Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Boxster advice?, 2000 S
thomasotten
post Feb 7 2013, 08:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,349

Hello guys,

I have the opportunity to buy a 2000 Boxster S for a pretty good price. It has about 90,000 miles on it, and seems in pretty good shape. Since 914 runs in my blood, I come here for advice. I did some reading on the early models, they seem to have engine problems. I am not sure if the S model has these or not. But any tips of advice would be appreciated with this model of car.

Thanks,

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Feb 7 2013, 08:13 AM
Post #2

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(thomasotten @ Feb 7 2013, 09:08 AM) *

Hello guys,

I have the opportunity to buy a 2000 Boxster S for a pretty good price. It has about 90,000 miles on it, and seems in pretty good shape. Since 914 runs in my blood, I come here for advice. I did some reading on the early models, they seem to have engine problems. I am not sure if the S model has these or not. But any tips of advice would be appreciated with this model of car.

Thanks,

All Boxster and 996/997 engines pre 2009 have IMS and RMS issues.

Do some quick research on rennlist.com and other forums and you will get all the information you can stand.

In the case of these engines, high mileage is a good sign. The current issue of Excellence has an article on under $15000 cars and the Boxster S (and the issues) is discussed extensively. Check it out
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 7 2013, 08:49 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

This model also has the plastic rear window. A couple of years later they went to a glass rear window. I would pay a little extra for the glass rear window.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Feb 7 2013, 08:52 AM
Post #4

Yeah, I did look at what was on the Pelican site. A lot of information, somewhat overwhelming. It seems the biggest problem is engine failure due to the shaft bearing failing. I will check out the Excellence issue tonight, but I would like to hear if anyone here has had problems.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 7 2013, 08:56 AM
Post #5

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

The only problem I had was the plastic rear window. $700 to sew in a new one and the cracked/crazed window will return in 3-5 years. The only way to avoid that is keep the top up and keep it out of the sun - but if you did that, why own it?
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Feb 7 2013, 09:03 AM
Post #6

Car Hoarder!

QUOTE(thomasotten @ Feb 7 2013, 09:52 AM) *

Yeah, I did look at what was on the Pelican site. A lot of information, somewhat overwhelming. It seems the biggest problem is engine failure due to the shaft bearing failing. I will check out the Excellence issue tonight, but I would like to hear if anyone here has had problems.

Very few people on here own a Boxster of any model. Phil W owns a 2000 S model that I helped him find last year. He has not had any IMS issues. Feel free to contact him...he would be happy top discuss his ownership experience.

Rennlist has MUCH more information than any other site on the M96 and M96 engine type failures.

I had a 997 that I sold last year because I did not want to take a chance on having the issue. I will probably buy a 2009 or newer 997 at the end of the year. I will be looking at 2009 and newer just to avoid the IMS issue. While the actual number of failures is (in reality) fairly low, the expense of being one of those with a failure is overwhelming!
+Quote Post
carr914
post Feb 7 2013, 09:12 AM
Post #7

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

The IMS issue is from people not driving theirs cars as intended - in a spirited manner! When driven correctly the IMS Bearing lubricated & is OK. When driven by a Secretary at low RPMs, the Bearing Fails. Fortunately this IMS issue is well know, the price to fix it is reasonable, but it really needs to be done or (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)

The other thing the IMS has done is drive down the Purchase Price of a Boxster or 996 (even if the IMS has been replaced)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Feb 7 2013, 09:37 AM
Post #8

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

I loved my Boxster, it wasn't an S, but I still loved the car. The retained value of these cars is really, really bad. If you don't mind loosing value, and don't mind the gamble of the IMS problem, then get one.

Me, after taking a bath and hair cut on what could've been the newest Porsche I may ever own, I'll take a nice cherry mid 80's Carrera over any water cooled P car, any day.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Feb 7 2013, 09:51 AM
Post #9

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

I bought a 1998 base model 2 years ago. I spent 3 years finding the right car. The criteria that caused me to purchase were:

1. Wanted a car from an original owner who took care of the car
2. Wanted to see all receipts and be able to contact his main mechanic
3. Wanted low mileage, this car had 38K.
4. Lastly, I had a color preference, but was willing to consider any well preserved color

After 2 years, I really like the Boxster. It's very similar to driving a 914 and a lot safer
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post Feb 7 2013, 09:58 AM
Post #10

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

Member No.: 898

After spending 6 weeks at Series 9 with Joe O'Brien I had watched him do 2 of them. When he does one he changes out coupla of other items and makes the car need nothing in the feature. The total coast is about $3k and makes the car better than new.
Porsche changed the bearing in I belive 05 with a beraing that requires a total motor rebuiled to change it out. In 09 they changed the motor so much that it no longer has the shaft.
So if you find one that is cherry and cheap take it to Series 9 and make it new.
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Feb 7 2013, 10:04 AM
Post #11

The one I have the opportunity to buy is a 2000 Boxster S with 95,000 miles and a new German top for $6,700. That seems like a pretty reasonable price, and the car drives real nice. Does this sound like a good deal?
+Quote Post
carr914
post Feb 7 2013, 10:05 AM
Post #12

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Yes
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Feb 7 2013, 10:06 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(thomasotten @ Feb 7 2013, 10:04 AM) *

The one I have the opportunity to buy is a 2000 Boxster S with 95,000 miles and a new German top for $6,700. That seems like a pretty reasonable price, and the car drives real nice. Does this sound like a good deal?

