Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> On the fence for doing a V8 Conversion, Sorry couln't find the past thread on $$
Kerrys914
post Nov 7 2004, 06:24 PM
Post #1

Dear, the parts I just sold paid for that part ;)

Group: Members
Member No.: 16

I am thinking about doing a V8 conversion this winter to my '73.

I couldn't locate the thread that talks about costs and what is needed.

- How good are the V8 kits out there?
- Who has a better kit?
- Do you need to overhaul the V8 to move the torque band up in the RPM range?
- What is a good engine to look for? I would not like to mess my tranny up so I don't need 400HP (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
- I am going through my tranny this winter too. I have another tranny to get parts from..Should I flip some gears around for better drivablility?

Cheers
Kerry (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914GT
post Nov 7 2004, 07:10 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

Go to the Desert Hybrids web site and you'll find a wealth of information on V8 conversions. All the kits are good. I've had no problems with DH and I think his will save you some $$. You don't need to overhaul the V8 if it's a good running engine to begin with. There are things you can do, like change the cam, to move the power/torque curve up higher rpm. Federal-Mogul's web site for SpeedPro cams has info on choosing a cam to match your requirmements. You can spend more money for improved lifters, rockers, etc. but it's not necessary in order to have a scary-fast 914. I think a 350, 327, 283 or even a 307 are good engines to use. The 327 and 283 have shorter strokes. I don't know about flipping gears around. Definitely for highway cruising it would be nice to have a higher gear. Personally I like the stock 901 gears for around town driving.
+Quote Post
skline
post Nov 7 2004, 07:22 PM
Post #3

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I cant say much about Desert Hybrids, I can tell you about Renegade Hybrids, Rod Simpson and Kennedy Engineering. If you want to shop around, check all of them out, They pretty much use the same stuff. 914GT really has a sweet car and very well laid out. If that is the kind of work that Desert Hybrids does, I would definitely give them a look also. As for the radiator, there is no comparison on any of them, Renegade is the only choice in my opinion. Kennedy has the best price for the adapter, clutch pressure plate and flywheel. They will also have the throwout bearing and pilot bearing kit. I think they have the best price on those items. As for gearing, the stock is fine for around town driving or AXing if that is what you want. If you want to do any long distance driving, I would look into different gears for 4th and 5th or at least 5th. Good luck with it, it is scary fast with any V8, the 327 or 283 are the ideal choice but many have had great results with the 350. Stay away from the 400's as they have way too much torque.
+Quote Post
914GT
post Nov 7 2004, 07:33 PM
Post #4

Thanks much for the comment about my car. Just to be clear - I built my car and not DH. But DH does build some great cars, and he is extremely helpful to answer questions. I did buy the engine mount bar, KEP Stage III clutch and adapter plate, starter, and radiator/fan kit from DH. I did my own electric water pump design. I have had zero problems with the DH radiator, 3/4" steel pipe under the car, and my water pump - even in stop/go traffic on 110 deg days. Engine has never gone over 200F. So I think you can't go wrong with either Renegade or DH. If you 'roll you own' cooling system be prepared to do some experimenting and engineering on your own to get it right.
+Quote Post
brp914
post Nov 7 2004, 08:03 PM
Post #5

Unregistered

Dont do it. You must have better things to do with your time and $. You will work your ass off, blow a fortune and then sell it for a huge loss.
+Quote Post
chunger
post Nov 7 2004, 08:22 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 133

Go for it. . .

I tried to bite off too much for myself to chew on my conversion, but I will finish it. Got sidetracked with house.

I bought my stuff from Renegade, and the products are good, and they stand behind them.

KEP we helpful as well, and seems they've got their stuff together.

Desert Hybrids was not around yet when I did the majority of my conversion parts gathering, but they look like good folks.

My budget buster was the 930 transmission. Set me back $4500.00 but if I ever get this thing stuck together, I'll be able to romp on it. Mabe even know how to drive by then since I'm picking up Rob's a/x car.

Seems the 350 parts are cheaper than other displacemnents for motor building. Can build long duration, short lift (cheap valvetrain components) motor for reasonable.

-'Chung
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Nov 7 2004, 08:42 PM
Post #7

neo life

Member No.: 159

Kerry,
There's tons of info on the conversion here: V8 There's more if you search just "V8".
There are other websites, bbs', and PM (private messaging) to V8 owners. Decide on the type of car you want, how much you want to personally wrench, and of course your budget.
Good luck,
Felix
+Quote Post
Kerrys914
post Nov 7 2004, 08:46 PM
Post #8

Dear, the parts I just sold paid for that part ;)

Member No.: 16

Thanks..

