Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1973 914 was/is my first car, Beginning of a restoration journey
doug_b_928
post Jan 29 2013, 11:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,382
Region Association: Canada

Hi Guys,

I'm a new member. I bought my 914, which was/is my first car, in 1985. I drove it as a summer car from 85-95. I would bet that I only put 10,000 kms on it over that time, if that. Then my education and career got in the way and it hasn't been licensed since. It was driven to the spot where it now sits (in a shed on the farm where I grew up, a couple of hours away from me) in 2001 after having not been registered since 1995. I've finally reached a point in my life where I can take time to work on cars. I started doing my own maintenance on my 928 a couple of years ago and love working on it (as long as I don't screw anything up). So, I'm just beginning but am eager to learn (yes, I can already see these coming : (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) )

I'll attach pics of the car in its current condition below. I apologize in advance for the scores of questions that I will be asking in the coming months and years. I've been reading through a number of topics and see how helpful folks are on this forum, which helps to take much of the anxiety out of taking on this project.

This is going to be a long-term project as I'm still busy with work etc. My goal for this summer is to try to get it running and get everything working. Then over the winter develop a specific plan for restoration and give'er next summer. I spoke to the previous owner recently. He has owned many 914s and couldn't recall any specifics of this car. At the time I bought it I seem to recall someone saying that it came as a 1.7 but they had put a 1.8 into it. But the PO didn't recall changing the engine. So, question #1, how can I tell if it is a numbers matching car?

The car was mices free until last winter, and then last summer when I looked at it I found a couple of nests (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . So, my first order of business in the spring will be to don a P100 respirator and clean out the mouse remnants. I'll throw out the aftermarket carpet I had put in. I've seen on this forum somewhere that there are OE looking carpet kits available. I'm pleasantly surprised by the available of parts for these cars.

Problems with the car that I recall from when I last drove it:

1. when I would drive on a dusty gravel road dust would bellow in from under the dash (maybe rust holes in the longs and heater pipes?).
2. I think the car had been hit in the left rear corner. The left rear wheel always had a slight wobble to it. Maybe needs new wheel bearing? The trunk back corners never sat perfectly flat, and the rear left fender always had an odd bubble area (filler?) by the bumper. I had it repainted and the bubble was still there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) ). Rear bumper is black, front chrome. All indications for trauma to the back.
3. At the very end of driving it, the speedo started to make a whining noise. I think the car has about 86,000 kms on it.
4. The brake pedal had lost some tension and so after applying, I would pull it back with my foot.
5. The shifter was always a little bit sloppy.
6. The windshield wipers were never very good; couldn't keep up with a strong rain (this may be normal?)
7. Every spring, after sitting all winter, something would seize in the clutch and it wouldn't work. The technique my Dad figured out was to put the car in reverse and start it up. After the car would move back a bit the clutch would come free and work fine??
8. The only thing I ever had to have done to the car was move the fuel pump to the front due to vapor lock. It never let me down after that.

Any thoughts and advice you have on starting the process of fixing her up will be most welcome. Here she is:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kirmizi
post Jan 29 2013, 11:56 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,568
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Jan 29 2013, 12:26 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

Hi Doug

First: Welcome to 914 World. This is my opinion and only my opinion: This car may very costly to get it the way you want. The body has a lot of rust and you did not show us the interior. The motor and drivetrain needs a lot of work. I am not trying to discourage because you sound really excited about working on the car but I want you to know that up front what you are facing. Just a thought, have you considering purchasing another but good running 914 and use this car for parts. You may come way out ahead and save a lot of money and heartbreak with this decision. This is my two cents.

Looking through the dust, it looks like a 1.7 but I could be wrong.

If you will look at my car (below link) you will see what I have done during the past 18 months. I have spent over $5,000 parts and labor and I had a good 914 to start with. No body work, no painting, no rebuild.

Good luck and welcome again.

Terry
+Quote Post
rgolia
post Jan 29 2013, 12:40 PM
Post #4

GeoJoe

Member No.: 11,329
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) , but it is your first car.....if the memories are there go for it...that is what I did.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 29 2013, 12:55 PM
Post #5

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Jan 29 2013, 12:56 PM
Post #6

Thanks, guys, for the welcome. It is disheartening that you think it's that bad. The resto threads I've looked at suggested to me that this one was in comparatively good shape/all there. But, I have no experience and can imagine that when it's disassembled it will be another story. What are the big costs associated with this? I'm planning to do all of the metal work myself. Yes, I am a novice welder. Just bought a MIG before Christmas and have been having fun practicing. My first project has been to refurbish my 33 year old 928 muffler; learned lots about burn through etc.

My attachment is sentimental, but budget constraints put a limit to how far sentimentality can take me.

+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Jan 29 2013, 01:06 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Doug

Please don't get discourage just because of my opinion. There may be others on this forum that will say go for it. Your welding skills will definitely be a plus. There is someone on this forum that has been working on his car with a college budget and his car was just painted and it looks great. Follow your dream and heart.

