Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1973 914 was/is my first car, Beginning of a restoration journey
doug_b_928
post Jan 29 2013, 08:48 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,382
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 29 2013, 08:13 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

It becomes an addiction!

Realistically, the rust you can see is only 20-30% of what is there. You will find the underside of all the painted panels showing bubbles to be much worse than they appear. This does not mean it cannot be fixed. It just means you have much more rust repair than you see.

In my opinion, fixing it yourself is the only economical way to do it. At a glance, from your pictures, I would expect to pay a shop $10k in labor and parts to fix that car. Then you would still have to paint it (California prices). I may be cheaper to find a nice California or Arizona roller and import is to Canada. Only you can decide what your time and budget will allow.

Yeah, paying a shop to do the work is out of the question for me. And, I really want the experience of doing it myself. I never thought I'd take a car apart, fix it, and (hopefully) put it back together. I'm sure there will be lots of frustration, but it sounds like fun to me.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Jan 29 2013, 08:48 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Jan 29 2013, 09:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Madswede @ Jan 29 2013, 06:13 PM) *

Did you relocate the fuse box to the front trunk so you wouldn't keep kicking the fuses out of it or was that done by someone else? (or is that just a normal second fuse box arrangement that I cannot remember since I haven't seen my car bone stock since 2008)

No, the fuse box came like that. I never had to change a fuse in the car. I always wondered why they did that. Was it a common problem in the stock location?

The only problem with the original location is it was easy to dislodge a fuse when you got in the 914. The plastic fuse cover usually broke and would not stay on.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Jan 29 2013, 10:46 PM
Post #23

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jan 29 2013, 08:48 PM) *

QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Jan 29 2013, 09:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Madswede @ Jan 29 2013, 06:13 PM) *

Did you relocate the fuse box to the front trunk so you wouldn't keep kicking the fuses out of it or was that done by someone else? (or is that just a normal second fuse box arrangement that I cannot remember since I haven't seen my car bone stock since 2008)

No, the fuse box came like that. I never had to change a fuse in the car. I always wondered why they did that. Was it a common problem in the stock location?

The only problem with the original location is it was easy to dislodge a fuse when you got in the 914. The plastic fuse cover usually broke and would not stay on.

Interesting, thanks. Can you tell by the pic if the fuse box that's bolted to the fender well is the original one? There's also a second one that cannot be, I think it has three fuses, and it's just a piece of painted plywood, IIRC.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 30 2013, 09:24 AM
Post #24

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I don't think your upside down. The rusted front lid can be changed. There are lots guys on the forum with wiring harnesses they can toss in a box and ship to you. There are sources for rust repair panels. If I were you I would get a bunch of good storage bins and start taking the car apart in preperation for repair. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Jan 30 2013, 09:48 AM
Post #25

Thanks, Rick, for your encouragement, and thanks all for the stories of the role of sentimentality in some of these cars.

Rick, are you saying that it's better to just find a replacement hood than to fix the rust in the existing one?
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Jan 30 2013, 09:55 AM
Post #26

Something I've been wondering about as I read through resto threads concerns the welding warping the chassis and then door gaps changing. It seems some guys use a rotisserie, some use jack stands, and some are able to leave the car loaded on its suspension. If one does the latter, does one still need to use some kind of bracing or does having the car sitting on its wheels keep it in shape? Is it possible to do all of the metal work with the car on its wheels, and then remove the suspension components?
+Quote Post
Jgilliam914
post Jan 30 2013, 09:56 AM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Rick, are you saying that it's better to just find a replacement hood than to fix the rust in the existing one?

Hell yes!!!!
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Jan 30 2013, 10:11 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Jan 30 2013, 10:55 AM) *

Something I've been wondering about as I read through resto threads concerns the welding warping the chassis and then door gaps changing. It seems some guys use a rotisserie, some use jack stands, and some are able to leave the car loaded on its suspension. If one does the latter, does one still need to use some kind of bracing or does having the car sitting on its wheels keep it in shape? Is it possible to do all of the metal work with the car on its wheels, and then remove the suspension components?

Doug:

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

I completely understand the sentimental attachment to your car. A lot of patience and a decent amount of ca$h can bring it back to its former glory. Multiple times I thought about bailing out and buying a rust free tub, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

If there is a lot of rust on key structural areas (longs, etc) you absolutely want to brace the car to keep the door gaps right. I don't think it matters much whether its on a rotisserie, jack stands or on wheels.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Bob

+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Jan 30 2013, 04:40 PM
Post #29

Are there instructions for how to properly brace a 914? Also, are there instructions for how to build a car dolly that would allow metal work but also support the tub in the correct position?
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Jan 30 2013, 06:14 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

There are tons of build and restoration threads here. Many that were in much worse condition then your car. I say go for it! Especially since it was your first car. Make it the way you had always dreamed. It will be worth about 8-10K all cleaned up and running. Priceless to you at that point.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jan 30 2013, 07:19 PM
Post #31

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Hi Doug. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Get it running and drive it a few times before you tear it down too far. Once you get hooked again, well... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Jan 30 2013, 11:17 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 30 2013, 07:19 PM) *

Hi Doug. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Get it running and drive it a few times before you tear it down too far. Once you get hooked again, well... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

I think that's a good plan. I'd like to know everything works before disassembling it so that it will (maybe) be less frustrating when putting it back together. I.e., knowing that it will work and I've just put something back incorrectly.
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Jan 31 2013, 04:55 PM
Post #33

QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Jan 30 2013, 05:40 PM) *

Are there instructions for how to properly brace a 914? Also, are there instructions for how to build a car dolly that would allow metal work but also support the tub in the correct position?

