Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel pump on 1.8, Will gas run free if I pull outlet hose?
qa1142
post Nov 13 2004, 11:12 AM
Post #1

Whiplash

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,140

So fuel pump is mounted by steering rack and I need to get the last ~ 5 gallons out.

If I drop the pump and disconect the outlet hose, till it dump on me? or will I have time to hook up a hose?

I want to just turn on the pump and pump it into my 5 gal gas can(s).

thoughts.

This is a single inlet, single outlet pump.

I could also tap in back by engine, fuel filter, fuel injector loop, fuel presure tap, etc.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Nov 13 2004, 11:22 AM
Post #2

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

So, using vise grips, pinch the outlet line of the tank closed, remove the pump and let it drain into a container.

Otherwise, connect power to the pump and put the pressure hose in the engine compartment in a container and pump away. The problem here is possibility of sucking the crap that is in the bottom of the tank when it starts to run dry.
+Quote Post
qa1142
post Nov 13 2004, 11:27 AM
Post #3

Whiplash

Member No.: 2,140

Good point, had not thought about the crap. I don't want to run it through my pump.

letting it run out with gravity is likely best. Any idea what size line that is?
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Nov 13 2004, 11:36 AM
Post #4

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

7 mm high pressure hose. 5/16" if they americanized it.
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Nov 13 2004, 01:06 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 366

Word from the wiser. Do the gas tank draining outside, not in the garage. Happened with a friend, car on stands up in the air, he is removing the line, I am above, and the line cracks, or comes off, at any rate he could not stop the flow very easy, he was getting covered in gas trying to stop it, he had too, seeing as there was gallons left, and becuase we are in attached garage at his mother inlaws house, she has three gas water heaters running at floor level in the garage. Gas gushing out, puddle rapidly expanding, big door is open, but car is on stands, can't push it out I think the front wheels were off also. I remember having to locate the gas shut off on each to kill the pilotlights, as he got the flow stopped. Must have had a 15 fooot dia pool of gas on the floor, yikes!!!!!

So do it outside. If the fumes had hit the pilot, he would have been toast,, like better off dead toast laying in the stuff.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 06:31 AM