Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Speeding cameras
ConeDodger
post Jan 10 2013, 02:31 PM
Post #21

Apex killer!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Here is one of my favorite pictures of Yopu...

First of all, usually the first thing you get is something called a psuedo-summons. It looks official but in reality it is a letter from the camera company and they are looking for you to fill it out and send it back. It is an admission of guilt. Don't do it. You are not required to respond to a letter from a private company.

There are three ways to get out of it. One, if you are the registered owner but you were not driving, go to court. Show them that the person in the picture is not you. Hopefully it isn't your twin because in that case you're screwed. Second, if the picture doesn't clearly show your face, for instance from the nose down is obscured by your visor or rear view mirror, just ignore it because without you admitting guilt by sending the psuedo-summons back, they will just toss it because they cannot clearly identify the driver. The third way, and this is how Ms. Yopu got out of this particular one, is that I was the registered owner of the car. While the picture clearly shows her, the registered owner is most probably a male as his name is Robert... If you don't respond to the psuedo-summons they will see the gender/unclear picture problem and throw it out. If you weren't driving and hopefully it doesn't look like you, go to court. You aren't required to identify the driver.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Jan 10 2013, 02:38 PM
Post #22

Small Member

Member No.: 633

Ha Great thread - I have a fantastic red light camera picture of my wife running th light, cell phone attached to her ear, sun glasses on and her mouth wide open, gabbing away.

I wanted it to be our Christmas card a couple years back ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
last337
post Jan 10 2013, 02:40 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 15,221
Region Association: None

Its funny that in mine they actually blur out the driver. I guess maybe they were getting too many complaints. "But honey, her and I are just friends! We were going to lunch"
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 10 2013, 02:48 PM
Post #24

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(last337 @ Jan 10 2013, 12:40 PM) *

Its funny that in mine they actually blur out the driver. I guess maybe they were getting too many complaints. "But honey, her and I are just friends! We were going to lunch"

Nope. Not complaints. You need a code which is on the psuedo-summons to access the picture. When they blur it, they are increasing their chance that you will just fill it out and send it to them. They only get paid if a ticket is issued and paid. If you don't know if you're recognizable you are more likely to cave. Remember, you are not required to respond to this private company. You only need to respond if you get an actual ticket from an actual municipality. If they think you're recognizable and your name lines up gender wise with the registered owner, they'll send it on to the municipality on their own.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Jan 10 2013, 03:00 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

My favorite is the photo showing a man driving over the speed limit on a highway in Sichuan Province on July 29. He appeared in his 40s and was holding the wheel with one hand and his other hand was touching the breast of a young woman sitting next to him. I wonder how his wife will react when she sees this photo. I think his speeding ticket will be least of his problems!

http://belogkiter.blogspot.com/2011/08/man...e-touching.html

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jan 10 2013, 06:51 PM
Post #26

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Scott S @ Jan 10 2013, 01:38 PM) *

Ha Great thread - I have a fantastic red light camera picture of my wife running th light, cell phone attached to her ear, sun glasses on and her mouth wide open, gabbing away.

I wanted it to be our Christmas card a couple years back ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I'll bet she loved that idea! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jan 10 2013, 07:30 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 10 2013, 04:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Scott S @ Jan 10 2013, 01:38 PM) *

I'll bet she loved that idea! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

$490. red light ticket in Culver City (plus $10. service fee ! ... or adjustment to a nice round number fee.) I own the car but was not the driver.
Wish I knew then that you are not required by law to reveal the identity of the driver.
The driver (who will remain unidentified) paid.
Still, a massive rip off.
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Jan 10 2013, 07:33 PM
Post #28

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

This is big news in Cincinnati right now because a couple of the podunk municipalities have installed these, and they are citing people for 1 over in a 25, etc. There are others who were cited that can prove using GPS logging on their work vehicle that they were not going the specified speed. Most of them are getting thrown out now, and there is a bill in the state legislature to outlaw them. Hope if passes.
+Quote Post
somd914
post Jan 10 2013, 08:40 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Recently had a car stopped at a light in Baltimore get nabbed for speeding! They got out of it easily. The camera contractor wrote it off as a glitch, not a problem with the unit.

What bothers me is contracting out police enforcement to profit-oriented companies. Since the companies get a cut, it is in their best interest to do as much as they can to generate profit.

