Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> It's mine!, Lew's car
billh1963
post Dec 11 2012, 10:12 AM
Post #1

Car Hoarder!

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

I have long been coveting a nice California "rust free" '73 2.0 with FI. After several weeks of waiting I am concluding the deal to buy Lew's 914. As you may remember from the classifieds ad, Lew (whom I never met, unfortunately) passed away last spring. With the help of Kent (and Ethan) I am now the proud new owner.

To top it off, I am planning a big adventure! In early January I plan to fly to California and drive the car back across the country. I have never driven across country before...let alone in a 40 year old car! I'll share more details as they get more defined and as time gets closer.

In the meantime, here is the picture of the car with Lew.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i268.photobucket.com-12871-1355242344.1.jpg)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Dec 11 2012, 10:14 AM
Post #2

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

Nice! Glad to see it is going to a good home. Enjoy!
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Dec 11 2012, 10:18 AM
Post #3

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 11 2012, 10:19 AM
Post #4

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

What's your route going to be Bill? In January you may have to deal with some snow.
We need to get your route down so we can get our spare bedrooms cleaned and have garage space for valve adjustments and such...
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Dec 11 2012, 10:22 AM
Post #5

Car Hoarder!

QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 11 2012, 11:18 AM) *

Will probably sell the black '73 1.7 in the spring to thin the herd! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

That will take it down to three 914's!
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Dec 11 2012, 10:24 AM
Post #6

Car Hoarder!

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 11 2012, 11:19 AM) *

What's your route going to be Bill? In January you may have to deal with some snow.
We need to get your route down so we can get our spare bedrooms cleaned and have garage space for valve adjustments and such...

Will be taking the southern route to avoid snow. I will work it out and see who is available for dinner and such as well as a life support system in case I encounter problems! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Dec 11 2012, 10:26 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351

Hoarder! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Dec 11 2012, 10:29 AM
Post #8

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 11 2012, 11:18 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 11 2012, 11:19 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) - good idea. you might be able to make a few fun stops along the way!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Dec 11 2012, 10:30 AM
Post #9

Dr. Phil

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

truth is i am jealous !!!!!!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 11 2012, 10:40 AM
Post #10

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Well the cat's out of the bag so I will comment. I spent some time with this because I wanted to be sure it went to a good home/owner. I felt that Bill would keep this car in it's current condition. I will say that this is the quietest and smoothest driving 914 I have driven. I looked through Lew's receipts quickly and it appears that he invested north of 15K + sales price. I know that he owned the car since '02 and maybe longer. (receipts go back that far). I told Bill that the little (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) in my head was trying to screw him out of this car but I relented and let him have it. Is there rust? Somewhere I'm sure but I took over 140 pic's and couldn't find a rust issue. There is some surface rust where the engine lid letters attach. The lines on this car are purely symmetrical. It reminds me of the old Lexus commercial with the marble rolling, rolling around the hood lines. Remember Bobby Vinton's "Take Good Care of my Baby"? Thx for taking her Bill. PM me your itinerary and we'll get you to your car when you get here. Kent
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Dec 11 2012, 11:23 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

Ah (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) we might have to schedule a Dawn Patrol run if possible when you come out to get it so you can exercise it in it's "native habitat" with a bunch of us local 914 idiots (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Congratulations Bill, you wont be disappointed! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Dec 11 2012, 11:30 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I was just about to post that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) ...this may be a good time to get as many teeners, as possible together
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Dec 11 2012, 11:32 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

Would be a great way to honor Lew and welcome Bill to the west coast...I'm game if you all are...
+Quote Post
Gint
post Dec 11 2012, 11:43 AM
Post #14

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Grats! 914's like to drive across country. I've done it more than once. Did a valve adjustment in Joe Sharp's driveway before I left in the last 914. You will want to stay south that time of year though. Which is a shame, because you won't be coming through town.

Ship some tools out before you go so you have them for the trip.
+Quote Post
SUNAB914
post Dec 11 2012, 12:15 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 9,880

Take someone with Bill! Gosh, your butt is going to hurt! Please document trip, that will be some ride! We need to make a list of spares to bring with you.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Dec 11 2012, 12:16 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351

I have driven my teener from Atlanta to Los Angeles and back three times. The last time was in 1982. In 1980 I drove from LA to Atl in less than 48 hours! It was August and I ran my heater the whole time to avoid vapor lock! Needless to say, I had my top off!

QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 11 2012, 12:43 PM) *

Grats! 914's like to drive across country. I've done it more than once. Did a valve adjustment in Joe Sharp's driveway before I left in the last 914. You will want to stay south that time of year though. Which is a shame, because you won't be coming through town.

Ship some tools out before you go so you have them for the trip.

+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Dec 11 2012, 12:50 PM
Post #17

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Dec 11 2012, 01:15 PM) *

Take someone with Bill! Gosh, your butt is going to hurt! Please document trip, that will be some ride! We need to make a list of spares to bring with you.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) you need a co-pilot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) , (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) i might know someone who could help out, you might find a few volunteers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) .(if your sons can't help out - that would be a great father-son trip!)
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Dec 11 2012, 01:09 PM
Post #18

Car Hoarder!

A teener get together would be great. I'll see about flying in on a Friday and maybe we can all meet Saturday before I start heading back East!

If anyone has a spare bedroom along the way that would be great! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

A list of spares is a good idea. I can ship them to Kent to have ready before I leave.

Not sure I'll have anyone to take at this point. My youngest son reports for training on 1/8 and my oldest will be back in college. We'll have to see between now and then!

I have a new Go-Pro I'll take with me...that might be interesting to edit a minifilm of the trip.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 11 2012, 01:14 PM
Post #19

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 11 2012, 08:26 AM) *

That's a great Tee-shirt - you need one Bill.....desperately!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Okay, you've got my contact info from before, so give a call & let me know if I can help you out.

I can also advise on the southern route alternatives for you, having driven them almost annually XC from both San Diego & OC since 1963 at 10, altho not as often in the dead of winter! In fact one of my college jobs in 71-74 was making out those trip maps at Texaco when folks filled out the post cards for their trips at the local Texaco station.....green lines on maps! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Also - if needed, there is an outside chance that I could right seat for you as far as Sallisaw or Tulsa OK is you decide on I40 & if it lines up with when I may need to go back there mid or late month for business.

Congratz on the new (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif) acquisition! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 11 2012, 01:21 PM
Post #20

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 11 2012, 08:26 AM) *

English is not my first language, but i don't think there should be a ' between the 914 and the s.
Doesn't the s simply imply plural? If so, the ' seems misplaced.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:16 PM