Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1973 2.0 Original Survivor, New brake lines
914Eric
post Nov 7 2012, 09:19 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,125
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Here is the first picture I took of the interior once uncovered after 20 years. About an inch of dust, a few mouse droppings, but all in all...everything in very good order. No cracks in the dash. One small 1 inch split in the drivers seat seam. Easy repair.

Notice the sun visor in the floor.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 7 2012, 09:22 PM
Post #22

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

What a great story and this will be a cool thread to watch as you return this car to its former glory and get it back on the road.
+Quote Post
MDG
post Nov 7 2012, 09:52 PM
Post #23

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018
Region Association: None

The floor is where we all keep our sun visors. Eventually.
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Nov 7 2012, 09:55 PM
Post #24

Was amazed how good the original paint looked after 40 years. If you look close, you can see my dogs reflection in the drivers side door.

Should be fun Cairo. Glad I don't have to restore some of the rusted out shells I've seen pictures of here on this site.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Nov 7 2012, 10:01 PM
Post #25

Notice the original tow hook in the bumper. I used it to tie to getting the car home. It was right in the tool kit where it belonged. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
rjames
post Nov 7 2012, 10:19 PM
Post #26

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467

Great story, great car! Looking forward to watching this one! Hopefully I'll have my 914 long enough to pass to my 4 year-old son someday. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Nov 7 2012, 10:37 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Nov 7 2012, 03:13 PM) *

Looks like my Phoenix red '73! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Beautiful car Bill...Looks very original.
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Nov 8 2012, 12:02 PM
Post #28

Getting all the carpets and seats out, and rocker panels off.
Front Trunk...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Nov 8 2012, 12:04 PM
Post #29

Rear trunk...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Nov 8 2012, 12:07 PM
Post #30

Rockers off... Funny part was if you look close at the floor, their is literally half-gallon of sand that fell out when I took off the rocker panels.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Nov 8 2012, 12:41 PM
Post #31

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Looks beautiful!
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Nov 8 2012, 12:51 PM
Post #32

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Super looking car! Get out the polishing wheel and it'll look showroom.
Ps. You might move the jack stand to the round tube on the suspension about 6" behind the donut. Donuts are known to bend in. It's not a real jack point.
+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Nov 8 2012, 01:02 PM
Post #33

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742
Region Association: Southern California

great looking car and look forward to seeing your progress!!
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Nov 8 2012, 01:24 PM
Post #34

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 8 2012, 10:51 AM) *

Super looking car! Get out the polishing wheel and it'll look showroom.
Ps. You might move the jack stand to the round tube on the suspension about 6" behind the donut. Donuts are known to bend in. It's not a real jack point.

Bill,
I see the round suspension piece on the rear, by the donut, but not on the front where my jackstands are. Is it OK to use the front donut for the front end, or should I move the jackstands somewhere else? Don't really see anything else on the front end?

This is exactly why I wanted all you folks watching me.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
3d914
post Nov 8 2012, 01:25 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 7 2012, 05:54 PM) *

Ditto! Lookin good Eric. Post lots of pics as you progress.
+Quote Post
turk22
post Nov 8 2012, 02:11 PM
Post #36

Treetop Flyer

Member No.: 14,725
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Eric,

Looks great, can't get over how good those trunks look. At least you know what the color will look like once its buffed out.

Interior is amazing as well, you may have to spring for new carpets, but the seats/dash/console are in incredible shape.
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Nov 8 2012, 05:52 PM
Post #37

Thanks Gerard, Steve,

Yea Steve...I was pleasantly surprised how nice the trunks looked. I haven't even washed the car yet, so after a good buffing and wax...should look OK.
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Nov 8 2012, 07:45 PM
Post #38

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

Eric,
If I were you, I wouldn't restore your car. It will be a lot cheaper to go through and clean everything up and preserve it. It is already in very good condition, so it should also be worth more preserved than restored, I would think.

Why doesn't it have blue plates?

