Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How many Non-OEM type Engine conversions, are represented on 914world.com?
BIGKAT_83
post Nov 15 2004, 12:03 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 15 2004, 09:54 AM)
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Nov 15 2004, 09:42 AM)
The newer Aluminum LSx engines will mount up with No mods to the front firewall if you are using a remote water pump as with the SBC. You would need to reverse the intake to have the throllte body facing the rear of the car and this takes cutting a hole in the rear firewall about as big as what is used for the distributor on the SBC.

Bob (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Can't you just toss a carb on it? If the block is basically the same as say a post 86' block, can't you just K.I.S.S. and slap on a decnt 650 carb, HEI Ign and go?

Sorry for the questions, but sure seems like the way to go to me.

No way. The LSx engine is a completly new engine and shares no parts with the older gen1 and gen2 sbc engines. There is a aftermarket carb intake and ign. system for the LS series engines, but that would be a big step backward.

Bob (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
andys
post Nov 15 2004, 12:07 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

The newer Aluminum LSx engines will mount up with No mods to the front firewall if you are using a remote water pump as with the SBC. You would need to reverse the intake to have the throtlle body facing the rear of the car and this takes cutting a hole in the rear firewall about as big as what is used for the distributor on the SBC.

Bob,

Couple of questions on the LS1 conversion: Did you use the stock LS1 crank pulley? Was the motor/trans moved back the standard amount per the RH trans mount? What mod's did you have to make to the motor mount bar/mounting points? Did you use the stock LS1 oil pan, or go with the shorter 'Vette pan and pick-up?

Thanks,

Andy
+Quote Post
andys
post Nov 15 2004, 12:14 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

QUOTE(turbo914v8 @ Nov 15 2004, 09:54 AM)
First of, let me just say that is a real honor to be on the list and to be part of such a great group of interesting people. Enough a$$ kissing. You can get an all aluminum virgin block from an number of suppliers. I almost got the aluminum block from Brodix. What changed my mind was not only the price tag of $3800.00 US, but at the end of the day you only save in the neighbor hood of about 100 lbs. Not worth the out lay of cash for 100lbs weight savings imo.

Regards,
turbo Paul.

Paul,

This is not too different than the LSx series motors. The cast iron 6.0L LQ4 truck block only weights 65lbs. more than the aluminum 5.7L LS1 block. Interesting that the LS1 bare blocks are less expensive than the LQ4.

Andy
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Nov 15 2004, 12:20 PM
Post #44

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(andys @ Nov 15 2004, 10:14 AM)
QUOTE(turbo914v8 @ Nov 15 2004, 09:54 AM)
First of, let me just say that is a real honor to be on the list and to be part of such a great group of interesting people. Enough a$$ kissing. You can get an all aluminum virgin block from an number of suppliers. I almost got the aluminum block from Brodix. What changed my mind was not only the price tag of $3800.00 US, but at the end of the day you only save in the neighbor hood of about 100 lbs. Not worth the out lay of cash for 100lbs weight savings imo.

Regards,
turbo Paul.

Paul,

This is not too different than the LSx series motors. The cast iron 6.0L LQ4 truck block only weights 65lbs. more than the aluminum 5.7L LS1 block. Interesting that the LS1 bare blocks are less expensive than the LQ4.

Andy

Wow, I didn't realize the wieght was so close.

Me thinks it would be best to grab a iron 350 with alum heads intake. Good enough.

Yeah, yeah, I am a big 914-6 guy, but thinking about doing a V8. The power behind it just sounds dam fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Nov 15 2004, 12:30 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(andys @ Nov 15 2004, 10:07 AM)
The newer Aluminum LSx engines will mount up with No mods to the front firewall if you are using a remote water pump as with the SBC. You would need to reverse the intake to have the throtlle body facing the rear of the car and this takes cutting a hole in the rear firewall about as big as what is used for the distributor on the SBC.

I'm using the stock F-body pan

Bob,

Couple of questions on the LS1 conversion: Did you use the stock LS1 crank pulley? Was the motor/trans moved back the standard amount per the RH trans mount? What mod's did you have to make to the motor mount bar/mounting points? Did you use the stock LS1 oil pan, or go with the shorter 'Vette pan and pick-up?

Thanks,

Andy

Andy
I used a C5 vette pulley. these are shorter than the f-body pulley.

I think the only reason the transaxles are moved back the standard 1.25" is this is how the SBC mounts in the 914. If you center up the stock chevy engine mounts with the 914 engine body mounts it places the transaxle back 1.25"

The LS1 mounts are farther back on the engine. I've made 2 sets of mounts. The first one uses a crossbar mount system like a 914 SBC and moved the engine mounts farther forward on the block.
The other mounts bolt solid to the engine and use rubber mounts at the stock 914 body mounts
this makes a nicer mount with no bar haning under the car.
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Nov 15 2004, 12:31 PM
Post #46

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 15 2004, 12:20 PM)
Yeah, yeah, I am a big 914-6 guy, but thinking about doing a V8. The power behind it just sounds dam fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Dude,

I just got back from getting some lunch in mine. I feel like shit today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) , I can't even see my desk, and I feel too lousy to do anthing about it. But the fun of driving that car even for a few miles made me forget about all of it for 45 minutes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Nov 15 2004, 12:46 PM
Post #47

Village Idiot

QUOTE(aircooledboy @ Nov 15 2004, 10:31 AM)
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 15 2004, 12:20 PM)
Yeah, yeah, I am a big 914-6 guy, but thinking about doing a V8.  The power behind it just sounds dam fun.   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Dude,

