Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 260deg oil temp after warm up, Fixed Updated page 1
gunny
post Nov 7 2012, 09:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,051
Region Association: South East States

I have a 1976 2.0 Djet stock. I just purchased the car last month.

After a complete warmup after 20+ min of driving the oil temp (measured using dipstick gage) reaches 260 and stay there for the rest of the ride. I've gone for about a 1 hour ride. I have all of the tins and the flaps work and are fully open after a few minuites of driving. I've changed the oil (just wanted to make sure oil is fresh after purchase 10W40). The motor runs good and idles smooth even at 260deg.

I have checked the following:

1. Timing set to 27 deg at 3500RPM with vac lines disconected.
2. Timing does advance when accelerating (I also conected a hand vac to test the advance on the distributor)
3. Fuel preasure at @35psi (I will reduce to 29-30 today)
4. No vacuum leaks
5. I've checked the presure sensor for vacuum leaks and resistance across the windings and all were good.

I have a reciept from a reputable repair shop where the previous owner had the valves adjusted and tune up within 500 miles of my purchase.

I reduced the fuel preasure to 31 and the temp only went up to 240 after a long run 25 miles and 10 of that on the interstate with RPMs 3500-4000.
My guess is that the preasue was to high and the injectors couldn't overcome the presure to open enough causing a lean condition. I'm going to lower to 29lbs to see if I see more benifit. I hope that none of the injectors were damaged, when I turn the car off the preasure holds for a long time before it bleads down.

What do I check next? Thanks for all of the help. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Problem solved. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
I decied to clean up the engine compartment so I started with getting ride of the decel valve by plugging up the connections at the intake and removing the rest. Then I noticed that a previous owner conected the vacuum line that orginally went from the fan shroud to the charcol canister and conected it directly from the fan shroud to the air intake. This was bad for 2 resons, 1 unfiltered air was going from the fan to the throttle body and 2 air that should be going to cool the oil cooler was being sucked out by the intake. I plugged both ends and the temp now stays arround 200 even after an hour on the interstate. The temp did go to about 210 when I was doing about 4000 rpms for 20 miles but it fell back to 200 when I went back below 3500 rpms.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
VaccaRabite
post Nov 7 2012, 09:20 AM
Post #2

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

That is too hot. About the hottest you want to see is 230 for oil temps.

Is your oil cooler clean? Or filled with crud between the cooling vanes?

Zach
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
type47
post Nov 7 2012, 09:23 AM
Post #3

Viermeister

Member No.: 994

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 7 2012, 07:20 AM) *

That is too hot.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) ... mouse nests over the oil cooler? (... or some other obstruction to air flow...)
+Quote Post
gunny
post Nov 7 2012, 09:25 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 7 2012, 07:20 AM) *

That is too hot. About the hottest you want to see is 230 for oil temps.

Zach

As best I can tell from underneath the oil cooler is clean, I tred using compressed air to clean it out and nothing came out. When running I can feel a lot of air being blown down from the top of the motor.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Nov 7 2012, 09:30 AM
Post #5

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

It's the oil cooler, or the temp sender is not correctly calibrated.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 7 2012, 09:44 AM
Post #6

En Garde!

Member No.: 1,435

Or there is too much pressure and the cooler is being closed out of the circuit.

What is your oil pressure when cruising?
Are you running a big pump? Or stock?

Zach
+Quote Post
gunny
post Nov 7 2012, 11:24 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 7 2012, 07:44 AM) *

Or there is too much pressure and the cooler is being closed out of the circuit.

Zach

I believe I have a stock oil pump, I do not have an oil presure gage except the light. does the motor have to come out to change out the oil pump?
+Quote Post
914itis
post Nov 7 2012, 01:45 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(gunny @ Nov 7 2012, 12:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 7 2012, 07:44 AM) *

Zach

I believe I have a stock oil pump, I do not have an oil presure gage except the light. does the motor have to come out to change out the oil pump?

It can be done but much easier with the motor off. You will have to remove the fan and it's sitting behind it .
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Nov 7 2012, 02:02 PM
Post #9

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Verify that the temps you see are accurate.
You can use an infrared thermometer.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i944.photobucket.com-1413-1352318520.1.jpg)

Shoot the oil filter body when warmed up.

KT
+Quote Post
gunny
post Nov 7 2012, 05:57 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Trekkor @ Nov 7 2012, 12:02 PM) *

Verify that the temps you see are accurate.
You can use an infrared thermometer.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i944.photobucket.com-1413-1352318520.1.jpg)

Shoot the oil filter body when warmed up.