Sheeesh! You getting it wholesale? That is a great deal!
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Feb 7 2013, 10:10 AM
Post #14

Car Hoarder!

QUOTE(thomasotten @ Feb 7 2013, 11:04 AM) *

Awesome deal....I would buy that in a minute!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 7 2013, 10:45 AM
Post #15

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 7 2013, 10:12 AM) *

The IMS issue is from people not driving theirs cars as intended - in a spirited manner! When driven correctly the IMS Bearing lubricated & is OK. When driven by a Secretary at low RPMs, the Bearing Fails. Fortunately this IMS issue is well know, the price to fix it is reasonable, but it really needs to be done or (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

The other thing the IMS has done is drive down the Purchase Price of a Boxster or 996 (even if the IMS has been replaced)

YES. what are you waiting for? and as stated, for that price do some PM and you can have Series 9 do the upgrade, or just have the Guardian put in to monitor it, and every time you change your oil, take a close look for anything metalic. -
on the 986forum thishas been discussed extensively but there are guys on there that have been multiple boxster owners, no issues even with racing them. it seems if the car sits, lack of lubrication might be an issue, but it may just be that Q.C. was poor and there are a percentage of these bearings that are not made to perfect specs and are doomed to fail.

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Feb 7 2013, 11:10 AM) *

Awesome deal....I would buy that in a minute!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Mine is a 2000S with LOTS of extras and i pain $12k a year ago (65k miles) at the time it was one of the best i could find, really spotless, almost showroom clean.
This is now my DD, with maybe a day or two of the 914 thrown in .

- i have the plastic window, but i just purchased a hard top for it so during the cold and rain of the winter and the very southern hot of the middle summer i plan on leaving that on. its a nice option to have.

- the 2000 s has nice stock performance! and you can pick up a good bit by switching the stock exhaust to a sport cat SS system- for under $3000 you can get a whole new SS system with 200 cell sport cats, int. pipes and rear exhaust etc! -its my next purchase!, - also change a few things and a computer chip flash upgrade and you have about 50hp increase. its like what the 914 would have morphed into IMHO - , just a little heavier but 3x the power.

so go get that thing and post some pictures!!!!
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Feb 7 2013, 11:03 AM
Post #16

I think I will buy it. You have all convinced me. Here is a photo. Cosmetically, a couple of dings, the leather is a little worn/discolored.

But if I have engine failure on the way home, I am blaming every one of you!!!! ;-)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Feb 7 2013, 11:37 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 3,459
Region Association: None

They are really great cars! The Rennlist crap is so over rated and repeated by so many people that have no experience themselves. As long as they keep this up everyone else can enjoy great Boxsters and 996 cars at a n extreme discount.

Don’t get me wrong these two items can happen but it is so rare that the risk is very low and as others have commented they can be eliminated. Every Porsche model and most all cars in general have certain issues.

I have been to a large Porsche dealer in Cleveland that specializes in building these engines and sets them up for race cars. They have had thousands of customers over the years and they have only seen a handful of these problems. Most of the IMS problems are caused by poor oil change history or extremely low mileage stored cars.

Run them hard, as was intended, and enjoy an amazing car for the money!

Jeff B

Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 7 2013, 12:00 PM
Post #18

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(thomasotten @ Feb 7 2013, 12:03 PM) *

I think I will buy it. You have all convinced me. Here is a photo. Cosmetically, a couple of dings, the leather is a little worn/discolored.

But if I have engine failure on the way home, I am blaming every one of you!!!! ;-)

looks like a pretty clean car! the rear window isn't foggy, looks to still be very clear, that is good. I like the brown interior! Seems like the driver's side left bolster gets more wear from the in and out of the driver, mine has some wear there too. any upgrades or extra options? There were a few on mine, such as leather upgrade package which includes 100% leather seats, dash is leather covered and the doors as well. this was not standard. also a sound package with rear speakers, etc. there is a sticker on the underside of the front trunk lid that has code numbers that will tell you which options the car came with if you don't have the original sticker/receipt.
way to go!. now get out there and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
phil
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Feb 7 2013, 12:42 PM
Post #19

Well, a few months back I almost bought a 99 Boxster with a detonated engine. It was like $5K with 65k miles. I was going to fix it and sell it. That one got snatched up.

The interior in this one is actually red, not brown. It is really my favorite combo, it reminds me of the Boxster prototype. Perhaps black seats would wear better, it seems the red gets discolored in certain areas. But once you are sitting in the car, your body hides the problem areas! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I haven't checked the "hell hole" yet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Feb 7 2013, 01:28 PM
Post #20

Racer from Birth

A Trick I learned a long time ago for plastic windows - every once in a while, rub them with Baby Oil. Also when you put the top down, put a Clean bath towel between the window & the top as it is going down.

Also BMW makes a GREAT Convertable Top Conditioner / Water Repellant
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:44 AM