Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> LED Taillights, Custom Made for the 914
Spoke
post Jan 26 2013, 02:40 AM
Post #1

Jerry

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

I've wanted to convert my 914 taillights to LED for a while but never got around to it.

Finally I started working on the design of the taillights. This will be a single custom PCB for each side and will have all the LEDs and control circuits on it. One PCB will be used for both sides.

The plan is to remove the existing plastic reflector and bulb assembly and mount a custom board in its place. With proper standoffs, I should be able to mount the board using the same 2 screw holes that secure the reflector.

I'm trying to decide now how many LEDs to use for each purpose. Right now, I have 8 LEDs for the backup lights, 20 LEDs for the running/Brake lights, 24 LEDs for the turnsignals, and 4 LEDs for the side marker.

I've been observing modern cars with LED taillights and some use a few LEDs (like 8) and some a lot (+20).

I would like your opinions on how many LEDs you think would be good to use. On the board below, the LEDs are spaced about 0.7 inches apart. These will be medium brightness white LEDs. (I'll let the lenses provide the color).

The first cut at the board is shown below for the driver's side. The side marker LEDs will be right angle LEDs pointing out the side of the board. They can be seen on the extreme left side of the board.

If these work out, I could manufacture them for World members. One thing though, they won't be cheap. The LEDs are about $0.50 through Digikey and there are more than 55 LEDs on each right now. Plus there's 2 dc-dc converters for providing constant current for the tail/brake and turnsignal LEDs.

Cheers
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
18 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(300 - 319)
Spoke
post Mar 12 2014, 04:00 PM
Post #301

Jerry

QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Mar 11 2014, 04:37 PM) *

So these are brake lights only at this time? Turn signals upcoming, or can we buy two sets of these and convert all at once?

The board itself can be used as a brake or turnsignal as shown below.

I did this with the high power LED boards on my car. The brake PCB uses red LEDs whereas the turnsignal PCB uses amber LEDs to match the Euro amber turnsignal lenses. Same PCB, different LEDs. The turnsignal PCB also has side emitting LEDs to give light for the side marker.

The rev 2 5mm PCBs also have provision for side LEDs and should be a lot brighter than the side emitting LEDs I used on my car. These can be used for turnsignals too.

For Euro lens with amber turnsignal lens, I've ordered some amber 5mm LEDs in the Cree family and will build a couple of these to see how bright they are. If ok, I can offer those as well. I need to test them first.

For US lens with red turnsignal lens, red LEDs would be used for turnsignals. This would be just a build option as the bulb bases would be different than the brakes.

I want to take this a step further and make one board for both brake and turnsignal. This requires a lot of engineering to make sure it works. The existing inner housing would have to be cut out and other means of fastening the boards to be found.

The angle of the board would have to be the same as below so the brake portion would sit very deep in the housing. A divider would have to be included to keep the brake light from bleeding into the turnsignal light and visa versa. McMark is sending me a spare housing that I can experiment with.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 12 2014, 08:06 PM
Post #302

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Should I bring some cash to Hershey for a full set of euro tai lights this year?

Rich
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Mar 12 2014, 09:34 PM
Post #303

Jerry

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 12 2014, 10:06 PM) *

Should I bring some cash to Hershey for a full set of euro tai lights this year?

Rich

Quite possibly, the timing is right; will have PCBs in 2 weeks. I gotta test the amber turnsignal LEDs first.

I did the amber turnsignal for my car with the high power LEDs and initially thought they weren't bright enough so I increased the current from 35ma for the red LEDs to 75ma for the amber LEDs. Whoa, the amber LEDs are way too bright at 75ma. They're blindingly bright. 35ma may have been ok.

Got to see the 5mm amber LEDs before making them available.

I need to get a good lux meter. Anyone have a suggestion for a good, affordable lux meter?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 12 2014, 09:37 PM
Post #304

Custom Member

No kidding, there is an app for that

Go to the apple app store or the droid google play store.

rich
+Quote Post
Zimms
post Mar 13 2014, 08:31 AM
Post #305

Member No.: 5,565
Region Association: Upper MidWest

If you need another tail light housing, I think I have one I can donate to the cause. I'll check later today.
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Mar 13 2014, 03:08 PM
Post #306

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I would prefer a longer board to handle both brake, running and turn.
saw some cool ones for the Mercedes G class on wheeler dealer last night.
+Quote Post
monkeyboy
post Mar 13 2014, 03:57 PM
Post #307

Member No.: 9,147

QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 12 2014, 03:00 PM) *

QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Mar 11 2014, 04:37 PM) *

So these are brake lights only at this time? Turn signals upcoming, or can we buy two sets of these and convert all at once?

The board itself can be used as a brake or turnsignal as shown below.

