Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More fun stuff to do - wheel bearings?, Not sure what kind of sound they make when going bad
jls914
post Nov 19 2012, 10:16 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,842
Region Association: None

My left rear made a whining noise and would change when turning. There was also a very noticably heat difference of the two rear wheels. You didn't have to touch them to feel the difference. I changed them both at the same time. I did mine with the trailing arms still mounted on the car.

That's my experience.

Jim
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
no1uno
post Nov 19 2012, 10:23 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 12,448
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 19 2012, 10:32 PM) *

Do you hear the noise when your wife is in the car with you? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Good One!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rockaria
post Nov 20 2012, 10:24 AM
Post #23

ZippidyDoDah...

Member No.: 645

I have almost this exact same issue. Left rear wheel. Starts whining at 30mph, no grummbling noise or feel, seems to keep the same pitch, a constant rotating whining like metal contacting, goes away instantly under 30 mph. won't go away by turning the car or pressing in the clutch, taking it out of gear. Tranny is perfect and is full of new fluid. The wheel feels solid when I jack up the tire and try to move it around.

But I have found, mine only happens when the weather is hot, like 90 degrees outside. When the weather is cool, it never whines or makes noise at all. Though I do take short trips, less than 50 miles at a time.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Dec 5 2012, 10:32 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

QUOTE(Rockaria @ Nov 20 2012, 11:24 AM) *

I have almost this exact same issue. Left rear wheel. Starts whining at 30mph, no grummbling noise or feel, seems to keep the same pitch, a constant rotating whining like metal contacting, goes away instantly under 30 mph. won't go away by turning the car or pressing in the clutch, taking it out of gear. Tranny is perfect and is full of new fluid. The wheel feels solid when I jack up the tire and try to move it around.

But I have found, mine only happens when the weather is hot, like 90 degrees outside. When the weather is cool, it never whines or makes noise at all. Though I do take short trips, less than 50 miles at a time.

Excellent, thanks for the input Chris. My situation sounds the exact same, except opposite. It only started doing this about a month ago when temperatures dropped. It usually doesn't start for the first few miles, but then gradually comes in as (ostensibly) the bearings begin to warm up. At this point I think its a safe bet to start with replacing the bearings - they may very well be the originals anyway.

Here is the audio. Sorry for the quality or lack thereof. I think the sound is still audible though.

-George
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 5 2012, 11:21 AM
Post #25

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

I had a similar issue after changing the rear of my 914 to 5-lug. Even seemed to change when turning. Didn't start making noise until I drove a bit.

Turns out it was the rear brake venting clearance. When the noise was happening, I touch the brakes and it changed.

Adjusted the venting clearance and the noise went away.
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Dec 5 2012, 02:07 PM
Post #26

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632

What kind of fluid are you running in your trans? I ran a Mobil 1 synthetic once in an older transaxle thinkin it was better. The trans was a whiner until I put the original spec stuff in.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Dec 5 2012, 02:51 PM
Post #27

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Warped rotor or venting but my brakes are tire and set with no drag. Whine is sorta comforting n a long trip though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 08:06 AM