Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question about tires
last337
post Dec 13 2012, 03:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,221
Region Association: None

I was wondering which tires are compatible with my 4-bolt fuchs. Do you guys have a place to get them other than coker?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Dec 13 2012, 03:13 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Stock tire diameter is ~25". A 195/65/15 tire is where you should start. TireRack.com has all the specs on tires. I would suggest the Goodyear Eagle GT.
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Dec 13 2012, 03:19 PM
Post #3

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with the size recommendation for modern driving.

If you are going for originality, the proper size (for most 914s) is 165-15, which translates to 165/80 - 15.

That being said, unless you need that original look, go with the wider tire.

Some people (like me) have fit a 205/60-15 tire on the 5.5" rim and there is a tiny bit of rubbing at full lock in one of the front wheel wells.

A search on the site would yield more threads about tires.
+Quote Post
last337
post Dec 13 2012, 03:28 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 15,221

Thanks for the recommendations. I have been looking for older threads about tires without much luck but I guess I have to keep looking (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I usually lean towards Michelins or BFGs; anyone running Pilots?
+Quote Post
RFoulds
post Dec 13 2012, 03:41 PM
Post #5

Green Teen 66

Member No.: 10,656
Region Association: Southwest Region

Only one of the Pilots are available in that size. WOuld be WAAAAY more tire than you need anyway. 195/65/15 in a Kumho performance tire is only about $300 mounted and balanced at most tire shops.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 13 2012, 03:41 PM
Post #6

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

You don't say which motor/model yours is.

If you're looking for original look tires, then the factory tire spec for 914/4's was:

1.7 & 1.8L cars: 165(/80)SR15 ... "S" Speed rating & "80" or +/-80% ht-to-width profile

2.0L cars: 165(/80)HR15 .... "H" Speed Rating

There should be a tire size & inflation sticker on your gas tank's expansion tank - next to the filler.

"T" speed rating wasn't around then, but modern 165(/80)TR15's would work for any motor, since the T's 118 mph rating matches the spec top speed for 2.0's, & realistically you can use a 165SR15 on a 2.0 for DD & if you're not trying to drive 118 mph for hours on end.

Bridgestone used to make a 165TR15 up to a couple of years ago, but don't know who else. Vredestein & Michelin make 156SR15 & 165HR15 tires still, which are handled by Coker & other vintage tire suppliers. You might try Lucas Tires in Long Beach CA & Ohio somewhere for a better price on these, as well as checking a google shop search by tire size, since "new" suppliers & brands may come up.

In the early 1990's the factory sent out an advisory letter to use the 195/65R15 in "S" or "H" ratings on 914s (T's came later), after the 165s disappeared from the market. The early 195s in the late 70's & early-`80's were too tall & rubbed at full turn - as noted above on the 205's.

I wouldn't use anything tire-wise larger if they rub myself, cuz you're going to rub off paint & expose bare metal to rust, &/or cut the sidewalls on the exposed edge of the wheel well cutouts on the outer fenders, &/or cause damage to your steering rack/suspension - depending on what it's contacting to rub. Some folks also get rub at the top of the rear well cutouts.

195/65(S-H-T)R15 are available from a number of common tire sources like Tire Rack, but you may be better off going to a local shop that will work with you to mount some trial tires to let you check for rubbing in an actual test drive, to get the best fit on your 914.

195/65R15 will give you a speedo & odometer error of 8% IIRC (see the tire size calculator at the 914 Info section's button at the top of this webpage), so you need to keep that in mind when driving, & if you don't want to register more than actual miles on your 914, since it affects resale value in some cases.

Try the Tires & Wheels topic, in the Originality & History forum for more info.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
442nd914s
post Dec 13 2012, 05:14 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 14,718

I went with Goodyear Eagle GT's 195/65R-15
Only because I need a great all season tire. I dont plan on tracking my car so this was my best choice.
They will protect my rim also. Pictured is comparison of original size tire next to the Goodyears.
I will be mounting soon if you really need pictures, just let me know so I can post them

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
abnrdo
post Dec 13 2012, 09:21 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,820
Region Association: South East States

Do you have a photo of those on your car? Hello again from Lees Summit!

-Jim

QUOTE(442nd914s @ Dec 13 2012, 05:14 PM) *

Only because I need a great all season tire. I dont plan on tracking my car so this was my best choice.
They will protect my rim also. Pictured is comparison of original size tire next to the Goodyears.
I will be mounting soon if you really need pictures, just let me know so I can post them
+Quote Post
442nd914s
post Dec 13 2012, 10:25 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 14,718

QUOTE(abnrdo @ Dec 13 2012, 09:21 PM) *

Do you have a photo of those on your car? Hello again from Lees Summit!

-Jim

QUOTE(442nd914s @ Dec 13 2012, 05:14 PM) *

No I dont have any pictures yet. I should have them ready by middle of next week or hopefully sooner. Right now I have to repair the left side suspension console so I can put engine in, bleed brakes then mount wheels. After all that is done, doubble check torque bolts, the tunning. Road ready by xmas?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) You're welcome to come by anytime. Im a newbee so all the help is appreciated.
Greatings from the burg!
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Dec 14 2012, 08:31 AM
Post #10

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I bought the same size Eagle Gt's a while back. They are great tires, but have very limited grip for the first 10 miles or so. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 07:28 PM