Beautiful car and story!
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Nov 8 2012, 08:38 PM
Post #39

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Nov 8 2012, 05:45 PM) *

Eric,
If I were you, I wouldn't restore your car. It will be a lot cheaper to go through and clean everything up and preserve it. It is already in very good condition, so it should also be worth more preserved than restored, I would think.

Beautiful car and story!

Ken,
Thanks. I probably use the words restore and preserve interchangeably when I shouldn't. My original thought after reading many stories over the last year in preparation for this was that I would have some degree of terrible rust that needed taken care of, and the only way to do it right was go to rotisserie. Since getting the car out of storage, and having a couple weeks to look it over, fortunately that just isn't the case. So far I only have a couple real small areas of surface rust with the exception of the battery tray which has a little bit of rust. Don't have the engine out yet, but hopefully the engine compartment will look as good. I agree with you that a car with 100% original paint and everything else is probably worth more than even a perfectly restored one. Even with the few paint chips that it has.

The car was running when it was stored, but at a minimun I'll need to pull the gas tank, replace all fuel lines, all vacuem lines, and I'm not sure what else, but then I can check compression and see if she still has more miles left in her. She only has 80K, so I hope so, but after 20 years...who knows.

"Why doesn't it have blue plates?"
You really know how to hurt a guy. I worked for McDonnell Douglas in St. Louis for 3 years building F15s from 1987-1990. That is when the plates got switched to Missouri, and then back to California. My Missouri plate was "1973 914S" which I still have, but not the original blue and yellow Cali plate. I wasn't very smart back then. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Nov 8 2012, 09:59 PM
Post #40

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(914Eric @ Nov 8 2012, 06:38 PM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Nov 8 2012, 05:45 PM) *

Eric,

Beautiful car and story!

Ken,
Thanks. I probably use the words restore and preserve interchangeably when I shouldn't. My original thought after reading many stories over the last year in preparation for this was that I would have some degree of terrible rust that needed taken care of, and the only way to do it right was go to rotisserie. Since getting the car out of storage, and having a couple weeks to look it over, fortunately that just isn't the case. So far I only have a couple real small areas of surface rust with the exception of the battery tray which has a little bit of rust. Don't have the engine out yet, but hopefully the engine compartment will look as good. I agree with you that a car with 100% original paint and everything else is probably worth more than even a perfectly restored one. Even with the few paint chips that it has.

The car was running when it was stored, but at a minimun I'll need to pull the gas tank, replace all fuel lines, all vacuem lines, and I'm not sure what else, but then I can check compression and see if she still has more miles left in her. She only has 80K, so I hope so, but after 20 years...who knows.

"Why doesn't it have blue plates?"
You really know how to hurt a guy. I worked for McDonnell Douglas in St. Louis for 3 years building F15s from 1987-1990. That is when the plates got switched to Missouri, and then back to California. My Missouri plate was "1973 914S" which I still have, but not the original blue and yellow Cali plate. I wasn't very smart back then. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Sorry, didn't mean to hit a sore spot on the plates.

Last year, I went through what you are about to do - pulled the engine, trans, tank. I cleaned everything to pretty high standards, and then installed all new fuel lines, clutch/accelerator cables, engine seals, you name it. It was actually really fun getting to know the car and, in the end, knowing exactly what I have. My engine tin was pretty crappy, so I repainted it. I wouldn't do that if I had your car. Mine is a '75 1.8, which is about the least desirable 914 ever produced, whereas yours is one of the most highly coveted cars. The one single thing that you MUST do is to replace the tunnel fuel lines with stainless steel. Mine cracked into pieces when I pulled them. There are a couple of member vendors here who make them, and both make very nice pieces.

You will also need to address your brakes. Eric Shea (PMB Performance) is the only guy to go to. He is also a great source for many other parts. He is a brake guy, but I was able to get a lot of other misc. parts through him at a good price.

Unless anyone else chimes in, you may need to turn to Automobile Atlanta for the braided fuel line kit. I couldn't find it anywhere else, and it really looks nice when installed.

Best of luck! I am bookmarking this thread, as this is going to be a really great car when you get it where you want it.
+Quote Post

23 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:52 PM