Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> starter question, need more power
freezing14
post Nov 8 2004, 09:15 AM
Post #1

freezing14

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,233

Ok i get ready to start by newly rebuilt 1.7 bored to 1.8 with ss valve and upgraded spring with swivell foot adjuster,, the engine crank ok without the spark plug, but the starter is not strong enough to crank with the plugs on , I check the the crack was free reving by removing all the rocker just to make sure and it cranks just fine with the plugs, but if I add the rocker which also turn freely on the shaft, it cannot crank, those dawn bugger spring are stiff,, now i know i need a new starter, but like most of you I am cheap , so what are my options,, bus starter,911 starter,, can you upgrade the 914 core to give it more torque, keep the core, cheaper,, or is it just because it is a 30 year old starter,, By the way i tried 2 starter, a new battery, the one from My S4 and the car is a 72 1.7 d-jet
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
machina
post Nov 8 2004, 09:33 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

Maybe you have a bad ground or need a new battery.

I have close to 11:1 CR and dual springs and an antique starter, works just fine.
+Quote Post
crash914
post Nov 8 2004, 09:37 AM
Post #3

its a mystery to me

Member No.: 434
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Well, I found out why my motor was hard to crank...one rocker arm siezed on the shaft...was holding open the intake valve...the motor did run though..the stock starter is strong.

I (before I found the problem) ordered an IMI high torque starter...its the bomb...spins the motor over with no problem and half the weight.....freed up the rocker arm (made a nice groove in the shaft).

You can find one for about $200 to $225. Check with HPH, or search here or ebay...

just remember, the stock starter will turn over a high compression motor.. If it won't, there must be something wrong....

good luck!
+Quote Post
freezing14
post Nov 8 2004, 10:50 AM
Post #4

freezing14

Member No.: 2,233

I have checked all the moving part for stikyness, the crank , the rocker, the valve, and everything is free moving, , would a high lift cam and super valve spring do this,, anyone has the stock lift and time of the stock cam to compare with the one I got
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:06 AM