KT

I have a dipstick thermometer
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Nov 7 2012, 05:59 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

boil some water and see if the dipstick gauge is accurate, likely it is, but worth a shot.

Is it still running the smog pump?
+Quote Post
gunny
post Nov 7 2012, 06:04 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Ferg @ Nov 7 2012, 03:59 PM) *

boil some water and see if the dipstick gauge is accurate, likely it is, but worth a shot.

Is it still running the smog pump?

I do not have the smog pump.
Any other suggestions
+Quote Post
Gint
post Nov 7 2012, 07:40 PM
Post #13

Mike Ginter

Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Ferg @ Nov 7 2012, 04:59 PM) *
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Since your not familiar with the gauge, boil it and see.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Nov 7 2012, 08:21 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Get a inspection mirror and check the fan, I've seen junk ingested down there not visible topside.

Other than that, it's time to get it on a tailpipe sniffer and see if it's going lean or something odd due to bad MPS or ???

+Quote Post
Krieger
post Nov 7 2012, 08:23 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Verify that the flap that closes over the cooler is going all the way down over the cooler. I just had this problem. My oil temps all of a sudden were 20* hotter for no good reason. If the coil is mounted on the tin over cylinder #4 remove the rear mounting screw for the coil. Put a long thin screwdriver into the hole and push on the edge of that cooling flap to see if it moves down. Mine would not. I needed to remove the tin on that side to remove a piece of plastic that got sucked in and wedged. Another possibility according to Mcmark, the rod that connects the cooling flaps is twisted.
+Quote Post
gunny
post Nov 9 2012, 08:19 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(Krieger @ Nov 7 2012, 06:23 PM) *

Verify that the flap that closes over the cooler is going all the way down over the cooler. I just had this problem. My oil temps all of a sudden were 20* hotter for no good reason. If the coil is mounted on the tin over cylinder #4 remove the rear mounting screw for the coil. Put a long thin screwdriver into the hole and push on the edge of that cooling flap to see if it moves down. Mine would not. I needed to remove the tin on that side to remove a piece of plastic that got sucked in and wedged. Another possibility according to Mcmark, the rod that connects the cooling flaps is twisted.

I can hear the flap move, could missing gromits around the head temp sensor contribut higher temps?
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 9 2012, 12:14 PM
Post #17

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

It is unlikely that they would contribute to higher oil temps. Higher head temps, possibly.

Inspect the fan, make sure the plug in the timing hole in the fan shroud is capped. Make sure the cooling flaps open all the way. Verify your thermometer; I think you're close enough to sea level that water should still boil right around 212F.

Get a mechanical oil pressure gauge (hopefully you can borrow one) to check the oil pressure. The pressure will go down as the oil warms up, and you don't want it much if any under 10 PSI at idle. (The light will usually go on at about 3 PSI, which is very low indeed.)

After that, you may need to pull off the right-side engine tin and inspect everything.

At an actual temperature of 260F, most oils will be failing in some way. Either breaking down, or losing pressure or viscosity or film strength. If that is how hot your oil actually gets, you need to do something about it.

--DD
+Quote Post
gunny
post Nov 11 2012, 04:32 PM
Post #18

It's amazing how important the rubber plugs in the are for cooling. I seated all of the spark plug seals, installed a oil presure boot ( had a new one in my box) and made a seal for the head temp sensor hole. Now after 30+ miles the temp never went above 220. This new car to me is a learning experance. The previous owners were not mechanically inclined. I do know how to do my research ( another engineer) . Thanks for all of the help
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Nov 12 2012, 11:09 AM
Post #19

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413

I'd be happier with temps between 180-190° under normal conditions and max of 220° on a very hot day while track driving.

KT
+Quote Post
gunny
post Nov 12 2012, 01:00 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Trekkor @ Nov 12 2012, 09:09 AM) *

I'd be happier with temps between 180-190° under normal conditions and max of 220° on a very hot day while track driving.

KT

I feel the same way. I will continue to look for things that are making it run this hot. I only have the original oil cooler. Looking at the tins it looks like someone took them off while the motor was in the car and didn't get them back on correctly. On the passenger side the tin is Lower than the seal by about 1/2 inch.

More work to do on this car, I guess it will never end. I bought it to give something to do, I got want I was looking for. I could spend the next few months taking it apart cleaning it and putting it back together correctly.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 09:12 AM