Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Possible to refurbish a 914 sun visor?
tumamilhem
post Dec 27 2012, 06:23 PM
Post #1

LUFTBRIGADE

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,092
Region Association: South East States

First off, if anybody has a very good condition passenger sun visor with mirror for sale, please PM me.

So I just got another 914 and am trying to correct some parts on it so they are all in good condition. One of the items is the passenger sun visor with mirror.

I have two passenger sun visors. Neither will do. Yet I am almost convinced I can make a near perfect one out of both.

The first picture is the visor that came with the car I just got. The visor itself is in good condition. The foam is still soft and thick and the vinyl is in good shape. The flap covering the mirror is still attached, though there is no more Velcro to secure it (easily replaced). The problem is the mirror is broken in several pieces. And other than leaving glass fragments on the floor or passenger's lap, it is unusable. And dangerous.

Pros:
- good vinyl
- mirror flap attached
- thick, soft foam padding (matches driver side visor)

Cons:
- broken mirror

Attached Image

The second picture is the visor I already had. Vinyl is in good shape, mirror is in good shape, but the foam padding has disintegrated inside, breaking apart, hard and brittle and no longer thick but flat as the padding has disintegrated. There is no flap covering the mirror, not a major concern of mine but am hoping to fix.

Pros:
- good vinyl
- good mirror

Cons:
- no mirror flap
- disintegrated foam padding

Attached Image

It seems the mirror cannot be removed and replaced. Otherwise I would simply remove the good mirror from one and insert it in the visor with the good padding and mirror cover. But the mirror cannot be taken out because the vinyl is "molded" around the mirror.

I thought about removing the mirror cover from one visor and gorilla glue it to the one with the good mirror. It will have the flap and good mirror, though the visor is thin from disintegrated foam inside.

What I am thinking is if I can cut open the seam on top of BOTH visors (the seam goes around the entire perimeter where the vinyl is molded together - you can see the seam go all the way around the visor) and REMOVE the thick, foam padding from the visor with the broken mirror and insert it into the visor with the disintegrated foam (after removing bad foam) and gorilla glue the mirror flap to it after removing it from the visor with the broken mirror. The tricky part is - how to seal the seam up again? I have seen some places sell refurbished visors. I assume they can re-seal these somehow. After all, they were two separate pieces at first to install the mirror and then presumably heat-sealed back together.

Has anybody done this or know how to do this? Or any other suggestions on how to do this? Or is there a way to remove the good mirror and install it in the visor with the bad mirror? Or does anybody just have a good passenger side sun visor I can buy and not worry about imposing further ruin to two visors?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
tumamilhem   Possible to refurbish a 914 sun visor?   Dec 27 2012, 06:23 PM
ConeDodger   You might see if 914rubber.com is still providing ...   Dec 27 2012, 06:41 PM
scotty b   Make a male + female wood mold of it. Poke a hol...   Dec 27 2012, 06:48 PM
tumamilhem   Make a male + female wood mold of it. Poke a ho...   Dec 27 2012, 07:17 PM
scotty b   Make a male + female wood mold of it. Poke a h...   Jan 15 2013, 08:36 PM
wndsrfr   Yes it can be done, I did it about ten years ago a...   Dec 27 2012, 07:17 PM
tumamilhem   Yes it can be done, I did it about ten years ago ...   Dec 27 2012, 07:25 PM
euro911   What is the bird site? I will search here, thank y...   Dec 27 2012, 07:45 PM
tumamilhem   Yes it can be done, I did it about ten years ago ...   Dec 27 2012, 08:01 PM
Bob L.   "The bird site" is Pelican parts website...   Dec 27 2012, 07:41 PM
JawjaPorsche   Here is a company that restores our sun visors: ...   Dec 27 2012, 08:32 PM
gothspeed   Here is a company that restores our sun visors: ...   Dec 29 2012, 12:10 PM
tumamilhem   Thank you. I'm sure that is fine for most, but...   Dec 27 2012, 09:04 PM
Mikey914   I'm checking with James to see about doing ano...   Dec 28 2012, 12:16 AM
rfuerst911sc   I'm checking with James to see about doing an...   Dec 29 2012, 04:54 AM
anderssj   Yes it can be done, I did it about ten years ago...   Dec 29 2012, 12:22 PM
tumamilhem   [quote name='tumamilhem' post='1791522' date='Dec...   Dec 29 2012, 12:36 PM
nihil44   Mark, Any movement on the refurbishment of the su...   Jan 15 2013, 04:11 PM
Mikey914   Expanding foam is no good as it breaks down pretty...   Jan 15 2013, 11:38 PM
ruby914   Expanding foam is no good as it breaks down prett...   Jan 16 2013, 09:10 PM
RON S.   I mulled over finding a way to redo my visors, as ...   Jan 16 2013, 05:16 PM
euro911   There you go, Mike, thinking outside of the box ag...   Jan 16 2013, 10:40 PM
tumamilhem   I made a new topic, pictures and description, on s...   Feb 6 2013, 07:25 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 10:53 AM