I did this with the high power LED boards on my car. The brake PCB uses red LEDs whereas the turnsignal PCB uses amber LEDs to match the Euro amber turnsignal lenses. Same PCB, different LEDs. The turnsignal PCB also has side emitting LEDs to give light for the side marker.

The rev 2 5mm PCBs also have provision for side LEDs and should be a lot brighter than the side emitting LEDs I used on my car. These can be used for turnsignals too.

For Euro lens with amber turnsignal lens, I've ordered some amber 5mm LEDs in the Cree family and will build a couple of these to see how bright they are. If ok, I can offer those as well. I need to test them first.

For US lens with red turnsignal lens, red LEDs would be used for turnsignals. This would be just a build option as the bulb bases would be different than the brakes.

I want to take this a step further and make one board for both brake and turnsignal. This requires a lot of engineering to make sure it works. The existing inner housing would have to be cut out and other means of fastening the boards to be found.

The angle of the board would have to be the same as below so the brake portion would sit very deep in the housing. A divider would have to be included to keep the brake light from bleeding into the turnsignal light and visa versa. McMark is sending me a spare housing that I can experiment with.

I want a set of US Brake and turn signals, but I am happy with them just the way they are. I do not want to modify the housings or cut anything.

They honestly look great to me, and it's reversible if you every want to.
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Mar 15 2014, 07:59 AM
Post #308

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 12 2014, 10:34 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 12 2014, 10:06 PM) *

Rich

Quite possibly, the timing is right; will have PCBs in 2 weeks. I gotta test the amber turnsignal LEDs first.

I would be down for a set also! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 15 2014, 08:17 AM
Post #309

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'm in for a set.
+Quote Post
clapeza
post Mar 15 2014, 08:28 AM
Post #310

Member No.: 12,677
Region Association: South East States

I'm in for a full set, brakes and US spec turn signals, once they're available.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Mar 15 2014, 10:03 AM
Post #311

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342

You know I'm in for a set. Not sure what I was planning will work, so this is an awesome backup.

Well done!
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Mar 15 2014, 01:22 PM
Post #312

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I would like a set!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 15 2014, 01:26 PM
Post #313

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'd like a set of both. Euro & US versions. I like the separate boards for each. Thanks for doing this. Glad to see it coming to fruition (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Mar 16 2014, 07:33 PM
Post #314

Jerry

This video and pic are with the 5mm rev 1 board with the Cree LEDs. These are the LEDs which will be on the rev 2 boards. This board has 51 LEDs whereas the rev 2 boards will have 56 LEDs.

The light output is quite good with good dispersion. Like many LEDs, the light is very directional. This is why it is important for the board to be mounted 90 degrees from the centerline of the car. We want all this light pointed directly at cars behind.

The first couple of blinks are the brake lights. The last flash are the taillights. The car is about 6 feet from the garage door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gewM-W8bQ9M

Here's a pic of the taillights from behind the car. That's also an amber LED board on the left side with the LED taillight.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Mar 16 2014, 08:19 PM
Post #315

Member No.: 73

Looks great. I want a set of brakes and us spec turns signals. Happy with them just as they are as separate boards also, I don't need them on one board.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Mar 21 2014, 08:06 PM
Post #316

Jerry

Rev 2 boards have been shipped from the fab house. I should have them by midweek. Also ordered all components and empty bulb bases. Assembly should start by next weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowtorch.gif)

I rigged the 5mm rev 1 board to my 930 to see how much improvement in light output over the standard bulb. Board didn't fit so I aimed it as close as possible to the rear of the car and put the taillight lens in front of it.

Looks like a good improvement over the 1157 bulb in the 930. If you have sound on you can hear the 930 idling. Sounds much better in person. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I think I'll use the same 56 5mm LED pattern like the rev 2 boards for the 911. Gotta figure out a way to secure the board in the 911 brake housing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPmOGq8RjH8

+Quote Post
rnellums
post Mar 22 2014, 07:05 PM
Post #317

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I am in for a full US spec set!
+Quote Post
kid914
post Mar 22 2014, 08:22 PM
Post #318

ALWAYS lead...NEVER follow!!!!

Member No.: 12,811
Region Association: Canada

I must have missed the price....?
looks very tho (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Mar 23 2014, 11:16 AM
Post #319

Jerry

QUOTE(kid914 @ Mar 22 2014, 10:22 PM) *

I must have missed the price....?
looks very tho (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

$90 + shipping.

Update: more materials arrived.

BAY15D are for the brake light.
BAY15S and BAY9S for the turnsignal.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 23 2014, 01:23 PM
Post #320

Custom Member

Will I need to modify the turn signal housing?
I never heard your conclusions on that....
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 11:16 PM