Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NPC---thoughts on car for daily driver..., 1995 BMW M3?????
crash914
post Nov 3 2004, 02:14 PM
Post #1

its a mystery to me

Group: Members
Member No.: 434
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Topic states it....

I am thinking about parking the 1979 320I and getting a 1995 M3 for a daily driver..

Thoughts???

I haven't driven it yet but the car is supposed to be mechanically ok...body needs work.

113K on drivetrain, door, rear bumper, trunk lid replaced.

guy wants ~8k.

Thoughts? am I crazy not to pay 15K for a clean car? I would figure about 1K for paint and body for this car....let me have it....
thanks, herb
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Nov 3 2004, 02:18 PM
Post #2

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

Those are pretty sweet cars. Sounds like it may be a good deal, but I don't know very much of them. Could be more expensive to fix than you think, but even still, it sounds like it would be a decent deal. If it looks good, go for it! It's always easy for me to spend someone else's money. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Kargeek
post Nov 3 2004, 03:07 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 430

Check the rear suspension mounts- they have been known to tear away from the body structure. With all of those body panels replaced...it must have been hit, "maybe beaten as a pup" so beware of other issues. Maintaince records?

Otherwise, these are great daily drivers. DH

Check out the roadfly ads:
Roadfly
+Quote Post
Brad Smith
post Nov 3 2004, 03:57 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,029

Sounds a little overpriced to me.
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Nov 3 2004, 04:54 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 805

I have a '98 M3 Sedan as my daily driver, owner since new. They're great cars, but be aware that like any other German sports sedan, they aren't cheap to maintain and need regular maintenance to avoid expensive repairs. If you're looking for economy in a daily driver, I'd suggest something newer and Japanese.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 3 2004, 05:03 PM
Post #6

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Love our 1995 M3. Crazy fast. Daytonaviolett. (grape cooolaid!)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
airsix
post Nov 3 2004, 06:54 PM
Post #7

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

I just brought home a '97 M3 sedan Saturday. I absolutely love it. Most ergonomic car I've ever driven and fast/fun. I couldn't be happier with it (ask again when it breaks). I like EVERYTHING about it, and I've never been drawn to BMWs. In fact if you'd asked me 3 months ago what the chances of me owning a BMW were before death I'd have said 2% or less. When I was faced with needing a 4dr I'm glad I investigated them. They won me over in a big way with this car.

$8k sounds high for the miles and the damage. I'd think you'll easily get to $12k before you're done. I'd just start with the $12k car rather than work your way up to it (plus your labor).

-Ben M.

ps - It's funny. Before the purchase/test-drive all the M3 owners I talked to warned me about how harsh the ride would be in "an 'M' car". They all made great effort to mentally prepare me for it. I laughed out-loud when I finally drove one. It's softer than any other daily driver I've ever owned! It's like a giant pillow compared to my 914.
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Nov 3 2004, 09:35 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 805

Other things to look for on the M3

1. Make sure the water pump has been replaced with the updated pump. Given the mileage, I'm certain it has, since no early pump lasted to 100K before disintegrating.

2. Check if the radiator has been replaced. Past 60K miles, the probability that the plastic neck that connects to the top radiator hose will crack off increases. When it goes, it dumps all of the coolant in a flash, and if you don't react quickly, you cook the motor.

3. Leaky power steering hoses are fairly common.

4. Interior SRS sensors, FI sensors: These fail regularly and are expensive. If the "check engine" light is on, or the SRS light, have the seller knock off $500 unless he fixes the problem first. Note on O2 sensors - I think the '95 has four, and my '98 has six! When they go, bend over and pay the man.

5. Tires. The '95 is better than the later models, which had different front/rear sizing, so you can rotate your tires correctly. I recommend Kumho 712 Ecsta's, they're cheap, stick well, wear 2X better than Michelins, have the same internal construction, work great in the rain, and are reasonably quiet.

6. Clutch pedal. All 3-series clutch pedals eventually squeek. It's a PITA to lube it, get your local BMW shop to do it for you, it's worth the money.
+Quote Post
crash914
post Nov 4 2004, 06:32 AM
Post #9

its a mystery to me

Great thoughts!! Thanks....I did see one that had the SRS light on.....said it was a seatbelt sensor....

A year ago I never would have thougt BMW either....but the fun of driving my '79 and the road manners, this thing is very tossable....I can't wait for ice racing season....

thanks again...herb
+Quote Post
skline
post Nov 4 2004, 09:30 AM
Post #10

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I had a 95 540I, I loved that car but like others have said, it is very expensive to maintain them. Before I sold the car earlier this year, I spent 3k just on the front suspension. This was a car that had just turned over the 100k mark. The car rode very nice and smooth, lots of power and handled fantastic. There is a reason they call it the ultimate driving machine. You need to get one new or with very low milage, as they pass 80k they start needing lots of attention. That attention will cost you.
+Quote Post
mack914
post Nov 4 2004, 11:59 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 2,306

Any BMW with those mile is just broken in. $8g's for an M3 is a great deal sight unseen. I have a '88 M5 with 220,000 miles and it drives like new. If you have never had a BMW, after a drive, you will always have one. M3s even more so. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)
+Quote Post
crash914
post Nov 4 2004, 12:06 PM
Post #12

its a mystery to me

I am going to pass on this one....

Too many problems. many panels replaced due to dents, chips, etc. this car had been hit...
All knobs inside in German...USA odometer though..
The guy just finished replacing the water pump and radiator...still overheats...

This one will take a lot of work....I agree, buy a 12K car to drive. I have a 914 if I want to work on a car...

Thanks, for the input..

I am going to pass on another that I saw with the SRS light on, and dim/blank radio panel...again problems......
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 10:41 AM