Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Aluminum Taco Plate and Tuna Can Group Buy, CLOSED
02loftsmoor
post Apr 5 2013, 01:05 PM
Post #141

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,243
Region Association: Southwest Region

The new Taco plate and oil sump came today Thank you Racer Chris

WES (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pirate.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NORD
post Apr 5 2013, 03:54 PM
Post #142

Member No.: 2,756
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Recieved Tuna Can and gaskets today. Thanks Chris
+Quote Post
Harpo
post Apr 5 2013, 03:57 PM
Post #143

Member No.: 13,469
Region Association: None

I got mine too. Thanks Chris & Neil
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 5 2013, 05:48 PM
Post #144

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

The Postman Always Rings Twice, but he only left one package here today. However, there are Tacos and Tunas (as ordered) in it for the following GB participants:

dfelz
Jim Hoyland
LotusJoe
KaptKaos
Pete000
Peterson ...

... and me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Let me know if you guys want to pick them up now, or grab them at the G&R (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
post Apr 5 2013, 07:02 PM
Post #145

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245

Mine arrived today
+Quote Post
Valy
post Apr 5 2013, 07:49 PM
Post #146

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

Got mine too but I think we have 3 issues:

1. The hole in the oil screen base needs to be wider for the adapter bolt to pass through - not a big issue, I'll just drill it bigger each time I change the screen.

2. The oil pickup tube extender is a bit too short. The tuna can depth extension is 28.5mm and there is an additional 1mm gasket (29.5mm total). The tube extender is 30.2mm in length so it only overlaps for 0.7mm with the tube. Practically, the oil-screen spring is the only thing keeping it in place. With a bit of vibration, it will get out and the pump will get oil from above the screen and tuna-can, making the upgrade void.

3. The pickup extension doesn't seal on the pickup tube. This means that the oil pump will suck oil/air from above the upper edge of the adapter. This actually makes the solution worst than the original since the oil level must be above the original pickup tube height minus the overlap. Quite the opposite to the purpose of the tuna can.

I'm open to solutions here. I would opt for a longer tube extender with some kind of sealant between the pickup and the extender but maybe someone has a better idea.
+Quote Post
post Apr 5 2013, 08:25 PM
Post #147

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Valy @ Apr 5 2013, 06:49 PM) *

1. The hole in the oil screen base needs to be wider for the adapter bolt to pass through - not a big issue, I'll just drill it bigger each time I change the screen.

2. The oil pickup tube extender is a bit too short. The tuna can depth extension is 28.5mm and there is an additional 1mm gasket (29.5mm total). The tube extender is 30.2mm in length so it only overlaps for 0.7mm with the tube. Practically, the oil-screen spring is the only thing keeping it in place. With a bit of vibration, it will get out and the pump will get oil from above the screen and tuna-can, making the upgrade void.

3. The pickup extension doesn't seal on the pickup tube. This means that the oil pump will suck oil/air from above the upper edge of the adapter. This actually makes the solution worst than the original since the oil level must be above the original pickup tube height minus the overlap. Quite the opposite to the purpose of the tuna can.

I'm open to solutions here. I would opt for a longer tube extender with some kind of sealant between the pickup and the extender but maybe someone has a better idea.

Thanks for looking it over, I just tossed it in a bin for future use.

Chris, any suggestions?
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Apr 6 2013, 10:29 AM
Post #148

Drive Fast and Take Chances

Member No.: 12,156

Got mine yesterday as well. Thanks to Euro, Chris and jonesy for setting this up and providing great parts!

Thomas
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Apr 6 2013, 11:01 AM
Post #149

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Thanks Chris and all involved,,,, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
02loftsmoor
post Apr 6 2013, 11:12 AM
Post #150

Member No.: 13,243
Region Association: Southwest Region

can you draw this out or put some shots together, maybe we could have the manufacture step up.

Wes

QUOTE(Valy @ Apr 5 2013, 08:49 PM) *

+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Apr 6 2013, 01:25 PM
Post #151

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(396 @ Apr 5 2013, 09:25 PM) *

Chris, any suggestions?

