Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> squeak..squeak..axle bearing?
RonD
post Nov 5 2004, 10:39 AM
Post #1

Ron Diederichsen

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,286
Region Association: None

What does it sound like when an axle bearing goes?

I am having this rotational squeaking noise coming from the rear I can’t seem to track it down. At first I thought it was the brakes. So I took the pads out, which are almost new, discs have normal wear no grooves, and then adjusted and bled the brakes, but it didn’t really make that much difference.

The squeak starts up after I have been driving for 20 miles or so. The sound seems slower then the rotation of the wheels, but does speed up seemly as I go faster. When I brake the pitch of the squeak doesn’t change. But the squeak stops just before the car stops or another words it does not make noise under 5 MPH.

It could still be in the brakes as one of the pad adjustment screws was loose and had been leaking fluid on to the pads.

The car has about 50K miles on it but wasn’t driven for the last 16 years, and sat outside for at least the last 8 years. I bought it this year. (my first 914). Been running great since July, squeak appeared about a month ago.

Any ideas?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Nov 5 2004, 10:43 AM
Post #2

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

If it's a wheel bearing, the sound will increase and decrease with varying speeds in the same gear. It will not change if you shift gears as the rotational speed of the the wheel remains the same unless you accelerate or deaccelerate.
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Nov 5 2004, 10:43 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

is it more intense on bumpier roads then smooth roads or is it constant?...If it is more intense on bumpier roads...or more prominent in colder weather..could be rear trailing arm bushings. Especially if it sat awhile and they got older...harder...and cracked.
+Quote Post
RonD
post Nov 5 2004, 10:50 AM
Post #4

Ron Diederichsen

Nope stays the same no matter how bumpy the road. And it stays the same no matter the gear. Definitly seems to be with the wheels but I always think it's slower then the wheels.
+Quote Post
Mike9142.0
post Nov 5 2004, 10:20 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 208
Region Association: Southwest Region

The seals on rear wheel bearings can squeak after siting for a long time.
If the bearing was bad it would be more of a rumble grinding noise, and would change when cornering.
Spray a little bit of light oil in back of the CV joint and the hub (on to the bearing ) and see if the squeak go's away.
+Quote Post
RonD
post Nov 8 2004, 09:43 AM
Post #6

Ron Diederichsen

Thanks Mike I'll try that. I was wondering what a bearing sounded like when it goes bad. This helps.
+Quote Post
type47
post Nov 8 2004, 10:09 AM
Post #7

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

i have the same noise, i'd call it a squeal/whine noise, not a grinding noise that comes and goes, but a slightly "wavering" noise that seems to come from the rear. the pitch doesn't change related to the wheel rotation speed. when the car is slowing down, it stops when the speed reaches 30mph predictably. at speeds above 30, sometimes it makes the noise, sometimes it doesn't. i thought i'd try to rotate the half-shafts to see if it's the CV's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:49 AM