Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Met my first wine and cheeser
spare time toys
post Nov 13 2004, 08:58 PM
Post #1

hooked on grilling food.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

I guess I have gotten used to the fact that everyone I know works on thier cars. I have four friends at work who have Porsches they work on them the Vette guys work on thier cars, heck even the couple of Vipre guys fix thier own cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) Well tonight I took me girl over to a friends house and knew her dad had a Porsche. Cool I think another P car guy I will get to know. He comes to the door and I ask him about his Porsche and tell him I have a 71 914. He says his is a Porsha ( correcting my yanky pronunciation) C4s. I say cool and tell him I am heading out to Cal. in a couple of weeks to get a 928 for the engine and put it in the14. He has the deer in the headlights look (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) and tells me " I take my car to the dealer when it needs anything" I look at my watch whoops gotta go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 13 2004, 09:04 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(spare time toys @ Nov 13 2004, 07:58 PM)
"I take my car to the dealer when it needs anything"

sir, can a have some whine with this cheese ????

some people ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Nov 13 2004, 09:05 PM
Post #3

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Did he have a penis growing out his head?
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Nov 13 2004, 09:17 PM
Post #4

hooked on grilling food.

Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 13 2004, 10:05 PM)
Did he have a penis growing out his head?

I sorta doubt he has one at all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
nsyr
post Nov 13 2004, 09:21 PM
Post #5

Because I Can

Member No.: 2,073

:dhead:
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Nov 13 2004, 10:34 PM
Post #6

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif)
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Nov 13 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #7

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

How do you own a performance car and have no interest in what goes on under the hood. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
airsix
post Nov 14 2004, 02:23 AM
Post #8

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE(Rhodes71/914 @ Nov 13 2004, 09:06 PM)
How do you own a performance car and have no interest in what goes on under the hood. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

You should hear some of the conversations I have (suit and tie environment). You work on it yourself? Like what kind of things do you do to it? I try to brush it off but if the questions persist I try to quickly sumarize but inevitably I get the 'deer caught in headlights' reaction. You can momentarily stun many white collar professionals by saying things like "Wideband oxygen sensor", "hall-effect crank-possition sensor" or "polar moment of inertia". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Nov 14 2004, 03:08 AM
Post #9

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

"How many cars do you have?"

"How many HAVE you had?"

"You do your own BRAKE work?! Boy, I'd be worried about safety!" (gee, thanks)

etc.

Nearly all guys seem to consider it necessary for proper "guyness" to know something about cars, but most, esp. in the "professional" world just aren't really car guys. I've generally tried to avoid letting on that I'm one unless I detect the signs of the sickness in someone else, and even then you have to be wary.

The non-car-guy reaction to question one (three) is usually something like "where do you put them all?" or "why?". The car guy will assume at least one doesn't run (which is correct), and that one or more might be parts cars.

The non-car-guy reaction to number two (22) is almost always incredulity, where the car guy will either say "you must have an understanding wife" (accompanied by a wistful look), or will be able to beat that number.

The most annoying are those suits who not only have the snazzy performance car, but can actually DRIVE IT, yet they still don't know or care diddly about what's under the coachwork. There was a sales guy a few jobs ago who drove a 750i, and could really make that thing move. At a company outing at a kart track, he absolutely kicked my ass, yet had never spent any time in a kart, or on a racetrack, and wouldn't know a slip angle to save his life. Just a natural talent.

Of course, one also regularly meets the types in the corporate world who think you're a pansy for knowing nothing about American football, but who've never heard of Michael Schumacher, let alone Mika Hakinnen, Marcus Gronholm, Petter Solberg, Sebastien Bourdais, et al.

In my experience, anyway, the majority of 911 owners have no idea what's under the hood. At my first job, one of the finance guys had an early swb 911 (in 1984, so this seemed to be an indicator of a true car guy). When I was vaguely considering looking at a 911, he told me to never bleed the brakes. Apparently, this was the only act of maintenance he'd ever attempted to his car himself, and he f-ed up the job. This convinced him that 911 brakes couldn't be bled by anyone but P-car mechanics, and even then required one of the high priests of the profession. Guy was a card-carrying member of the SCCA, and went to the June Sprints religiously (to watch), but had never actually been on a racetrack himself, and had virtually no mechanical knowlege.

Meanwhile, nearly every 914 owner I've ever met has done significant work on their car personally.
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Nov 14 2004, 03:28 AM
Post #10

aircraft surgeon

Member No.: 1,797

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Nov 14 2004, 01:08 AM)

Meanwhile, nearly every 914 owner I've ever met has done significant work on their car personally.