I only took a quick look at the parts fitment with the strainer but I didn't get the sense that the extension sleeve was too short or that it could suck air from the slip joint at the top.
The sleeve fit on the pickup tube I checked was precise - I could move it by hand but not that easily.

I have a fresh engine nearly ready to take off the assembly stand that I can do a final assembly on and check for proper clearances.
I'll get some pictures and measurements for reference.
I'll also do a pressure test on the pickup tube to see if leakage is a possible issue.
Some kind of sealant could be used if there is slight leakage.

If one does not use a strainer screen I think the extension should be secured at a carefully set height off the bottom cover plate.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 6 2013, 02:27 PM
Post #152

QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Apr 6 2013, 08:29 AM) *
Got mine yesterday as well. Thanks to Euro, Chris and jonesy for setting this up and providing great parts!

Thomas
Hey, thanks to all of you guys as well. Iffin it weren't for you guys, we wouldn't have achieved the spectacular pricing we received.

Thank you also, Neil, for offering the GB, and a special thanks goes to Chris for nailing down the logistics and getting the products delivered (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Valy
post Apr 6 2013, 04:08 PM
Post #153

Here is the drawing with with two mounting options. Each has it own drawbacks as described in my previous post.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Apr 6 2013, 05:44 PM
Post #154

Member No.: 13,549

I received mine yesterday! The parts look great!

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 1 2013, 08:49 AM) *

The enrollment period is closed .

Here's the list of people who enrolled in euro911's Original Group Buy Thread, with your required payment amount shown.

................................Taco.........Tuna.......Color..........Imported
Customer..................Plate.........Can..........................Price...........Paid
pete000....................0..............1..............S...............$65.53..........Y
O396.........................0..............1..............S...............$65.53.........Y
r3dplanet..................1..............1..............S.............$111.50..........Y
KaptKaos..................1..............1..............S..............$111.50.........Y
Lonewolfe.................1..............1..............S..............$111.50.........Y
sportlicherFahrer......1..............1..............Bk.............$111.50.........Y
no1uno.....................1..............2..............S...............$177.02.........Y
914four.....................1...............1..............S..............$111.50.........Y
Racer Chris...............0...............4..............S..............$262.11........Y
914_teener...............1..............1..............S..............$111.50.........out
StratPlayer................1..............1...............S.............$111.50..........Y
Valy..........................0..............1...............S...............$65.53..........Y
michael7810.............1..............1...............S..............$111.50..........Y
arty914.....................0..............1...............S...............$65.53.........out
Rleog........................1..............1...............S..............$111.50.........Y
Kansas 914..............1..............1...............S..............$111.50..........Y
wndsnd....................1...............1...............S.............$111.50..........Y
02loftsmoor..............1...............1..............S..............$111.50.........Y
tscrihfield..................1...............1..............Bk............$111.50..........Y
LotusJoe....................0...............2..............S...............$131.06..........Y
Riceneck...................1...............1..............S..............$111.50..........Y
cork..........................1...............1..............S..............$111.50.........Y
rdauenhauer............1...............1..............S..............$111.50..........Y
Dasnowman.............1...............1..............S..............$111.50..........Y
Kreiger......................0...............1..............S...............$65.53.........Y
dfelz..........................0...............1..............S...............$65.53.........Y
Jmedeiros..................2...............2..............S..............$222.99.........Y
flash914....................1................1..............S.............$111.50..........Y
toadman...................1................1..............S..............$111.50.........Y
NORD........................0................1..............S...............$65.53.........Y
bozo914...................1................1.............Bk.............$111.50..........Y
914bry......................1................1.............S..............$111.50..........Y
zixxv6.......................1................1.............S..............$111.50.........Y
John Jentz................0................1..............S...............$65.53..........Y
Harpo.......................1...............1.............Bk.............$111.50..........Y
clapeza.....................1...............0..............S...............$45.97..........Y
Rob914.....................0...............1..............S...............$65.53..........Y
timothy_nd28...........1...............0...............S..............$45.97.........Y
pnewman.................0...............1...............S..............$65.53..........Y

+Quote Post
post Apr 6 2013, 06:27 PM
Post #155

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Valy @ Apr 6 2013, 03:08 PM) *

Here is the drawing with with two mounting options. Each has it own drawbacks as described in my previous post.

