Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 purity poll, where do you stand?
which of the following statements do you identify with?
which of the following statements do you identify with?
914s should have its original engine, its a sacred relationship between chassis and engine [ 14 ] ** [7.41%]
914s can have a different engine as long as its a Porsche motor [ 84 ] ** [44.44%]
914s are just a light chasis to cram any frickin engine I see fit, chevy or scooby, and if you don't like it - piss off [ 91 ] ** [48.15%]
Total Votes: 189
Guests cannot vote 
SteveSr
post Nov 9 2004, 11:58 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,223

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Nov 9 2004, 08:03 AM)
My attitude is "Sure, why not?" (#3), tho I tend towards form follows function and ask the question "does it *work*?"

If you're gonna do some oddball conversion, make it work at least as well as the original 30 year old car. A car that's broke down all the time.....or never gets on the road/track shows that you have a lot to learn ...or you're a troll. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) A lot of people probably said the same kind of things about the first '32 roadster that was carved up and a big V8 stuffed in.
My car will never be a concourse or trailer queen. I voted #3 because thats what I want ,not the PCA or anyone else. I just want to go fast,have fun building my car,learn a few things along the way and blow some doors off some Miatas (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

SteveSr
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Nov 9 2004, 12:09 PM
Post #42

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

You're all the 356 owners of 2020.

Think 15 years ahead...

There will be some stock ones out there.

There will be some modified with Porsche engines.

There will be some creative alternatives.

The only concerns I would have with mega-machines is the viability of the chassis. It was designed in 68-69 for approx 130hp tops. When the factory went GT they attempted to stiffen the chassis the best they knew how at the time (they knew there were issues). They also added some of the better brakes of the day.

That being said, we've learned a lot about the SWOT of the 914. There's inner long kits. Chassis stiffening kits. New instructions on what to do with our rear shock towers. 3.5" struts to bolt on that allow virtually any macho brake application known to man. Adapters for virtually any engine bolt up. Kits that turn a 915 into a modern day 916, cages and harnesses to help protect you when you're right foot gets out of control.

I hit #2 cause that's "me". I dig Porsches because "they're Porsches". My first car was a Beetle at age 14. I couldn't drive it for two years so my father and I rebuilt the engine. I built about 4 more after that and naturally progressed to a 914 at age 18. Once I had a 914 I had to have a 911 and the story goes on and on. I've torn every single one I've owned apart. I have been absolutely fascinated with their engineering and over engineering (of some products). I think a stock 914 or 914-6 is a true balance in engineering and an absolute hoot to drive (in the vintage sense). I've been around enough autocrosses to see a well driven, stock 2.0, smoke the living shit out of 90% of the 911's at the track. I always like to ask myself... "What would it be like to ride in the passengers seat of my car with Brian Redman or Vic Elford at the wheel?" Would they wonder where my aluminum pedals were, or would they basically smoke everything at the track that day? Would they amaze me with hidden potentials I never knew my car had? What do you think?

I really think option #3 is cool... keep the spirit of the mark and engineer the shit out of it. It's (914 chassis) a great start... mid engine, low CG, nice brakes. However, while restoring the 911, I realized the limitations of our chassis. I was doing some serious racing on a stock chassis. A-pillars cracked. C-pillars cracked. If you're going to add ponies (regardless of the make) start with the chassis.

Stock, Porsche Mod., Chevy, Scooby... done "right" they're all pretty cool. Have fun, it's your car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Nov 9 2004, 12:40 PM
Post #43

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

I like stock ones. I like modified ones. I like to see what the creative side of people can produce.

I'm going to have one of each. Why, because we have some twisty roads that follow the rivers around here and a whole bunch of flat ones that go for miles and miles. So the 74 will be stock (with a few mods for weekend AXing) and the 73 (flaired roller) will get the 327/325hp sbc that's sitting in the garage.

Ideally I'd like 2 cars exactly the same. Same paint, interior and badging. A go fast car and a go very fast car.

Dosen't PCA stand for Porsche Chevrolet America?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
RonD
post Nov 9 2004, 12:49 PM
Post #44

Ron Diederichsen

Member No.: 2,286
Region Association: None

Since I fell into a super deal for a low mileage LE car I think it needs to be kept as original as possible.

