Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Boxster advice?, 2000 S
hot_shoe914
post Feb 7 2013, 02:32 PM
Post #21

on ramp passer

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,354
Region Association: None

I bought a 2000 non S in October with 196,000 on it. It runs great, has a new top with a GLASS rear window( $2500.00 option new) and other than being too small for me, I love it. Does great on the track and autoX and I am in it cheap (under 4K)so if it will last me a year, I will have my money's worth out of it and be able to sell enough parts off of it to recoup most of my investment. Just remember, when you change the oil, if you see any signs of shavings, change the IMS bearing immediately. If you don't want to buy it, give me the info, I know somebody who will.

Shoe
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Feb 7 2013, 02:48 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 1,349

Well it sure was fun to drive, when I briefly drove it the other day. I have a birthady coming up and was just thinking about getting a little 1:35 scale model tank or something to fiddle with, but my wife gave me the go-ahead on this 1:1 scale toy.

Plenty of power, "wie ein Blitz". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge6.gif) What is the best Boxster forum where they actually work on the cars like we do here? I like this forum so much that I have even come here for home maintenance problems! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 7 2013, 03:04 PM
Post #23

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(thomasotten @ Feb 7 2013, 03:48 PM) *

Well it sure was fun to drive, when I briefly drove it the other day. I have a birthady coming up and was just thinking about getting a little 1:35 scale model tank or something to fiddle with, but my wife gave me the go-ahead on this 1:1 scale toy.

Plenty of power, "wie ein Blitz". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge6.gif) What is the best Boxster forum where they actually work on the cars like we do here? I like this forum so much that I have even come here for home maintenance problems! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

here
986forum.com. however, truly ther is no other forum i have ever found like this one!!! So you cant compare. But there are a lot of guys wrenching on their cars and posting on that site i have found lots of help there and over on pelican too- lots of tech tips therethere.th
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 7 2013, 03:13 PM
Post #24

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(thomasotten @ Feb 7 2013, 03:48 PM) *

here
986forum.com. however, truly ther is no other forum i have ever found like this one!!! So you cant compare. But there are a lot of guys wrenching on their cars and posting on that site i have found lots of help there and over on pelican too- lots of tech tips there
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Feb 7 2013, 10:36 PM
Post #25

I took deliver tonight. Why must it be dark when I get new toys?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Feb 8 2013, 07:44 PM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Going to check it out Sat afternoon. Thomas is going to bring the new toy over.
+Quote Post
markyb
post Feb 9 2013, 07:23 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 13,823

Meguiars makes an excellent two-part plastic window cleaner and conditioner. I had a five year old '88 Carrera with a faded plastic window,used the product on it and not only did it look brand new, it prevented future hazing, and kept the plastic flexible and shiny.

BTW, nice purchase! Enjoy your new car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 9 2013, 07:36 AM
Post #28

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(markyb @ Feb 9 2013, 08:23 AM) *

Meguiars makes an excellent two-part plastic window cleaner and conditioner. I had a five year old '88 Carrera with a faded plastic window,used the product on it and not only did it look brand new, it prevented future hazing, and kept the plastic flexible and shiny.

BTW, nice purchase! Enjoy your new car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I use this, it is what i use on my WAS top too recommended by Mark at 914 rubber for the acrylic takes the static charge off as well.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Feb 10 2013, 08:11 PM
Post #29

Some photos of when I and David Brown went over to Mark Heard's house. I'm holding the camera. All three of us were basically Boxster newbies, so we all spent some time trying to figure the car out.

We were unsuccessful in our attempt to access the engine compartment. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Actually, we were making progress, but I think we all just got tired. Nothing like the 914's pull-and-pop engine compartment.

Earlier that day, I drove it with my son in the morning. In the opposite direction, came a modern Porsche 911 turbo. The driver waved to me. Does this mean I am cool now, like accepted? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif) I am the same person I was yesterday in my 914, and I have not yet received a 911 wave. It made me laugh.

Anyway, it is a very cool car. I was not looking for one of these, but perhaps that is why this deal worked out so well. It seems like when I am looking for a particular car, I get so picky that I pass over everything that come my way. This one was just right. Love the color combination, the S package, and most importantly, the price.

On a personal note, I have had a really crappy year last year, with a lot of different bad things happening - car accident, long time friends turning out to be jerks, bad economy and so on. Perhaps this is the Man Upstair's way of saying, hang in there, and enjoy life a little. I think maybe so.

Alles wird gut!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Feb 10 2013, 08:44 PM
Post #30

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

Awesome score!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 10 2013, 08:52 PM
Post #31

Dr. Phil

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Nice! You will enjoy it i am sure.

Go to pelican parts thete is a step by step guide with pictures on how to access the
engine compartment.

If you have any questions you can post on pelican, feel free to p.m. me
One thing, 9.5 quarts of oil but dont take it to the dealer they will charge you and arm and a leg.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Feb 10 2013, 09:01 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

Thomas, sorry to hear about your luck this past year, but I do hope you enjoy your new car and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) the wheels off it.

However after reading about the process of accessing the engine bay http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Accessing_the_Engine.html , I can honestly say I will never own one. Holy crap, if the engines on 914s were that hard to access, I guarantee mine would still be on jackstands.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 10 2013, 09:21 PM
Post #33

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Feb 10 2013, 10:01 PM) *

Thomas, sorry to hear about your luck this past year, but I do hope you enjoy your new car and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) the wheels off it.

However after reading about the process of accessing the engine bay http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Accessing_the_Engine.html , I can honestly say I will never own one. Holy cr
ap, if the engines on 914s were that hard to access, I guarantee mine would still be on jackstands.

I think you are over reacting. The second time I did it it took 5 minutes , really this isn't any less access than a 914.
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Feb 11 2013, 08:19 AM
Post #34

Thanks guys. 9.5 Quarts of oil? Wow, I better buy it when it is on sale.

Does anyone know the grade of oil I should use? There is a sticker under the rear trunk that says Mobil 1, I suppose synthetic is what I shoud use?

I think I will be ordering the magnetic drain plug from Pelican. It makes sense.
Why aren't they all magnetic? It seems like a good idea. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Feb 11 2013, 08:23 AM
Post #35

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

Definately Mobil1 Synthetic
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Feb 11 2013, 08:27 AM
Post #36

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

I continued to use the Mobil 1 ; you will get better info from the 986Forum web site. Use the search function 1st, many of the new-owner questions have been asked. As I remember, there has been controversy over Mobil 1 due to changes in formulation.

I would recommend buying the Pelican book "101 Projects for the Boxster" It's well written and documents with photos. I've done 4 maintenance projects so far and probably save over $500
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Feb 11 2013, 05:28 PM
Post #37

914 Dumbass

Member No.: 98
Region Association: Southwest Region

Congrats on the new ride! Thomas, sent you a PM.
+Quote Post
Series9
post Feb 11 2013, 06:21 PM
Post #38

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602

You got a smokin' deal.

But: DO THE IMS BEARING. Failure has nothing to do with how the car is/was driven.

+Quote Post
patssle
post Feb 11 2013, 06:27 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 10,741

Funny. I just bought a 2000 S too with the exact same color combination here in Texas. Drove it home to Houston from Dallas Saturday.

2 years ago I was told to buy a Boxster instead of trying to build a 914-6. Now I'm doing both!
+Quote Post
carr914
post Feb 11 2013, 06:29 PM
Post #40

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(Series9 @ Feb 11 2013, 07:21 PM) *

You got a smokin' deal.

But: DO THE IMS BEARING.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 04:46 AM