And to think, in the last year or so I have heard of two federal proposals to mandidate GPS tracking devices in new cars - data would be saved for 30 days.

Another one I dislike are license plate scanners on police cruisers. Even out here in the sticks our police department is buying them. They store the date for several years - Big Brother is watching! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jan 10 2013, 08:45 PM
Post #30

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 10 2013, 10:38 AM) *

Had a friend who received a red light ticket for $285. They mailed a picture of his car in the intersection.

He took a picture of the cash and mailed that in...

Idiot ended up paying almost $500 when it was time to renew registration...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
That's funny. Not smart, but funny.
+Quote Post
moparrob
post Jan 10 2013, 10:07 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 11,663

I've been told those cameras have a particular aversion to .30-06 rounds from 50 yards... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Jan 10 2013, 11:06 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My lawyer neighbor won this stop light case which ended up refunding a bunch more because of a technical timing problem. Probably won't help you, but still interesting. He knew he didn't run the light because he always times the lights on his route through downtown. The camera timing failure was tripping if you entered the intersection just as it turned green.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.s...oves_red-l.html
+Quote Post
stateofidleness
post Jan 10 2013, 11:35 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 8,065

Many have contested these with the claim that they never received the ticket. These are not sent out by certified letter (due to cost) so there is no way to track that it was actually sent. "What ticket? Show me when it was sent and confirmation of delivery."
+Quote Post
bperry
post Jan 10 2013, 11:44 PM
Post #34

Lurker

Member No.: 1,661

Call me a mean heartless bastard but I think every one of you guys or the drivers of your cars deserves to pay every ticket you guys get.
I mean come on, You guys want to violate traffic laws (red light running being the worst)
then when you get busted on camera you want to try to use some technicality to wiggle your way out of it.
Seems pretty shameless to me.

Why not just drive without violating the traffic laws?
Millions do it every day.....

--- bill
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jan 10 2013, 11:56 PM
Post #35

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(somd914 @ Jan 10 2013, 06:40 PM) *

Recently had a car stopped at a light in Baltimore get nabbed for speeding! They got out of it easily. The camera contractor wrote it off as a glitch, not a problem with the unit.

What bothers me is contracting out police enforcement to profit-oriented companies. Since the companies get a cut, it is in their best interest to do as much as they can to generate profit.

And to think, in the last year or so I have heard of two federal proposals to mandidate GPS tracking devices in new cars - data would be saved for 30 days.

Another one I dislike are license plate scanners on police cruisers. Even out here in the sticks our police department is buying them. They store the date for several years - Big Brother is watching! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

GPS tracking devices? Sure, why not. Between the "war on drugs" and now the "war on terror", you can pretty much throw the Constitution out the window. And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, this is a post about the law. Not politics. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
mittelmotor
post Jan 11 2013, 12:05 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 14,464

QUOTE(bperry @ Jan 10 2013, 09:44 PM) *

Call me a mean heartless bastard but I think every one of you guys or the drivers of your cars deserves to pay every ticket you guys get.
I mean come on, You guys want to violate traffic laws (red light running being the worst)
then when you get busted on camera you want to try to use some technicality to wiggle your way out of it.
Seems pretty shameless to me.

--- bill

Bill, I like your style. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Jan 11 2013, 12:07 AM
Post #37

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bperry @ Jan 10 2013, 09:44 PM) *

I firmly believe that I deserve every ticket I receive, weather it was for the act that got me the ticket, or something I got away with another time, but ask any traffic cop, they can find some sort of infraction almost any time fairly easily... Millions not violating traffic laws? More like millions not getting caught at that instant. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
mittelmotor
post Jan 11 2013, 12:17 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 14,464

I detest the speed cameras, but the red light cameras are a useful generator of revenue and a deterrent to unlawful driving...if they are set up fairly (i.e., not snapping a pic halfway through the yellow).

+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jan 11 2013, 12:25 AM
Post #39

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Or we could just shoot the fuckers out with our .30-06! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Jan 11 2013, 12:45 AM
Post #40

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

We can debate this all day long, but we must admit that part of the problem is a due to complete and total inconsistency to law enforcement. There are some states, counties, towns where you can drive 20 over, and you will never be cited, but there are others where you will get nabbed every time. Unfortunately, in these times, it is all dependent on the economy, and the state of the finances of the government of the area that you happen to be driving through.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 06:35 AM