Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Getting fuel on floor near pedal cluster on my '74....
tommott77
post Dec 18 2012, 09:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,495
Region Association: None

...Is the only source for a leak in that area from the tank itself?

After doing a good bit of research here tonight it seems that only the 75 and 76s had extra fuel lines, filters, and pumps up front under the tank, and that my '74 should only have the two lines under the tank, which are new, on the passenger side of the car. I also believe that the hard lines run through the tunnel and don't come near the driver side of the car..... Perhaps leaving only the tank as the possible culprit?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Dec 18 2012, 09:43 PM
Post #2

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

QUOTE(tommott77 @ Dec 18 2012, 07:23 PM) *

After doing a good bit of research here tonight it seems that only the 75 and 76s had extra fuel lines, filters, and pumps up front under the tank, and that my '74 should only have the two lines under the tank, which are new, on the passenger side of the car. I also believe that the hard lines run through the tunnel and don't come near the driver side of the car..... Perhaps leaving only the tank as the possible culprit?

I'd bet you probably need to change the hose / filter under the tank too. Pull the inspection panel in the front trunk. Disconnect the battery just to assure you have no source of ignition and work backwords, you probably would be looking at replacing the plastic fuel lines in the tunnel. Stainless is a good option.
The gas will disolve the tar and create a mess if it sits too long, as well as being dangerous.
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Dec 18 2012, 09:43 PM
Post #3

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

I probably don't need to say this, but don't drive it until you figure this out. I would not park it in your garage either.

Too many of these cars have burned up.

If you still have the old plastic fuel lines in the tunnel they could be cracked.

I was not sure from your message if you replaced those.

Otherwise, it sounds like the rubber hoses under your tank may be cracked or not sealing well.

There are different diameter lines needed (which is a stupid design to me) and if you try to clamp the larger one where the smaller one belongs they will leak. Seems like they are 10mm and 8mm. 10mm to the larger nipple in the tank and then 8mm to the fuel filter (?). Some vendor sells a hose that is 10mm on one end and 8 mm on the other. I am not making this up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

John
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Dec 18 2012, 09:50 PM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The lines under the tank and the center tunnel lines are more likely culprits than the tank itself for fuel on the floorboard.

--DD
+Quote Post
tommott77
post Dec 18 2012, 10:29 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 18 2012, 10:43 PM) *

QUOTE(tommott77 @ Dec 18 2012, 07:23 PM) *

I'd bet you probably need to change the hose / filter under the tank too. Pull the inspection panel in the front trunk. Disconnect the battery just to assure you have no source of ignition and work backwords, you probably would be looking at replacing the plastic fuel lines in the tunnel. Stainless is a good option.
The gas will disolve the tar and create a mess if it sits too long, as well as being dangerous.

From the searching on the forum I did tonight I was under the impression that '74s do not have the filter under the tank, is that not correct?

I also did a quick looksee for the inspection panel that I found referenced in some other threads. I didn't see and assumed that my '74 didn't have one. Is there one, and if so where would it be located?

The tunnel seems dry btw. The fuel seems to be emanating from in front of pedal assembly leaking through the front firewall separating the hell hole from the cabin.
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Dec 18 2012, 10:34 PM
Post #6

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414

This may sound stupid but could it be brake fluid and not gasoline?

The brake master cylinder could be leaking right at the front wall next to the pedals.

If you are sure it is gasoline, I would drain and remove the tank to see what is up.

John
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Dec 18 2012, 10:49 PM
Post #7

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Dec 18 2012, 11:34 PM) *

... brake fluid and not gasoline?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
bad master cylinder
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Dec 18 2012, 10:58 PM
Post #8

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Agreed. If it's brake gas you can smell it, if it's an oily substance, bad master cylinder. Either way tyhe fuel lines (if they are original) will eventualy need to be replaced. Chris has them.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 19 2012, 06:46 AM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 18 2012, 11:49 PM) *

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Dec 18 2012, 11:34 PM) *

... brake fluid and not gasoline?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
bad master cylinder

