Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2.0l fuel injected engine surge starve cycle?
DRPHIL914
post Jan 3 2013, 02:07 PM
Post #21

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 3 2013, 03:01 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jdlmodelt
post Jan 3 2013, 02:19 PM
Post #22

James D. Lane

Member No.: 15,210
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jan 3 2013, 01:07 PM) *

Okay. I'll read and try some things tonight. Thanks!
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 3 2013, 02:29 PM
Post #23

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

Does LJET have an MPS? I thought it had a mass flow sensor.

The car is a '76. This would've been LJET, correct?
+Quote Post
tod914
post Jan 3 2013, 02:29 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Do you have your oil pressure switch plugged in? It's just right (passanger side) of the distributor by about an inch or so. Theres a hole in the engine tin you'll see. You may or may not have the rubber boot on it. Actually that's the green with red stripes on that.

Check your email and foward me an email if you can. I want to email you a diagram that should help sort out all your wiring issues.

Quick side note, if you very carefully slide the sheath/rubber boots up the wires, you can see that each wire has a specific number stenciled on it. It will correlate to the number on your sensor in most cases. That will help you figure out which way your plug goes into your MPS. Those numbers are on the plastic that you match to. It should only go in one way, but maybe your wire connector was changed some where down the line.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jan 3 2013, 02:44 PM
Post #25

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 3 2013, 03:29 PM) *

Does LJET have an MPS? I thought it had a mass flow sensor.

The car is a '76. This would've been LJET, correct?

Not sure,.
Ah, well i should read more careful. But l-jet info is there on p.b. anders as well.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jan 3 2013, 02:50 PM
Post #26

Dr. Phil

duplicate post- darn phone!

- bill you have a 76 with
F.I., what say you?
+Quote Post
jdlmodelt
post Jan 3 2013, 03:08 PM
Post #27

James D. Lane

QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 3 2013, 01:29 PM) *

Do you have your oil pressure switch plugged in? It's just right (passanger side) of the distributor by about an inch or so. Theres a hole in the engine tin you'll see. You may or may not have the rubber boot on it. Actually that's the green with red stripes on that.

Check your email and foward me an email if you can. I want to email you a diagram that should help sort out all your wiring issues.

Quick side note, if you very carefully slide the sheath/rubber boots up the wires, you can see that each wire has a specific number stenciled on it. It will correlate to the number on your sensor in most cases. That will help you figure out which way your plug goes into your MPS. Those numbers are on the plastic that you match to. It should only go in one way, but maybe your wire connector was changed some where down the line.

you can email me at jdlmodelt@yahoo.com
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 3 2013, 03:35 PM
Post #28

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

75/76 2.0 liter motor is Djet Fuel Injection.

The key differences is the air injection ports in the head, the Cat convertor and unique heat exchangers, and the emmissions system.

The MPS and ECU are unique to the 75/76 model years, but Anders site deliniates all of that.

Rich
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 3 2013, 04:13 PM
Post #29

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

reving and near stalling on its own accord is also as 'hunting'.

did this engine EVER run for you?

print out the info from pb anders site and highlight the pertinent sections.

i'm afraid you are going to have to go way back and try to undo what you've done. don't be in a big hurry, try to be methodical in your approach. if you tearing into it you'll get further in the hole. you're going to be bombarded with lots of great possible solutions. first order of biz is to become familiar with wiring schematic. not the whole car! just the engine circuitry. get a camera take pictures and post them. it will speed things up for you
+Quote Post
jdlmodelt
post Jan 3 2013, 08:53 PM
Post #30

James D. Lane

I'm reading thru all the troubleshooting that was provided by the above posted link. I have two wires that come out of the distributor. I have two wires near the distributor from the wiring harness. I have a coil. I am struggling to find pictures or wiring diagrams that are easy to interpret to determine where each of the wires go. There is also a condenser that is mounted on the engine sheet metal next to the distributor and there is the temp sensor near the distributor. I'll check the wiring for the injectors that comes out of the bottom of the distributor tomorrow when the sun has risen and the temperature has gone up a bit. IT is supposed to be 7 deg F below zero tonight. My garage is not insulated yet....so my furnace does not do much to heat up the garage space.
+Quote Post
tod914
post Jan 4 2013, 11:25 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Two suggestions, one take photos of your engine bay and post them.
Second suggestion which is what I would do, is to very carefully remove your FI harness. Then label each connector on it with tape and mark it exactly as shown in the diagram I sent you; A, B, C, D etc.. Then, find each associate sensor, etc. and mark that area with tape and label it; A B C D according to the diagram; example "I" = coldstart valve. Then use the diagram as a check list as each piece is connected. That should help in getting it installed properly and minimize any connectors in question. Otherwise it looks like a birds nest of wires. Hope that helps.
+Quote Post
jdlmodelt
post Jan 4 2013, 06:58 PM
Post #32

James D. Lane

QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 4 2013, 10:25 AM) *

Two suggestions, one take photos of your engine bay and post them.
Second suggestion which is what I would do, is to very carefully remove your FI harness. Then label each connector on it with tape and mark it exactly as shown in the diagram I sent you; A, B, C, D etc.. Then, find each associate sensor, etc. and mark that area with tape and label it; A B C D according to the diagram; example "I" = coldstart valve. Then use the diagram as a check list as each piece is connected. That should help in getting it installed properly and minimize any connectors in question. Otherwise it looks like a birds nest of wires. Hope that helps.

Woohoo! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) I got her running! I determined that the fuel injector wires were mismatched on both sides of engine. I found all the little wire numbers just as described. I verified wiring on the air inlet and down near the bottom of the distributor, the wiring loom for the distributor connections and the head temp were routed wrong such that the head temp wire could NOT reach the sensor, so I rerouted that so all wires could connect like they are supposed to. I have one wire from the coil wiring loom that I don't know where to land. Where does the RPM tach meter wire to?

Engine sounds excellent! I was finally able to move the 914 over to the first car bay where the heater is so I won't be freezing my tail off anymore.

I am SO excited! Pictures later this weekend! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
jdlmodelt
post Jan 4 2013, 07:00 PM
Post #33

James D. Lane

thanks everyone for all of the hints to figure this piece of the puzzle out! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
jdlmodelt
post Jan 4 2013, 08:06 PM
Post #34

James D. Lane

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 3 2013, 08:25 AM) *

Can you take some pics of this potentiometer you're talking about? There was a trim adjustment on the ECU but not one in the wiring harness. May have been some bandaid by the PO.

BTW, how is the normal idle? Is it smooth?

How does the engine run if you try to go to a high RPM like 2k, 3k?

Does it run good enough to drive it?

It appears as though the pot was not tied to anything. just string tied to the wiring harness..I removed it.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 03:56 AM