I don't mind fabing things up..Kind-a fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I figure I will need to buy fro DH or ?? ;
- Engine mount bar
- Adapter Plate
- Clutch kit
- Starter
- Radiator
- V8 Engine

Any more details on the electric water pump? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Does anyone one have a spreadsheet of the costs/parts they bought? Do you guys think it is possible to get a conversion done for around $3000 or less?

Cheers
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 7 2004, 08:50 PM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

I'm looking at the DH site and half the 914 pics are from RH ?? The 930 shift linkgage is from RS ??

I push Renegade. Still push Renegade. The radiator setup from RH is VERY nice and somewhat pricey..

B
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 7 2004, 08:51 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

3000$ or less ??

Do you have the engine ?? I forget what you said..lol

3000$ will get you a kit without a decent radiator.

I tell people 12k for a warrantied GM crate 350 and the install with RH parts and RH radiator.

B
+Quote Post
914GT
post Nov 7 2004, 09:31 PM
Post #11

Well, you can see everyone has their opinions on this subject. A few DH parts are Renegade or Rod Simpson, like the linkage. Some parts don't justify the effort & cost to build yourself, but he offers them to customers who want them. His water pumps, brackets, and engine mount bars he manufactures himself and they have some advantages over some of the other designs. The brackets are less prone to flex. But it all comes down to comparing the prices. I put $1800 into an old 350. It kicks ass. A good machine shop can build a better motor than a crate motor, and definitely better than the POS remanufactured engines from FLAPS.
I'm running Dedenbear remote pump and water header. Works great. Runs cool. Less than $400 and you can then run a stock Chevy fuel pump. Again, others have opinions they don't work and that's fine. Works for me and when I build another one I'll use the exact same design.

Follow-up correction to above: none of Desert Hybrids parts are from Renegade.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 7 2004, 09:55 PM
Post #12

914 Freak!

I like the electric pump idea.. but they are designed for cooling off engines between drag racing rounds. I looked into the continued use and it was something like 500 hours.. barely a years worth of driving to/from work once a week (please prove me wrong)

Correct on the crate motor.. ALL local shops can build stuff cheaper.. but you wont get the warranty. I dont use the all iron motors.. pay a few more bucks and save some weight with the aluminum headed crate engines.

I have assembled everyones kits over the last 14 years (except the DH guy) His stuff looks good. I'm happy to see he actually makes it himself.. something none of the others do. This means he can correct problems in the manufacturing of the goods fasters than RH or RS.

B
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Nov 7 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

May have some V8 conversion parts for sale soon.

I need money to buy this.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 7 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #14

914 Freak!

That is VERY nice. Let us know what you are going to sell.

B
+Quote Post
WaltGGB
post Nov 7 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 2,968

Question related to SBC swap. Sorry if this is considered a hijack. Can a TPI setup be used without hacking up the trunk?

Thanks, Walt
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 7 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #16

914 Freak!

I havent seen a successful TPI setup installed into a 914 (which year Walt ?) The throttle body would end up between your shoulders. I do know Accell sold one that hung the throttle body off to the side of the center plenum, but I havent seen that used in a 914 either.

B
+Quote Post
chunger
post Nov 7 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #17

no tpi into 914 without hacking trunk. . . yet. . .
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 7 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #18

914 Freak!

why hacking the trunk ?? I dont get it.. nothing hangs off the back of a TPI engine.. the dizzy is the only thing in the way ??

I personally would use a mini ram engine from a 95 or so Vette.

B
+Quote Post
chunger
post Nov 7 2004, 10:44 PM
Post #19

oops. . . sorry I meant hacking the firewall. I'm dislexcic and can't spell too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
914GT
post Nov 7 2004, 10:44 PM
Post #20

The pump I'm using is meant more for hot rod applications rather than drag racing. It's rated for 10k hours but the engineer at Pleasanton CA told me they'd seen them run much longer than that. They can be jammed up by sloppy use of Teflon thread tape or use of radiator leak-stop. The rebuild kits are fairly inexpensive and replacement motors aren't terribly high either. I'd love to have an all-aluminum block, hell I'd be thrilled with just the heads. Maybe someday...
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:29 AM