Terry
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Jan 29 2013, 01:09 PM
Post #8

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jan 29 2013, 01:26 PM) *

First: Welcome to 914 World. This is my opinion and only my opinion: This car may very costly to get it the way you want. The body has a lot of rust and you did not show us the interior. The motor and drivetrain needs a lot of work. I am not trying to discourage because you sound really excited about working on the car but I want you to know that up front what you are facing. Just a thought, have you considering purchasing another but good running 914 and use this car for parts. You may come way out ahead and save a lot of money and heartbreak with this decision. This is my two cents.

I see a crusty battery tray and some rust bubbles... Where are you seeing "a lot of rust"? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Without more/better pictures, we don't really know how bad this car is and its a little soon to be calling this car a goner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Some more pictures underneath the car will tell more of the story.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jan 29 2013, 01:32 PM
Post #9

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

Need pictures of the longs, trunks, hell hole, floor boards, etc. to see the full extent of the rust. Only then will you know what you are facing!
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Jan 29 2013, 02:14 PM
Post #10

Terry, no worries. I'm a firm believer in the value of a good dose of reality.

I have one or two pics of the interior I will search for tonight and post.

I don't have any pics of underneath. Next time I'm at the farm I'll take some pics and will post. It's definitely going to have significant rust as it's never been touched under there.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jan 29 2013, 02:30 PM
Post #11

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

Look for the thread on my car (started by scottyb) and you can see how bad "typical" rust can actually get. More cars on this site than we would like admit have similar issues...they just don't know it.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Jan 29 2013, 04:44 PM
Post #12

Here are all of the additional pics that I have of its current condition. Now I'm really curious to see what it's like underneath. I won't take pics of the floor boards until I clean out the interior, but that won't happen until the spring; not looking forward to that job. You can see in the pics how the mices, which I hate to pieces, have brought in kernels of wheat to munch on, and undoubtedly left lots of remnants behind. The sheets of fabric softener were intended to keep them out. The glove box is in good shape, just opened. It always had that GM red light in the back pad. Can't wait to put a proper one in there.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Jan 29 2013, 05:51 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

The interior does not look bad at all! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Those damn rats can chew wires too! It is amazing where they build nests.
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Jan 29 2013, 06:13 PM
Post #14

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Did you relocate the fuse box to the front trunk so you wouldn't keep kicking the fuses out of it or was that done by someone else? (or is that just a normal second fuse box arrangement that I cannot remember since I haven't seen my car bone stock since 2008)
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Jan 29 2013, 06:14 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Sentimentality plays a big part in a lot of these cars. My '71 was my first car and I've had it since new so it will always stay in the family. I have two boys who have inherited the "car" gene from me and their grandfather ( a previous 914 944 owner) so I'm in the process of restoring a '73 2.0 I've known since 1974 since it was owned by one of my best friends growing up. We autocrossed against each other throughout the '70's. When he died of a rare illness, his widow gave me the car to bring it back to life like he had wanted.
Spent a lot more than the car will ever be worth but it's worth it to us, and it will look amazing when done.

The day we brought it home from the body shop. Have a set of Fuchs from Weidmans waiting...Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jgilliam914
post Jan 29 2013, 06:17 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Welcome Doug!
Do not be discouraged at all. Take your time and do it when you have the time and money! I still have my second car and my first Porsche. 32 years I think? You may find the task at hand daunting at times. You may never run out of things to do to the car but if you can get it to run then drive thats a start. Enjoy it. You have something that many of us do not have, we just dream of owning our first car.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 29 2013, 06:21 PM
Post #17

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Two great p-cars - the 914 & 914+14! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Jan 29 2013, 07:59 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jan 29 2013, 05:51 PM) *

The interior does not look bad at all! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Those damn rats can chew wires too! It is amazing where they build nests.

I hope it will clean up nicely. The dash is cracked by the ash tray, the seat has a bad seam, and the driver's window handle needs the black plastic trim piece. I hope the mice haven't done more damage this winter. The wiring scares me more than the rust. I don't know much about electrical and I know mice like to chew on wires (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Jan 29 2013, 08:01 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(Madswede @ Jan 29 2013, 06:13 PM) *

Did you relocate the fuse box to the front trunk so you wouldn't keep kicking the fuses out of it or was that done by someone else? (or is that just a normal second fuse box arrangement that I cannot remember since I haven't seen my car bone stock since 2008)

No, the fuse box came like that. I never had to change a fuse in the car. I always wondered why they did that. Was it a common problem in the stock location?
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 29 2013, 08:13 PM
Post #20

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

It becomes an addiction!

Realistically, the rust you can see is only 20-30% of what is there. You will find the underside of all the painted panels showing bubbles to be much worse than they appear. This does not mean it cannot be fixed. It just means you have much more rust repair than you see.

In my opinion, fixing it yourself is the only economical way to do it. At a glance, from your pictures, I would expect to pay a shop $10k in labor and parts to fix that car. Then you would still have to paint it (California prices). I may be cheaper to find a nice California or Arizona roller and import is to Canada. Only you can decide what your time and budget will allow.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:15 PM