I just got back from getting some lunch in mine. I feel like shit today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) , I can't even see my desk, and I feel too lousy to do anthing about it. But the fun of driving that car even for a few miles made me forget about all of it for 45 minutes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

I followed your thread about your 914 when you first bought it. I liked that you drove it 900+ miles. Seemed to be relaible. I don't know if I will do a V8, but if I do, I know I will have plenty of advise! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Nov 15 2004, 12:47 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 538

Add me to the list. I'm working on a 1973 914 Twin Turbo Three Rotor Rotary engine swap. I have accumulated most of the parts I need to get started (adapter plate, clutch, flywheel, radiator, motor mounts, etc.) I just bought a new place with a big shop and as soon as I get settled in I will start my own build thread.
+Quote Post
chunger
post Nov 15 2004, 01:15 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 133

Felix,

Nice. . . I conned myself into buying a running 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Actually, the way I'm wired, if I'm driving one, I'll have double motivation to finish the V8. Another issue that motivated the purchase was price. . . and in the back of my mind, there was the fact that this car already had on it an ideal suspension for V8. . . and I have all the parts to do a quick conversion on a running car. But now that I have it, I feel it'd be nice to keep the car legal in it's class. . . .since I have an all new 5 lug suspension for the project already. And my scirocco is going to die. I need a reliable running car.

-'Chung
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Nov 15 2004, 01:23 PM
Post #50

QUOTE(chunger @ Nov 15 2004, 01:15 PM)
Actually, the way I'm wired, if I'm driving one, I'll have double motivation to finish the V8.

Doh!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
MarkG
post Nov 15 2004, 01:25 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 2,102

I've been wondering if I could cram a 308 series Ferrari engine in mine.......
+Quote Post
dwillouby
post Nov 15 2004, 01:34 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 29

You can add mine to the list. dwillouby KY 914 355V8.
David
+Quote Post
turbo914v8
post Nov 15 2004, 01:36 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 952

Gentlemen,

If the 914 v8 is done correctly, I see no reason why it can not be a daily driven car. I am reading a lot of comments that suggest people are still afraid to drive the 914 v8 as a daily driver. We have a large enough community with many examples of well done 914 v8's, I am sure that there must be a few out there that drive their car's daily. Feel free to chime in at any time.

Regards,

Turbo Paul.
+Quote Post
DougC
post Nov 15 2004, 01:52 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 2,307

Mine's got some ways to go yet but will have SBC power soon.

Doug C
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 15 2004, 02:08 PM
Post #55

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

can you add?

914club member: 914turboford,
engine: Ford 2.3 turbo EFI (mounted sideways)
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Nov 15 2004, 02:21 PM
Post #56

QUOTE(turbo914v8 @ Nov 15 2004, 01:36 PM)
If the 914 v8 is done correctly, I see no reason why it can not be a daily driven car. I am reading a lot of comments that suggest people are still afraid to drive the 914 v8 as a daily driver. We have a large enough community with many examples of well done 914 v8's, I am sure that there must be a few out there that drive their car's daily. Feel free to chime in at any time.

I drive mine every day that it is not raining when I leave the house. I will continue to do so until the first salt hits the roads, especially since I just plumbed in my heat last week.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Nov 15 2004, 03:01 PM
Post #57

Village Idiot

Oh, I don't think there is any question that a basic, well done sbc will last a ton of miles in just about any car. Plus, you can pick up a long block from just about any FLAPS! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I would think any question would be in the install. Say the cooling system. Did someone really hack up the 914 to install the hoses and rad? Something along those lines.

So aircooledboy (contradiction in terms (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ), do you use the stock 901 gear set?
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Nov 15 2004, 03:25 PM
Post #58

Only until I take it to Brad Mayuer this hibernation season. Then it will be taller-gears-o-rama (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) It is fine for now as is, but I will enjoy highway driving much more after the gear swap.

BTW, only ONE of my teeners is a waterpumper. I will always be air cooled at heart. After all, I am just like a TIV powered 914 (slow, out-dated, a little rusty, with loud putt putt noises coming from the back end, but very quick in tight spaces and damn good fun on a nice day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) )
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Nov 15 2004, 03:30 PM
Post #59

neo life

Member No.: 159

Another issue that motivated the purchase was price. . . and in the back of my mind, there was the fact that this car already had on it an ideal suspension for V8.

Chung,
I wish I had the cash at hand to buy that car for my Neo914. Even if I did, my wife won't let me bring it home. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
First of, let me just say that is a real honor to be on the list and to be part of such a great group of interesting people.

Paul,
Where the hell are the pics of your car.? Check out "Dinner and Chris Julians" thread. He said he had a pic but was sworn not to show it. Why are you holding out? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

All newbies,
Thanks for chiming in with your projects. Post some pics so I know you're for real! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Just kidding, there are ALOT of projects in the works. We are tackling what typically takes millions of dollars, 100's of engineers, and years to accomplish. So the result are rarely "factory" but we do our best...
Felix
+Quote Post
Rider914
post Nov 15 2004, 08:14 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 1,923

I have a '72 914 SBC that was a daily driver for 5 years, now it is a garage queen!!! I got tired of parking in that far corner spot, no radio or AC. One day some guy got out of his car and mooned me at a traffic light, it attracts too much attention. Damn the price of fame. . .
+Quote Post

11 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:52 AM