Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2005 MUSR Site Search, Looking for some suggestions.
cha914
post Nov 14 2004, 03:20 PM
Post #21

MUSR 8 - 5lug conversion done wed - drive 500miles thrus

Group: Members
Member No.: 63

I think MSR would be cool...but we really need to look into cost, as it seems that if we wanted to actually get on the track it would really drive up the cost of the event, which might turn alot of the non track types away...

personally though, I think it sounds like a great idea...I don't know what the roads are like around the ft worth area, but it sounds like a good excuse to drive up there and find out...

Tony
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JWest
post Nov 14 2004, 04:14 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 97
Region Association: None

Grandbury would be a good location to stay if we wanted to do it at MSR. Lots of B&Bs and some touristy stuff. The tour roads are kinda lacking unless we go a little south, though.
+Quote Post
Joseph Mills
post Nov 14 2004, 04:22 PM
Post #23

on a Sonoma diet now...

Member No.: 39

QUOTE(cha914 @ Nov 14 2004, 03:20 PM)
but we really need to look into cost, as it seems that if we wanted to actually get on the track it would really drive up the cost of the event, which might turn alot of the non track types away...

Good point Tony. I have no idea what the cost would be. But maybe if that track is too expensive, we could find other venue sites in the area that would offer ample space at a reasonable cost.

Do we have "non track types" in our group? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Just seems to me, a "day at the track" idea would be a great way to celebrate 914s.
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Nov 14 2004, 04:48 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

For those of us who are either non-track types, or don't have a track car, there are not really any enjoyable "touring" roads in the DFW-MSR area... To summerize, it is
FLAT!!!!!!!
This is just my opinion, and I have expressed it before, but from a driving (touring)experience, the DFW area, meaning that within 150 miles in ANY direction, does'nt work... - Just FYI, I've been here about 40 years.... (Rant Off)
Also, from a planning standpoint, if we plan the event in Sept.,to avoid conflict with the FFC, a northern location will give us an advantage as far as weather...
Jimmy Wilkenson spoke of an area near HWY 23 in SE AR that he thought would be awesome, and Charlie agreed... Anybody know more about this local?
Just my .00002....
-Thom
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Nov 14 2004, 04:59 PM
Post #25

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but, wouldn't it have to be classified as a DE in order for PCA insurance to cover it?

I'm betting $125.00 minimum for a one day event, and we would have to triple our annual attendance numbers. Hallett is 125 for 1 day, or 225 for 2 days, and that's with 100 plus cars. Qualified instructors would also have to be on hand.

Yeah, we got some non track types in the group. Not everyones car will pass a tech, and some are too nice to subject them to track use. Road couses can be very hard on unsuspecting cars.

That said, Count me in! I love DE! gonna do Hallett again in may. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Nov 14 2004, 05:01 PM
Post #26

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

A day at the track would probably keep a lot of the core MUSR folks away. About half of the group that has traditionally come to the MUSR would not be interested in a track day. Plus, finding an open date at the Motorsport ranch, plus experienced instructors would be two other problems. Plus everyone would have to have SA helmets, fire suits, and the proper required licensing. See

Motorsport Ranch Webpage

IIRC Maverick region charges 125.00 an entry for a DE at Motorsport Ranch, and there is a waiting list for the novice run group.

To do it individually it's 2500.00 for a membership initiation fee, plus monthly dues of 75.00 and 20.00 a pop for each 25 minute session.

I love the idea, but it's really not feasable. To put it bluntly, Charlie Davis is very frugal with the SIG money. I had a hard time selling him on the extra cost of the trophys this year. In the past they budjeted 7 (seven) dollars a trophy! Bearing that in mind, there is no way they will spring for a club type membership for Motorsport Ranch, and the Maverick region DE group is not going to give up one of their days for the 914SIG. Plus the insurance costs will make it impossible if we did not use the SIG.

Now... I had proposed a "Rambling Ramble".