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Happened to me over the summer.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ripper911
post Dec 19 2012, 07:06 AM
Post #10

corde pulsum tangite

Member No.: 11,654

A while back I had a rust spot on the gas tank that developed into a leak, but it dripped out from under the car instead of into the cabin. If it is fuel, check the spots where the tank is against other surfaces for rusting which can cause a leak.
+Quote Post
tommott77
post Dec 19 2012, 07:45 AM
Post #11

No doubt it's fuel....unless if the previous owner managed to find a way to run the brake hydraulics off of some sweet swelling 93 octane.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Dec 19 2012, 07:51 AM
Post #12

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

There are two short pieces of metal tubing that go from the rubber hoses under the tank, thru the rubber grommet, and connect to the plastic hoses thru the tunnel. I'm betting the leak is at the plastic line to metal tubing in the tunnel. Pull the carpet from the tunnel by the pedal to expose a small inspection plate. With a mirror and flashlight, you can see in the tunnel. Sounds like its time for all new lines and hoses.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 19 2012, 09:32 AM
Post #13

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

pull the tank out and replace the rubber hoses that go from the tank to the plastic fuel lines in the tunnel.
I bet you will find those are cracked and leaking, and the gas is running down the outside of the fuel line into the tunnel...

The lowest spot on the floor is underneath the pedal cluster.

rich
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Dec 19 2012, 12:03 PM
Post #14

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(tommott77 @ Dec 18 2012, 08:29 PM) *

From the searching on the forum I did tonight I was under the impression that '74s do not have the filter under the tank, is that not correct?

That is correct. The 74 cars originally had the pump and the filter located under the engine shelf, like the 70-73 cars. A relatively popular modification is to move the pump up to where the steering rack lives, but it probably has not been done on the majority of 70-74 cars.

If it's fuel, only two real possibilities:
- The fuel lines in the center tunnel are leaking
- The fuel tank has rusted (or abraded, but much less likely!) to the point where there is a hole, and the gas is finding its way into the cabin instead of under the car. Possibly through another rust or abrasion hole.

....Or, if someone installed aftermarket equipment like a stereo, air conditioning, alarm, or some such, the installer could have run a screw into the tank... Similar things have been known to happen.

--DD
+Quote Post
tommott77
post Dec 19 2012, 01:07 PM
Post #15

Welp...had a couple minutes today and pulled the tank and it was indeed the culprit. The leak is the 2" wide wet spot in the center of the photo. Rusted straight through. Looks like the fuel was leaking down the little shelf that that part of the tank sits on, and made its way into the cabin through the steering rack cavity.

Not sure if this is good news or bad news. The good news is I don't have to worry about going through the pain in the arse of changing/feeding lines through the tunnel. The bad news is that one of the radiator shops in town that I was going to take it to to boil and patch is closed from Dec 13th -Jan 7th, apparently they can go a month every year sans any income, and the other spot in town mystifialbly just closed down.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
walterolin
post Dec 19 2012, 01:20 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 13,838

Change the tunnel lines while you have the tank out. They are plastic and 40 years old. My lines inside the engine compartment literally crumbled in my hands when I pulled them this summer.

Rust and gas fires are the enemies of the teener. And doofuses running into you from behind.

Olin
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Dec 19 2012, 01:26 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Get some fuel lines from Tangerine Racing. Replacing the isn't really that big of a job. Even if it is a pain in the ass, it affords great piece of mind. I used truck brake lines but that was before I new pre-bent ss lines were available. CHANGE THE FUEL LINES. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Dec 19 2012, 02:20 PM
Post #18

Lack of consideration to others, and Selfish!

Member No.: 3,016
Region Association: Central California

+1 on what Elliot says! I will be changing my lines this winter also.
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Dec 19 2012, 02:26 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

"Change the tunnel lines while you have the tank out. They are plastic and 40 years old. My lines inside the engine compartment literally crumbled in my hands when I pulled them this summer. "

[/color]
Take the time and do the complete job. . . pulling the tank it the hardest part. . you're more than 1/2 way there. . It's all about being safe. . . . and keeping us from saying "I told you so" if the car burns up later
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914itis
post Dec 19 2012, 02:45 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States

Change the fuel lines!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 09:13 AM