Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1973 914 was/is my first car, Beginning of a restoration journey
saigon71
post Apr 1 2013, 05:20 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Mar 31 2013, 11:08 PM) *

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Mar 31 2013, 09:54 PM) *

Doug:

Sorry to see these pics. It looks at least as bad as the train wreck I bought about 4 years ago. I have a build thred on this site so you will get an idea of what you are in for - mouse nests & all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

There is hope...and I do not mean to discourage you...quite the contrary, as I like seeing teeners come back to life. If you are looking for a project, you got it! If you are looking for a teener to drive and enjoy with minimal work, I would bail out and look elsewhere.

It's becomes all about sentimental value for you. This project will try your patience and put a strain on your wallet.

Good luck with your decisions & keep us posted. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I did a scan of the build thread page and didn't see one with your name as the initial poster. Can you please let me know the title or provide a link? I'd like to check it out.

Here is a link to my build thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=123957&hl=

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Apr 1 2013, 07:51 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 15,382
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 31 2013, 11:15 PM) *

Lots of rust repair/repalcement panels to save this one. Probably best as a rotisserie candidate, and would require sentimental value to justify.

Whats this engine support bar? Not stock.

Hmmm...what you see is how it came when I bought it in 85. In fact, I suspect the longs were already rusty back then.

Does anyone know if these empty connectors are the ones for the additional gauge cluster?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Apr 1 2013, 10:37 AM
Post #43

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Apr 1 2013, 09:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 31 2013, 11:15 PM) *

Lots of rust repair/repalcement panels to save this one. Probably best as a rotisserie candidate, and would require sentimental value to justify.

Whats this engine support bar? Not stock.

Hmmm...what you see is how it came when I bought it in 85. In fact, I suspect the longs were already rusty back then.

Does anyone know if these empty connectors are the ones for the additional gauge cluster?

Attached Image

Those connections are for the center console gauges. All 914s are pre-wired to that point.

Good luck with this car, It will be a long road, but just the journey will be worth it.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Apr 1 2013, 11:07 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 11,426
Region Association: None

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Apr 1 2013, 03:20 AM) *

QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Mar 31 2013, 11:08 PM) *

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Mar 31 2013, 09:54 PM) *

Doug:

Sorry to see these pics. It looks at least as bad as the train wreck I bought about 4 years ago. I have a build thred on this site so you will get an idea of what you are in for - mouse nests & all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

There is hope...and I do not mean to discourage you...quite the contrary, as I like seeing teeners come back to life. If you are looking for a project, you got it! If you are looking for a teener to drive and enjoy with minimal work, I would bail out and look elsewhere.

It's becomes all about sentimental value for you. This project will try your patience and put a strain on your wallet.

Good luck with your decisions & keep us posted. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I did a scan of the build thread page and didn't see one with your name as the initial poster. Can you please let me know the title or provide a link? I'd like to check it out.

Here is a link to my build thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=123957&hl=

Bob,
I checked out some of your thread, amazing work. If more had your skill a lot of these teeners would be saved instead of scrapped.

Dave
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Apr 1 2013, 11:48 AM
Post #45

I'll be perusing Bob's thread as soon as I get a chance.

In the pic above of the right rear trailing arm, is that a rust hole or an intentional drainage hole?
+Quote Post
SUNAB914
post Apr 1 2013, 02:12 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 9,880
Region Association: South East States

Looks like a pipe?
OOCH!
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Apr 1 2013, 04:42 PM
Post #47

QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Apr 1 2013, 03:12 PM) *

Looks like a pipe?
OOCH!

Are you referring to the engine mounting bar?
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 1 2013, 08:10 PM
Post #48

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Yes. That's not stock from any year 9 1 4 (trying to bypass the April Fools Filter) and probably is not good news...

--DD
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Apr 1 2013, 08:18 PM
Post #49

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 1 2013, 09:10 PM) *

Yes. That's not stock from any year 9 1 4 (trying to bypass the April Fools Filter) and probably is not good news...

--DD

Yikes! What does that imply? The engine looks to me to be a stock 1.7L.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Apr 2 2013, 09:20 PM
Post #50

I tried to locate the engine numbers when I was there but I didn't see them. I was in a rush to try to get as much mouse feces out before I had to leave. I'm curious, what is supposed to connect to the hole on the right side of the engine tin that is plugged with foam (circled in red in the pic below).

