Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Valve Adjustment, Unable to adjust
majorpikins
post Jan 23 2013, 12:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,742
Region Association: Southern California

In preparation for doing a valve adjustment on my 73 1.7 (1.9 big bore) I put the engine in TDC for cylynder one by locating the groove on the upper most part of the flywheel. There also was some sort of mark appearing in the V at the fan housing. When I went to do the adjustment on the number 1 cylynder I was unable to get the feeler gauge under adjusting screw of the intake valve. It appears to be in the open position. Upon examination I noticed that the destributor rotor is pointing to the number 3 cylinder wire location? I just got the car recently and it was running fine except for some backfiring upon deceleration. Any ideas what is going on here?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rockaria
post Jan 23 2013, 12:35 PM
Post #2

ZippidyDoDah...

Member No.: 645
Region Association: None

QUOTE(majorpikins @ Jan 23 2013, 11:31 AM) *

In preparation for doing a valve adjustment on my 73 1.7 (1.9 big bore) I put the engine in TDC for cylynder one by locating the groove on the upper most part of the flywheel. There also was some sort of mark appearing in the V at the fan housing. When I went to do the adjustment on the number 1 cylynder I was unable to get the feeler gauge under adjusting screw of the intake valve. It appears to be in the open position. Upon examination I noticed that the destributor rotor is pointing to the number 3 cylinder wire location? I just got the car recently and it was running fine except for some backfiring upon deceleration. Any ideas what is going on here?

You are not at top dead center for #1. Spin the engine till the distributor points to #1 position and you will see the groove on the flywheel line up like before. Then check. Things should be better and able to adjust.
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jan 23 2013, 01:06 PM
Post #3

Twodollardoug

Member No.: 12,492

You need to rotate the engine 360 degrees. clockwise or anti-clockwise, it dosn't matter at this point.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jan 23 2013, 01:09 PM
Post #4

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Wrong stroke
+Quote Post
Kirmizi
post Jan 23 2013, 01:43 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,568

QUOTE(Rockaria @ Jan 23 2013, 10:35 AM) *

QUOTE(majorpikins @ Jan 23 2013, 11:31 AM) *

You are not at top dead center for #1. Spin the engine till the distributor points to #1 position and you will see the groove on the flywheel line up like before. Then check. Things should be better and able to adjust.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

The popping on decel could be an exhaust leak, or running rich.

Mike
+Quote Post
majorpikins
post Jan 23 2013, 02:15 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 14,742

OK got it thanks guys!
+Quote Post
mr914
post Jan 23 2013, 05:33 PM
Post #7

914 Hillbilly

Member No.: 131

I've seen a couple of cars where the distributor gear was installed 180 degrees out.

Had me scratching my head when Iran into this

When you verify #1' trace the plug wire to ensure
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 05:19 AM