Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LED Taillights, Custom Made for the 914
Spoke
post Jan 26 2013, 02:40 AM
Post #1

Jerry

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

I've wanted to convert my 914 taillights to LED for a while but never got around to it.

Finally I started working on the design of the taillights. This will be a single custom PCB for each side and will have all the LEDs and control circuits on it. One PCB will be used for both sides.

The plan is to remove the existing plastic reflector and bulb assembly and mount a custom board in its place. With proper standoffs, I should be able to mount the board using the same 2 screw holes that secure the reflector.

I'm trying to decide now how many LEDs to use for each purpose. Right now, I have 8 LEDs for the backup lights, 20 LEDs for the running/Brake lights, 24 LEDs for the turnsignals, and 4 LEDs for the side marker.

I've been observing modern cars with LED taillights and some use a few LEDs (like 8) and some a lot (+20).

I would like your opinions on how many LEDs you think would be good to use. On the board below, the LEDs are spaced about 0.7 inches apart. These will be medium brightness white LEDs. (I'll let the lenses provide the color).

The first cut at the board is shown below for the driver's side. The side marker LEDs will be right angle LEDs pointing out the side of the board. They can be seen on the extreme left side of the board.

If these work out, I could manufacture them for World members. One thing though, they won't be cheap. The LEDs are about $0.50 through Digikey and there are more than 55 LEDs on each right now. Plus there's 2 dc-dc converters for providing constant current for the tail/brake and turnsignal LEDs.

Cheers
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jan 26 2013, 03:15 AM
Post #2

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Nice. Are you going to follow up with front light assemblies?
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Jan 26 2013, 04:58 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

I like this please keep the forum updated with progress. In my opinion the maximum LED's you can use for running/brake lights is preferred so we can make the back of our cars as visible as possible. Our cars are very low and with OEM lighting leave a lot to be desired for rear visibility, that's why so many are adding 3rd brake lights.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Jan 26 2013, 08:09 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Good Idea. I like to see lots of leds. I don't like the look of a few bright lamps. I think lots of leds will give a more even display. Our reflectors are getting old and often have the chrome flaking off. Should be a good replacement
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 26 2013, 08:22 AM
Post #5

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I would definitely be in on this buy. I like your configuration as is and would rather see more than less LED's as these cars are hard to see.

I would like to see a kit for the front that would replicate the european design turn-signal bucket configuration and the US version. I would be happy to convert my Six to these lights during the build.

I would still add the high-mount 3rd brake light too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 26 2013, 08:47 AM
Post #6

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

Do a search. Someone was putting quite a bit of effort into doing this a couple years ago. I don't recall if it ever got finished, but IIRC he was close
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 26 2013, 08:57 AM
Post #7

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

I'd do the math with the brightest LEDs available and see what the cost winds up at. I think you'll find these get pretty expensive, my guess is you'ld be into these at $75 a pop ($150 a set) once you got all your costs together. Maybe you can do a little better, but these things add up quick. The key is to sell enough units to spread the cost out over more. You may be able to make them at $35 a pop if you can do 100 sets, it's just seeing what the market for these are, and investing a big chunk of change to get the numbers to work.
I wish you luck.
PS you may want to check with the 1st guy to see why he didn't make them, there may be some issues that are not readilly apparent here.
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Jan 26 2013, 09:23 AM
Post #8

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

Or,

You could just do this.....

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Little Ones Too......

Attached Image

I work for an LED Manufacturer, so I ordered these up for the car, I haven't tried them yet.

Sorry for the crappy photos

John
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jan 26 2013, 09:27 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've been looking at these bulbs myself, and hope you can let us know how they work out. Seems like a nice, easy way to upgrade and hopefully make the car a bit easier to see (there's a reason that I like yellow for small cars - most visible color). You might want to put together a listing of the part numbers of the LED bulbs you used.
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Jan 26 2013, 09:33 AM
Post #10

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

My car isn't ready yet, so,

Maybe I can get a local volunteer to try them.

Scotty-In-NH Where are you?
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 26 2013, 10:08 AM
Post #11

rust free you say ?

Found it

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...e.d.+taillights
+Quote Post
Tilly74
post Jan 26 2013, 10:16 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 14,522

If you're upgrading to LED's (or not, they work with regular bulbs too), you might consider a "back off light" or "taillight flasher". I know many people are concerned with getting rear-ended and protecting their precious teeners. This is usually one of the first mods I do to any motorcycle I ride regularly. The manufacturers advertise something like a 40% reduction in rear end accidents on motorcycles. Also, many newer ambulances feature a similar technology for safety reasons. If anybody wants more info on these I have a large variety of models I can order from at a decent discount as well.

This video is one of the better examples I can find. Most videos look wrong because of frame rates on the cameras. Some modules allow you to fine tune the flash rate, number of flashes, and even integrate turn signals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e368R4ttjCE
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 26 2013, 10:21 AM
Post #13

rust free you say ?