Attached Image

I'm no rocket scientist,but I perfer the first option. Chris, can way you can fab an 'extension' for the existing oil pick-up?.....maybe on the lines where one has to 'heat' the extension on the tube and let the extension shrink to fit.... sorry as there's another term for this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Valy..many thanks for the drawing and noticing the "potential" concerns.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 6 2013, 06:49 PM
Post #156

I haven't unwrapped my stuff yet, so I don't have a 'fix' to report.

The other style of tuna can I have has an internal o-ring to seal the extension tube against the original pick up tube, and it slides up onto the original tube more than 0.7mm.

Are you installing the sump with the OEM oil strainer screen, Val?

Maybe Neil needs to change the design of the extension tube to allow for more original tube coverage? ... and a sealing ring? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Valy
post Apr 6 2013, 07:07 PM
Post #157

I want to use the oil screen. I'll have to drill a bigger hole or maybe I'll extend the pickup bolt by 30mm so I can use the original nut.
The new nut doesn't seal on the screen bottom like the original so dirt from the bottom can be sucked back in the oil pump. That's an other issue with this but I think that the rod extension should be the easy part.

BTW, the added oil capacity is 190cc or 6.5oz.
+Quote Post
jonesy
post Apr 7 2013, 07:53 AM
Post #158

Member No.: 15,293

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 6 2013, 11:25 AM) *

Chris, any suggestions?

I only took a quick look at the parts fitment with the strainer but I didn't get the sense that the extension sleeve was too short or that it could suck air from the slip joint at the top.
The sleeve fit on the pickup tube I checked was precise - I could move it by hand but not that easily.

I have a fresh engine nearly ready to take off the assembly stand that I can do a final assembly on and check for proper clearances.
I'll also do a pressure test on the pickup tube to see if leakage is a possible issue.

If one does not use a strainer screen I think the extension should be secured at a carefully set height off the bottom cover plate.

I'm glad to hear some of you are happy with your parts, and really sorry to hear that some of you are not.

Hopefully I can explain, and give some peace of mind to those with concerns.

The oil pickup tube extender doesn't need to go to the bottom of the tuna can, it should have 5-6 mm between the bottom of the sump and the oil pickup tube.

So you can place the new oil pickup tube 5-6mm on the original tube (with some fluid gasket, like Loctite 755 - for extra sealing if you prefer) you may also wish to put a spot of weld on the tube.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Neil (Jonesy)
+Quote Post
flash914
post Apr 7 2013, 06:16 PM
Post #159

Member No.: 12,554

Is the flang supost to sit on top of the screen I'm not sure what I am looking at yet but am thinking of making a longer tube and brasing it to my pick up since my engine is in pieces Gordon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Valy
post Apr 8 2013, 05:27 PM
Post #160

QUOTE(jonesy @ Apr 7 2013, 06:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 6 2013, 11:25 AM) *

Chris, any suggestions?

I'm glad to hear some of you are happy with your parts, and really sorry to hear that some of you are not.

Hopefully I can explain, and give some peace of mind to those with concerns.

The oil pickup tube extender doesn't need to go to the bottom of the tuna can, it should have 5-6 mm between the bottom of the sump and the oil pickup tube.

So you can place the new oil pickup tube 5-6mm on the original tube (with some fluid gasket, like Loctite 755 - for extra sealing if you prefer) you may also wish to put a spot of weld on the tube.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Neil (Jonesy)

Neil,

The pickup tube extender is too short to have only 5-6mm to the bottom of the sump like the original pickup did. The tuna can takes that bottom 30mm lower and the tube extension is 30mm total length so any overlap with the old tube will bring the oil pickup point higher.

Did you intend to mount the tube extension with the longer side up or down (see the 2 drawings I posted earlier)?

Also, how long id the thread in the new special nut you supplied? Is it only few mm near the edge or does it go deeper?

Thanks.
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 07:01 PM