Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Suby cradle, rethinking all conversion cradles.
ruby914
post Feb 9 2013, 11:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,305
Region Association: None

When I started my WRX914 ,I didn't want to modify the car to fit the WRX.
Before long I found myself cutting and welding quite a bit. Looking back, it will never be a stock 914 again.
So why did I use the stock 914 X bar mounts? Like most, I am sure, because they are there. I was basing my decisions off a model for a kit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
They are great for plug and play but I have a welder.

Seems they are not in the best location for the WRX motor. It seems to me that the rear suspension inboard ears (Inner console) are just about the best location to tie into.

The Inner console would no longer be indirectly supporting the motor but directly supporting it reducing the load transferred to the tub.
It seems this would stiffen the Inner console as well.
When I originally did my "cradle" I did add a little extra tie-in to the ear but it is not taking the bulk of the load.
I am thinking, if I reinforce the Inner console and tap my x member 100% into the Inner console, I can remove all other "cradle" tubing.

Has any one else taken this route? Any thoughts why not? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 11:31 PM