Plus I like think the sophisticated simplicity, performance and economy of the air cooled Type IV with FI is pretty hard to beat.

But I love the electric conversions and a six sure would be fun.

You start to loose me with the water cooled stuff. But it's your money. Have fun!
+Quote Post
kermit
post Nov 9 2004, 12:54 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 3,049

QUOTE(GWN7 @ Nov 9 2004, 10:40 AM)
Dosen't PCA stand for Porsche Chevrolet America?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Some really good points about the limitations of the chassis and all the lessons learned to overcome them in the last 30+ years.

I once instructed a guy with a relatively stock 914 with a Chevy V8 in it, stock wheels and everything. First of all, it was really wierd seeing one of those automatic shifters poking out, but beyond that - the car was practically undrivable. the tires would light up at the lightest jab of the throttle at very low rpms. I recall he went through a lot of CV joints (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

This poll kinda surprised me when I logged in this morning - it really grew. Great to get a sense of all the diverse and really passionate responses, which is really what this is all about.

Whatever you do, just remember this sequence:
1. tires
2. suspension
3. brakes
4. cooling
5. hp

Driving skills and weight reduction at any time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Nov 9 2004, 01:14 PM
Post #46

PMB Performance

Engineers Bott and Piech feel that the 914 chassis is good for 150 bhp more than the /6 now has, and when I questioned them as to whether an “S” version would eventually be offered, they replied only that it was not a bad idea and that engine cooling and other engineers details would have to be investigated before such a car could be produced.

...other engineers details like "how to keep it from splitting in two". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

That would be 260hp. It's no hidden mystery that the factory designed stiffening kits just two years after that article was written because the chassis was cracking. Search the threads for chassis stiffening, shock tower etc... it's fairly well documented. Also, keep in mind that we are now 35 years post that article. They hadn't even finished the first lap at the Nurenburgring yet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

In the spirit of the letter I agree "the 914 chassis is good for 150 bhp more than the /6 now has". It simply has to be modified to accept such an increase, which means I'll stand by what I said...

It's (914 chassis) a great start... mid engine, low CG, nice brakes. However, while restoring the 911, I realized the limitations of our chassis. I was doing some serious racing on a stock chassis. A-pillars cracked. C-pillars cracked. If you're going to add ponies (regardless of the make) start with the chassis.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Nov 9 2004, 01:48 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 538

My thought is that most people do another engine conversion purely because of budget. That is my case for certain. I would love to put a 993 twin turbo monster in my car and get the power I desire however when I look at the old bank account and start up the adding machine I find that I'm many uber dollars short. Even if I managed to scrape together enough for the engine I would be afraid to drive it because if it ever blew up I would need to hijack another Brinks truck to get it back on the road. So I picked a motor that was still somewhat exotic, easily makes over 400 hp and will cost me $1500 US to rebuild if I need to.

I voted #3 because I see nothing wrong with stuffing another motor in however I would personally prefer to stay all Porsche if I could. Why settle for less than you really desire just to keep the brand name the same?
+Quote Post
mharrison
post Nov 9 2004, 02:51 PM
Post #48

Why do I bother????

Member No.: 1,123

Well, it's your car, do what you want with it. But, I'll be keeping Porsche power under that little bitty engine cover!

I've seen some REALLY nice conversions though. I'm scared to drive a v-8 conversion. I'm afraid I'd want one!
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Nov 9 2004, 03:54 PM
Post #49

PMB Performance

I would need to hijack another Brinks truck

Another? Something you want to get off your chest? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(we won't tell... honest)
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Nov 9 2004, 04:27 PM
Post #50

neo life

Member No.: 159

914s should have its original engine, its a sacred relationship between chassis and engine

How "original"? 70's bias ply tires, no synthetic fluids, oil shocks, brake compounds, spark plugs, etc.??? I'll bet there are only a handfull of museum cars that actually fall within this category...
I enjoyed building my V8 914 in my 20's but my next 914 will be heavily modified to modern standards. My age and requirements have changed and I don't want to live in the past. I want my daughter to be able to drive it daily when she is old enough (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Nov 9 2004, 05:54 PM
Post #51

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897

Soooo far I am only thinking about restoring the car with the existing 4 cylinder, although I am considering a larger displacement motor. I love the various hybrids out there, but I think that I will always stick with an air-cooled P-engine for my own ride.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 9 2004, 07:09 PM
Post #52

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

As I get older... and the cars get older... I appreciate the concourse cars.

