's reactor.

After I finish My schooling I will be short acouple Credits for a BA in applied Nuclear technology, so I will try to get that while Im still in the service. And use my Montgomery GI Bill to get a BA in Mechanical Engineering.

I guess for being a total screw-up in High School, Im actaully doing all right. Ill be Petty Officer 3rd class in another month! Oh yeah, Pay raise!
Andrew
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Nov 26 2004, 09:08 PM
Post #163

Sooo Close.......

Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ..Never made it out of the 9th grade--Now I fix Coast Guard Falcon jets and fly in them occasionally-- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SGB
post Nov 26 2004, 11:28 PM
Post #164

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

Built scale models of NASA hardware for R&D, mockup and display (museums & NASA offices) in the late 70s as a teenager.
Got degree in Civil Engineering with major in Environmental in '82.

Went to work with Army Corps of Engineers as environmental engineer working on assessing places for cleanup. There were lots of 'em...

Moved to Germany for a year in 85 to do the same thing over there.

Came back and started investigations and cleanups at some places and started looking at old DOD property for explosives hazards (old detonation grounds) and chemical warfare agent wastes.

Masters in Systems Engineering (Engineering management like an mba) in 92. Also got the PE license in 92.

Now i'm Project Manfer for ivestigation and cleanup of Cold War era weapons "R&D" palces.

Subject matter is interesting and it should be of benefit to humanity and all, but it sure is frustratingly full of BS and politics.

I've already made arrangements to work after retirement at my favorite VW repair place. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Rider914
post Nov 26 2004, 11:44 PM
Post #165

Member No.: 1,923

Satellite Engineer - Take a television truck to any "event" that occurs in Florida and send back pictures to your house. When hurricane winds aren't blowing I fix all of the things that a monkey with a camera can break. Or work on the top of 2000 ft towers.

It is never the same from one day to the next.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Nov 27 2004, 09:06 AM
Post #166

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Here's a few pics of what On rails and I do to make money.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Nov 27 2004, 09:06 AM
Post #167

I drive my car everyday

nuther

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Nov 27 2004, 09:32 AM
Post #168

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

WOW!
Nice piece Curt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Always liked build'n stuff outta wood but that is totally beyond me.

Definetly didn't get that at Wall Mart (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Bet it was quite the in-house assembly job too. Looks like fun & great gratification.

Good Job Buddy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (Fat Tire)

....b
+Quote Post
lawrencedesigns
post Nov 27 2004, 09:40 AM
Post #169

Member No.: 2,349

Rider...
"monkey with a camera......"?

Hmmmmmm

MONKEY WITH A CAMERA????????
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Nov 27 2004, 10:33 AM
Post #170

I drive my car everyday

Thanks Bruce, it is very gratifying to see the finished product. I usually don't get to see them after the painter is done.

Had my first 1554 yesterday. Most excellent!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 03:35 AM