Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Emergency Brake, Thing of the Past?
JawjaPorsche
post Dec 3 2012, 07:27 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

I was watching TV yesterday and a car commercial came on. (Don't know which car because they all look alike.) Anyway, a new car feature was an electronic "parking" brake.

I know our 914's have an emergency brake while newer cars we call it the parking brake. Is this because of the split front/back brake systems and our cars no longer need an "emergency" brake? Inquiring minds want to know!

I know an electronic parking brake sounds nice but just wondering of possible electronic gremlins that lurks?!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Dec 3 2012, 08:31 AM
Post #2

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632

This off the web-

"Two variations are available: In the more-traditional "cable-pulling" type, an electric motor simply pulls the emergency brake cable rather than a mechanical handle in the cabin. A more complex unit uses two computer-controlled motors attached to the rear brake calipers to activate it. "
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Dec 3 2012, 08:32 AM
Post #3

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I know what you mean. The replacement of linkage with switches is something that worries me. The new Dodge Ram pickup has an electronic dial to switch between gears in its automatic. I'm sure its perfectly safe, but I find myself asking what if. And why?
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 3 2012, 08:48 AM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

A lot of it stems from "make it so complicated only our techs can fix it".

Really fly by wire throttle is so great I see nothing going wrong with this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
This society is becoming so fricking lazy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) ...but I imagine there's an app for that.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Dec 3 2012, 08:50 AM
Post #5

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

all is good until your battery goes dead & your car rolls down a hill!
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Dec 3 2012, 09:07 AM
Post #6

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632

Seriously, not much involved in pushing in a pedal or pulling a handle.
But having said that, neither of my two daughters or my wife EVER put the E brake on ???
So if the new Electronic E brakes automatically apply when you put the trans in park then there potentially maybe more cars parked with handbrakes on.

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 3 2012, 10:34 AM
Post #7

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

My wife's Audi has an electronic e-brake. I'll bet she doesn't know it even exists... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Dec 3 2012, 10:42 AM
Post #8

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

Well the art & joy of driving a manual transmission is dying in America. No one cares now that you just slam it into park.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 3 2012, 11:22 AM
Post #9

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

Electronic e-brakes are simpler from a hardware point of view. No lever, no cables to fray, rust, adjust. Besides, the brains to do the braking already exist with ABS.
+Quote Post
Woody
post Dec 3 2012, 11:41 AM
Post #10

Sandbox Rabblerouser and head toilet scrubber

Member No.: 12,530
Region Association: Southwest Region

Part of the reason we are seeing more and more fly by wire type things is because wires are lighter than cables. Lighter cars mean more performance and better fuel mileage. Every current Porsche has an electronic parking brake. It started with the Panameras, then the Cayennes, now the Boxsters and 911s have them. The Boxsters and 911s also went with electric assisted power steering instead of hydraulic, again aimed at weight savings.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 3 2012, 04:13 PM
Post #11

that's what I do!

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 3 2012, 11:34 AM) *

My wife's Audi has an electronic e-brake. I'll bet she doesn't know it even exists... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Couple weeks ago our '96 golf winter beater wouldn't start and I was too sick to look at it. The wife said the coil must be gone...damn she was right.
In fairness this happened to our last golf and she went to P/U the coil.

I had a coil on the parts car out back (same last golf, it was a new coil) swapped it and it fired right up.

Got to love a wife that knows something about cars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)

Woody Woodpecker
Part of the reason we are seeing more and more fly by wire type things is because wires are lighter than cables. Lighter cars mean more performance and better fuel mileage.

Woody, if that is true why are new cars so frickin' heavy? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 3 2012, 04:29 PM
Post #12

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 3 2012, 05:27 AM) *
Emergency Brake, Thing of the Past?

Not for me. I had quite a scare (in the 914) a few years back when the MC exploded on me in commuter traffic going over the SF bay bridge.