I strive to use OE hardware anywhere I can. I go out of my way to fix electrical problems WITHOUT adding a single wire. I'll even use OE wire if I need to replace something.

B
+Quote Post
carreraguy
post Nov 9 2004, 07:17 PM
Post #53

It's not your dad's 914!

Member No.: 1,256
Region Association: Northern California

Hard for me to vote but I selected the first option. When I got my '76 last year it was low mileage and almost totally stock and I decided to keep it that way since it was so original. That being said, if I had enough garage space (and $$) I would definitely be on the lookout for a well-done 6 cylinder (Porsche engine only) conversion!
+Quote Post
type47fan
post Nov 9 2004, 10:37 PM
Post #54

It Looks Better In Person. . .

Member No.: 1,170
Region Association: Southern California

"To each his own. . ." That's one of the things that makes the USA a geat place to live (can I say that here?).

I've been a VW/Porsche fan since the early '60s. I used to be a purist and have been a concour weenie. Now I'm just an old weenie. In the sunset of my years, I enjoy customizing my favorite car (914) anyway I feel like and can afford. I'm a excellent driver and really enjoy the total experience of a 300 hp SBC with the noisy gear drive whining right behind my head as I cruise the mountain roads or freeways early Saturday mornings in southern California.

I really enjoy this board because of all of the diversity and acceptance (most of the time) displayed by the membership. I know how hard I work to keep my 30 year old ride operational and I know the rest of you are equally committed. Keep ém rolling, in any form.

Thanks, Wayne (type47fan)
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Nov 9 2004, 11:04 PM
Post #55

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I like um all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Heavy Metal, Rock, Country, Pop, Alternative, Clasiscal they all have their place.

Cars, as long as they are built safely and the owner/driver likes the car, then I'm happy. What others think should not dictate what you drive. I don't want to drive what everyone else is driving.

There are 2 red 944 turbos in my town of 200k. They both sit in my driveway. One is virtually stock (for now), the other is a used and abused hot rod. The third "Porsche" in our family sits in the garage since it's missing a window. It's not anything Ferry would approve of. We didn't build it for him. The SBC made the car fun again for us. And so far no one in the PCA has thumbed their nose at us.

Do I like a perfect concours restored 914 4 or 6? Yes, it brings back memories of days past. Would I own one? No, because I know I wouldn't keep it stock. I'll leave it to those who will care and appreciate them for what they are.

Let's see, which cars I would own and leave stock...
69 427 Corvette
65 427 Cobra
A handful of other muscle cars.
2005 Z07 - Na scratch that one, I'd change something.

Saw a great Rides show on 'Rat Rods'. They built up a Model T. Running train and some body work, no top or interior to speak of. By their standards it was done. Even took it to a car show. If we thought like they did, Andrews car would be done. We don't though, Andrew will finish his and it will be a head turner. Until then, it's Rat Rod 914...

I've bored you all enough...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
anthony
post Nov 9 2004, 11:29 PM
Post #56

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

I guess I'm more of a purist. I like to see these cars with aircooled Porsche engines. That said, I do appreciate well done high-end V8 conversions. And I'm sure they cost just as much as putting a big six in a 914.

Who wouldn't want this in their 914 (3.5L twin plug)??:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
krk
post Nov 10 2004, 01:47 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 22

QUOTE(dan10101 @ Nov 9 2004, 10:04 PM)

Let's see, which cars I would own and leave stock...
69 427 Corvette
65 427 Cobra

Not boring at all! Great pic! (In fact, I love the idea of 914-rat-rods)

Oh, on the "pristine list", I'd add a GT40, just for fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

kim.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 11:31 AM