Doug:

I don't know if anyone has written up formal instructions, but most restoration build threads on this site will show some type of body bracing to give you some ideas.

I agree with getting it running before teardown...that way, you will have a better idea of additional parts you need for re-assembly.

Bob
+Quote Post
Krank
post Feb 10 2013, 07:35 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 10,922

Hi Doug,

Got your PM. I plan on putting insurance on the silver '74 this summer. This is the car I bought in Muskegeon, Michigan and drove home. It is an unmolested 914 so you can study where everything really belongs. The only thing out of place is the battery. The PO (unannounced) re-located the battery to the rear trunk as the original battery shelf had failed. After the weather turns nice we can get together for a ride. Drop me a note after the street cleaners have been out and remind me, (age = high - memory = low).

Then you can have a look at my black one that is still on the rotissere. You can then see an example of a worst case (possibly) starting point you might be looking at. There are, like it has been said, lots of examples of rebuilds with tons of information and encouragement here on the world. Kudos to all these people here. I have had many different cars over the years and I don't think there are that many imports that someone is actually reproducing new body parts.

Jim
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Feb 10 2013, 07:50 PM
Post #35

That would be terrific, Jim! Great that you have one that is unmolested. What motor is in the 74? I've never seen a car on a rotisserie in real life; that will be cool! I will PM you in the spring (my memory is not what it used to be either, but this I won't forget (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ).
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Mar 31 2013, 08:23 PM
Post #36

For Easter weekend I went to the farm to visit my family and did a little work on the 914. I'd like to say I was pleasantly surprised, but I was unpleasantly shocked by the condition of the car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) . I began by removing the rocker panels. The body shop had riveted them at the door sill so I had to take them off with a hammer and screw driver. I'd never seen the longs, and they are a disaster. Filled with mouse nests (you can spot one in one of the pics (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif). I got as much out as I could reach, but I'm sure there is much more in there. I also removed as much of the mouse remnants as I could from the interior and removed the carpet and vinyl that was covering the structural members in the floor pan area. I didn't get a chance to take a screwdriver to the floors and inner longs. The inner longs looked pretty good, but the screwdriver test will tell the tale. The doors open and close as well as they ever did, which is not perfectly but they do work.

Below are pictures that are not for the faint of heart. I'm hoping that the gurus here will study them and give me their opinion on the feasibility of fixing her up. I know I can get new sheet metal from RD for the longs etc., but I'm worried that the metal is rotten where I'd be welding the new panels to. Is the general rule, if it doesn't punch through with a good tap from a flat head screwdriver then the metal in that spot is probably okay?

Here are the pics of the brutality:

Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[attachmentid=378
191]Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[attachmentid
=378199]Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[attachme
ntid=378207]Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[atta
chmentid=378211]Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[
attachmentid=378216]Attached ImageAttached Image[attachmentid=3782
19]Attached ImageAttached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Mar 31 2013, 08:54 PM
Post #37

Doug:

Sorry to see these pics. It looks at least as bad as the train wreck I bought about 4 years ago. I have a build thred on this site so you will get an idea of what you are in for - mouse nests & all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

There is hope...and I do not mean to discourage you...quite the contrary, as I like seeing teeners come back to life. If you are looking for a project, you got it! If you are looking for a teener to drive and enjoy with minimal work, I would bail out and look elsewhere.

It's becomes all about sentimental value for you. This project will try your patience and put a strain on your wallet.

Good luck with your decisions & keep us posted. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Bob
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Mar 31 2013, 09:08 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Mar 31 2013, 09:54 PM) *

Doug:

Sorry to see these pics. It looks at least as bad as the train wreck I bought about 4 years ago. I have a build thred on this site so you will get an idea of what you are in for - mouse nests & all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

There is hope...and I do not mean to discourage you...quite the contrary, as I like seeing teeners come back to life. If you are looking for a project, you got it! If you are looking for a teener to drive and enjoy with minimal work, I would bail out and look elsewhere.

It's becomes all about sentimental value for you. This project will try your patience and put a strain on your wallet.

Good luck with your decisions & keep us posted. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I did a scan of the build thread page and didn't see one with your name as the initial poster. Can you please let me know the title or provide a link? I'd like to check it out.
+Quote Post
jdlmodelt
post Mar 31 2013, 10:00 PM
Post #39

James D. Lane

Member No.: 15,210
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have to think
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Jan 29 2013, 01:09 PM) *

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jan 29 2013, 01:26 PM) *

First: Welcome to x19 World. This is my opinion and only my opinion: This car may very costly to get it the way you want. The body has a lot of rust and you did not show us the interior. The motor and drivetrain needs a lot of work. I am not trying to discourage because you sound really excited about working on the car but I want you to know that up front what you are facing. Just a thought, have you considering purchasing another but good running x19 and use this car for parts. You may come way out ahead and save a lot of money and heartbreak with this decision. This is my two
cents.

I see a crusty battery tray and some rust bubbles... Where are you seeing "a lot of rust"? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Without more/better pictures, we don't really know how bad this car is and its a little soon to be calling this car a goner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Some more pictures underneath the car will tell more of the story.

Here, here! With all the amazing rebuilds on here. I can't believe there could be a single naysayer on this site. Take this car and kick some a55! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) the discuragers must have weak stomachs when it comes to rust. Build your dream man!
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Mar 31 2013, 10:15 PM
Post #40

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Lots of rust repair/repalcement panels to save this one. Probably best as a rotisserie candidate, and would require sentimental value to justify.

Whats this engine support bar? Not stock.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:10 PM