If it hadn't been for a working hand operated "emergency" brake i would have plowed right into the idiot that cut me off and made me slam on the brakes in the first place.
It's quite interesting to navigate several miles of bridge traffic with only your handbrake (and low gear) to slow you down.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rand
post Dec 3 2012, 05:15 PM
Post #13

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Reminds me of a recent post I made.... Goes along with the automatic parking, and automatic slowing you down when you approach a car from behind and............ And all the other electronically assisted crap that just takes people who already needed more driver's ed and enables them to think they need it less.

Anyone who likes this shit should just ride in a Google autonomous car and give up their license.
+Quote Post
IanS
post Dec 3 2012, 05:19 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 14,190

QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 3 2012, 11:41 AM) *

The Boxsters and 911s also went with electric assisted power steering instead of hydraulic, again aimed at weight savings.

I thought this was to take the P/S pump load off of the motor to improve fuel econ/HP.

I like the idea of the electronic nanny applying the parking brake when in park. My wife never does this and when she parks on a hill her SUV rocks back and forth when she lets off the brake as the transmission takes the brunt of the weight. Cringe every time...

But I love me some manual e-brake and the satisfying clicks of the handle. They are not hard to adjust nor do you do it that often. Ahh progress.
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Dec 3 2012, 05:21 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623

Actually, the fly by wire system was implemented because of "traction control" systems ie- get off the throttle dummy. You know, that thing that tries to straighten up the car when your trying to slide through a corner, putting you square in to a curb. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Woody
post Dec 3 2012, 07:05 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(Little Mark Henry @ Dec 3 2012, 04:13 PM) *

Couple weeks ago our '96 golf winter beater wouldn't start and I was too sick to look at it. The wife said the coil must be gone...damn she was right.

I had a coil on the parts car out back (same last golf, it was a new coil) swapped it and it fired right up.

Got to love a wife that knows something about cars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)

Woody Woodpecker
Part of the reason we are seeing more and more fly by wire type things is because wires are lighter than cables. Lighter cars mean more performance and better fuel mileage.

Woody, if that is true why are new cars so frickin' heavy? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Because of all the other things people demand in a car, heated 10 way adjustable seats, 20 speaker sound systems, safety equipment, ect... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 3 2012, 04:29 PM) *

Not for me. I had quite a scare (in the 914) a few years back when the MC exploded on me in commuter traffic going over the SF bay bridge.

If it hadn't been for a working hand operated "emergency" brake i would have plowed right into the idiot that cut me off and made me slam on the brakes in the first place.
It's quite interesting to navigate several miles of bridge traffic with only your handbrake (and low gear) to slow you down.

Most systems are still capable of an emergency stop. Just push the button and hold on.

QUOTE(underthetire @ Dec 3 2012, 05:21 PM) *

Actually, the fly by wire system was implemented because of "traction control" systems ie- get off the throttle dummy. You know, that thing that tries to straighten up the car when your trying to slide through a corner, putting you square in to a curb. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

My early cable throttle Boxster had traction control. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 3 2012, 08:03 PM
Post #17

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 3 2012, 08:05 PM) *

Woody Woodpecker

Because of all the other things people demand in a car, heated 10 way adjustable seats, 20 speaker sound systems, safety equipment, ect... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Most systems are still capable of an emergency stop. Just push the button and hold on.

My early cable throttle Boxster had traction control. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

"Little Mark Henry" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)
+Quote Post
Woody
post Dec 3 2012, 08:16 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 3 2012, 08:03 PM) *

Woody Woodpecker

"Little Mark Henry" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 3 2012, 08:21 PM
Post #19

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 3 2012, 09:16 PM) *

Woody Woodpecker

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) man...don't poke me with that thing!!! no one know what you stuck it in last! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Woody
post Dec 3 2012, 08:41 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 3 2012, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 3 2012, 09:16 PM) *

Woody Woodpecker

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) man...don't poke me with that thing!!! no one know what you stuck it in last! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

I washed it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 06:09 PM