Significant being the keyword here.....Amen brother !! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

I was born taking stuff apart (just ask my older brother....I don't think one of his toys survived me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Yack.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spank.gif) ). Eventually learned how to put stuff back together....and with a 914, or three, I'll never have to grow up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)

Wining or whining gives me a headache, and cheese binds me up like a set of Brembos, so screw em!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
+Quote Post
Red-Beard
post Nov 14 2004, 07:27 AM
Post #11

"Ya canna change the laws of Physics"

Member No.: 288

It's been a while since I've really heard any of the NARP stuff, especially with the Blond.

I went to the Thursday night meeting of the Local Porsche interests in houston. Turns out, these guys are the $Million making D-heads, that drive 996s and are looking to move to a 997, etc. They guy that brought me inroduces me and says I have 2, an SC and 914/6. And one of those assholes has the balls to say, "Well, at least you have one real Porsche." And he wasn't talking about the "old" 911. :finger2:
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Nov 14 2004, 09:11 AM
Post #12

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

James, James, JAMES....when you moved to "W" Land you said you was gonna be the Texas Mikey....did you wear your BITE ME shirt? Did you immediately get in the guy's face and dare him to show (as IF he knew) where his (oil) dipstick is?????

C'mon boy.....stick up fer yer NARP.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom Perso
post Nov 14 2004, 09:16 AM
Post #13

Crazy from the Cold...

Member No.: 1,003

I'm a government contractor computer weenie and work with other computer weenies (both goverment and contractors).

Not a single one of these people work on their cars, most lease their daily drivers and take 'em in for oil changes and tire rotations.

I was just complaining about how stupid our local VW dealer is with oil changes for our new 2004.5 Passat (1.8T). I talked about doing it's first oil change and it wasn't too bad.

"You change the oil yourself on your brand new car????" "Aren't you afraid you'd screw something up?"

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

I talk about building my own motor and they look at me funny.

Later,
Tom
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Nov 14 2004, 09:27 AM
Post #14

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

imagine what he's telling his friends that own real porsches. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

kevin
+Quote Post
JoeSharpOld
post Nov 14 2004, 09:53 AM
Post #15

Does it seem cold to you

Member No.: 2,001

Yestreday after the fun run, Linda (/L.) was complaining about her clutch adjustment. She didn't like the way her pro porsche macanack had it. So I told her to get out the jack and told her how to do it. After the 3rd try it was correct, and she went home with the clutch working right and a smile.
Joe
+Quote Post
/L.
post Nov 14 2004, 11:20 AM
Post #16

NICE 914

Member No.: 2,392
Region Association: Southern California

Thanks to Joe Sharp, I have a better understanding of my little black beauty(72-914). Many hours of hanging with him while he put his engine back together gave me the chance to ask questions and being a third a hand has taught me alot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) People (co-workers/friends) think I'm nuts. I have the NEED to know what the hell is going on with my car, I don't get taken at the mechanics shop when I do have to take my car in. I have alot of respect for the men that work on their own cars! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
My Dad did and so I can share with my son. It's all good...
Linda
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Nov 14 2004, 11:20 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 2,432

yeah its amazing how many people dont know basics of car ownership, let alone anything even close to complex. I work w/ a bunch of women mostly and i dont think any of them ever knew that not changing the oil for over 10k would mess the motor up, even the owner-a man- who has a $80k lexus two door thingy hasnt changed the oil yet-13k miles!!!!! Its amazing, and then i say i have two porsches and they look at me like im a millionare. Then talk about pulling the motor and stripping the suspension in casual conversation and theyre like WHAT!! are you junking it??? HOpeless. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Nov 14 2004, 12:13 PM
Post #18

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

then i say i have two porsches and they look at me like im a millionare.

Ah yes, the Porsche owner = millionaire problem. And there's no point in telling them the total price for my two Porsches is $7000, because they either don't believe you, or they think it's just a rusting pile of parts. No point in trying to convince them that even with maintenance costs, you'll be spending a lot less money for a pair of interesting cars than they'll be spending just making the payments on their Camry.
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Nov 14 2004, 01:25 PM
Post #19

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

that's an interesting way of raising the car!

my gf's ferrari-driving-boss called my car a narp.

which is fine with me, because i can break it, fix it, and kick his ass at an AX on the same day.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 14 2004, 01:27 PM
Post #20

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

QUOTE(Rhodes71/914 @ Nov 14 2004, 01:06 AM)

A C4 is NOT a performance car.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

M
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 04:59 PM