Attached Image

Also, is the hole in the trailing arm (also circled in the pic below) supposed to be there?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Apr 3 2013, 08:44 AM
Post #51

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The hole in the back of the trailing arm should be there, although it should be round (probably covered with dirt). The hole plugged with foam is for a J-pipe from the heat exchangers, for heating the interior. I believe on 73's there should be a tube running from a fan on the driver's side to that pipe for heat flow while at low rev's.

The pipe as an engine mount bar just implies a poor repair or replacement in the past IMO. It might be less robust than a stock bar though.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Apr 3 2013, 09:03 AM
Post #52

Thanks very much for your response to my questions. It's nice to know there's one hole on the car that is supposed to be there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif).

Below are the additional pics I took of the engine. There is a blower fan that is connected to a hose that goes to the tins on the left side. So, I guess I'll have to look and see if there is an opening on that blower housing for another connection.

From looking at the pics, can anyone say for sure that this is a 914 engine (and not one from a Bus)? When I found out that the engine support bar was incorrect I became more concerned that it's not even a correct 914 block. Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[attachmentid=378
613]Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[attachmentid
=378617]

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Apr 3 2013, 09:09 AM
Post #53

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Bus heads would not have the exhaust ports on the bottom of the engine, so they are at least 914 heads. You could check the case serial number to be sure it matches up, though I am not sure what the serial should be for a 1.7. Everything attached to the engine looks correct for a 73 1.7 to my eye.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 3 2013, 03:05 PM
Post #54

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

The 1972+ Buses used Type IV engines with the exhaust ports on the bottom of the heads. The earlier ones had Type-I style heads with the exhaust ports on the front and back of the heads.

Check for a dipstick. I didn't notice it in any of the pics, but I didn't see a very clear shot of where it should be, either. It should be just to the left of the oil filler. The buses (and some of the 411/412 cars) had the dipstick inside a funnel coming out of the left-front corner at the bottom of the engine. (Right-rear as it was installed in the Bus/411/412.) Easy to block off the funnel and add the oil filler from a 914, but not as easy to add the dipstick.

An engine number in front of the oil filler (on a 1.7 or 1.8) would make this one from a VW application as well.

The 73-74 cars had a heater blower with a single outlet. The outlet was connected to the driver's side only; the passenger's side J-tube was capped with a plastic cap. The splitter from the 75-76 heater blowers can be fitted to an earlier blower, allowing you to hook up both sides, but it isn't hugely necessary.

--DD
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Apr 3 2013, 06:44 PM
Post #55

Excellent information guys, thank you!

IIRC, the dip stick is just to the left of the oil filler. I checked my pics to see if I have a better one, but don't. Though, I think it can barely be spotted in the circle in the pic below (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Sep 8 2013, 10:54 AM
Post #56

Yesterday I removed the fuel pump and tank for the first time. The pump was re-located to under the tank above the gravel guard. It actually fits quite well there. The tank looks to be in good shape. I'll clean and re-seal it next spring.

A couple of questions:

1. I took some pics and noticed in one that a suspension plate looks a little funny. Is the plate in the pic below separating, or is it supposed to look like that? This is the rear right side and the car is jacked up from the front right in this picture.

Attached Image

2. What is the ribbed black plastic piping in the pic below for? It wasn't attached to anything.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Sep 8 2013, 11:32 AM
Post #57

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

1. What you're looking at are stacked shims between the suspension console mount and the trailing arm. These are used to set the rear camber correctly.

2. The black ribbed piping is the drain hose for the fresh air box that sits under the cowl.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Sep 8 2013, 05:19 PM
Post #58

Excellent info, thanks Doug!
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 8 2013, 06:00 PM
Post #59

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Sep 8 2013, 10:32 AM) *
1. What you're looking at are stacked shims between the suspension console mount and the trailing arm. These are used to set the rear camber correctly.

And there appear to be way too many of them.

This indicates either a bent trailing arm or worse, a bent chassis.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Sep 8 2013, 06:11 PM
Post #60

My guess is a bent chassis. The right rear is about 1/2-3/4" higher than the left at the tail light. I think the car was hit on the left side at some point. The left rear wheel wobbles.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:13 PM