QUOTE(Tilly74 @ Jan 26 2013, 08:16 AM) *

If you're upgrading to LED's (or not, they work with regular bulbs too), you might consider a "back off light" or "taillight flasher". I know many people are concerned with getting rear-ended and protecting their precious teeners. This is usually one of the first mods I do to any motorcycle I ride regularly. The manufacturers advertise something like a 40% reduction in rear end accidents on motorcycles. Also, many newer ambulances feature a similar technology for safety reasons. If anybody wants more info on these I have a large variety of models I can order from at a decent discount as well.

This video is one of the better examples I can find. Most videos look wrong because of frame rates on the cameras. Some modules allow you to fine tune the flash rate, number of flashes, and even integrate turn signals.

Check out the sequential tailight vid that comes up at the end of this vid. IMHO the vertical LED's like that would look best, and making the turns sequntial would be VERY effective, as they really grab people attention
+Quote Post
Tilly74
post Jan 26 2013, 10:33 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 14,522

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 26 2013, 10:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Tilly74 @ Jan 26 2013, 08:16 AM) *

Check out the sequential tailight vid that comes up at the end of this vid. IMHO the vertical LED's like that would look best, and making the turns sequntial would be VERY effective, as they really grab people attention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEREH0XDipo
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 26 2013, 10:38 AM
Post #15

Jerry

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to address each question comment here.

"Nice. Are you going to follow up with front light assemblies?"

Haven't thought about it yet. Which function would the LEDs replace/add? Turnsignals? Running lights?

" I like to see lots of leds. I don't like the look of a few bright lamps. "
AND
"rather see more than less LED's as these cars are hard to see."

Good to hear. I like the "panel" look to modern LED tail/brake lights.

"Do a search. Someone was putting quite a bit of effort into doing this a couple years ago."

LED Tail Lights

You found the same one. Not sure how it worked out. I don't want to modify the housing so mine will screw into the existing mounting holes and use the existing wiring. That's the plan at least. I will have to deal with the lower current draw to keep the flasher happy. I may have to add a power resistor to get enough current. The goal is to do LED lights, not save power.

"I'd do the math with the brightest LEDs available and see what the cost winds up at."

Agreed. This won't be cheap. Individual LEDs are expensive (> $0.50 each). Plus I'm using dc-dc step-up converters to get very stable LED currents regardless of the supply voltage. They will add $15 to the BOM cost.

"Or, You could just do this....."

The goal is a cool LED panel like modern cars. LEDs allow the modern automotive designer to design all kinds of light panels like pyramids, slanted boxes (parallelograms), perimeter tails with brakes in the middle, eye brows, etc.

"you might consider a "back off light" or "taillight flasher"

Neat idea. It might not be that hard to put this in.

+Quote Post
PThompson509
post Jan 26 2013, 12:59 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 4,564

Very nice. BTW, if you are keeping the original plastic cover, make sure your LEDs are the appropriate color - otherwise you are wasting the light. So brake LEDs should be red, turn LEDs should be yellow and backup should be white. Please use warm white (not that ugly "bluish" white).

I'm currently using the plugin LED replacements, and they work ok. According to another electric 914 owner, he used the colored ones to much better effect. I was going to replace mine with red and yellow ones, but if this is ready soon, I'd rather use this.

Oh, since I live in San Diego, you should make sure the components you use can handle the heat. And I'm sure that there are some who actually drive in snow (snow???), so that's another concern.

I also vote for the more-is-better camp. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Cheers! Peter
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 27 2013, 02:28 PM
Post #17

Jerry

I thought about using colored LEDs for turn and brake but thought white would still work with the colored lenses.

Finished up most of the placement of the components and the wiring on the board.

I will add the capability to do the "back-off" brake lights and sequential turn signals. The turn signals are arranged in 6 vertical strings of which I can control each of 2 strings separately.

The BOM cost for components alone is reaching $60 of which 1/2 of this is for the LEDs.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 27 2013, 02:45 PM
Post #18

Jerry

Here's a close up of the outside end of the board. The side marker LEDs are mounted on the edge of the board.

The circuitry is a constant current dc-dc boost converter to drive the turnsignals. This will provide constant current regardless of battery voltage which we all know varies all over the place in the 914. This converter and associated components represents about $10 cost but will give superb operation.

The outside edge of the board is cut at an angle on the top and bottom to allow the same board to be used on both sides.

Attached Image

This little T cut-out is for the webbing in the lens cover. The one mounting hole is very close to the cut-out. I'm hoping to not have to trim the webbing but that wouldn't be that bad to trim the webbing a bit.

The 5 holes at the top are to solder the wires from the enclosure. I'm trying to think of a better way to connect the wiring to the board.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
A&PGirl
post Jan 27 2013, 03:16 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 5,367

Very nice.

What kind of software are you working with?
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 27 2013, 03:38 PM
Post #20

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

I definitely want these (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post

18 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:54 AM