We all meet in a town on Thursday, and we stay the night. On Friday morning, we get up and drive to our next stop. Max of 4 hours on the road. Then we spend the afternoon and evening with tech sessions, tech quiz ect. One of the legs moving to another location could be the rally, etc.

I had suggested Paris (TX) to New York (TX). Lots of senic roads, but not really a twisty setup.
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Nov 14 2004, 05:20 PM
Post #27

Clay,
As it was stated previously, the rambling ramble requires everyone packing up their cars on a daily ongoing basis, which would most likely get old for most of the SO's that attend these events... Have you driven the roads from Paris to New York..? Are they worth taking 3 days of your time off work to enjoy driving twisty's, that these events were designed for..? I'll put my tough in-my-cheek here, but this is also a serious question -
-Thom
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Nov 14 2004, 05:27 PM
Post #28

I drive my car everyday

Clay, I like the rambling ramble idea, but I travel very light, and never really unpack the car anyway. I'm the minority. Kinda tough for the ones that are trailering. Kerr Lodge to Bell Starr lodge was a fiasco.

Ok, forget MSR. Join me at Hallett. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Tom, 23 runs north and south thru most of Arkansas. It's the main road thru down town Eureka Springs. Very good road. Lots of interesting stuff south of I-40 also.

This post has been edited by vsg914: Nov 14 2004, 05:29 PM
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Nov 14 2004, 05:32 PM
Post #29

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Next year will be the 7th Annual MUSR. With the exception of the weekend that spilled over into November, it's traditionally held in October.

I think moving it to earlier in the year (September) to accomodate the fledgling FFC will be a hard sell to the group. Not trying to start a fight among group organizers... just saying how it is.

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Nov 14 2004, 05:37 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Nov 14 2004, 03:32 PM)
Next year will be the 7th Annual MUSR. With the exception of the weekend that spilled over into November, it's traditionally held in October.

I think moving it to earlier in the year (September) to accomodate the fledgling FFC will be a hard sell to the group. Not trying to start a fight among group organizers... just saying how it is.

Actually, If you include the Renegade 914 club meets that were the predecessor of the MUSR, this would be the 10th year.

Ok, Let's get back to WHERE to go....
+Quote Post
cha914
post Nov 14 2004, 08:04 PM
Post #31

MUSR 8 - 5lug conversion done wed - drive 500miles thrus

Member No.: 63

I know of good roads around Austin and San Antonio...but I am guessing those would be too far south for most ... DFW is the concrete wonderland, we might be able to get a good AutoX site though, and we could go for late night runs where we get five wide on the hiways and see who has the best 60 to 120 pulls (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Are there any interesting roads around Waco? Never really been around that area other than on the hiway...

How about texarkana again just another place that I have gone through on the hiway...
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Nov 15 2004, 12:16 PM
Post #32

hooked on grilling food.

Member No.: 1,884

If we do this in the DFW area I will help find sponsers. If my car isnt done Ill help work the track or check points in a road rally. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Nov 15 2004, 12:17 PM
Post #33

DFW was a good ramble.. but it was focused on and around the autocross. Autocross classes, autocross day, etc. The Solana was far out enough that there wasn't HUGE amounts of traffic.

Not that I really remember it much... I was so jetlagged, the only thing that is really clear was the adrenaline rush of my first AX. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

+Quote Post
Pam
post Nov 15 2004, 12:44 PM
Post #34

Unnumbered Lady of 914s

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 756

Hmmmm......hadn't seen me in 10 months and the thing he remembers is the AX??

-Pam
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Nov 15 2004, 02:37 PM
Post #35

Uhhh... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Nov 15 2004, 09:31 PM
Post #36

I know it's in NW Arkansas, but can someone check out the Eureka Springs area? It might be a location we could investigate.

Also, is there someone who can suggest a location in NW Louisiana? Are there any good roads there?
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Nov 15 2004, 10:09 PM
Post #37

I drive my car everyday

Did that this year. Eureka is too crowded. too much traffic, and the wrong time of the year. That's why we went to Western Hills. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by vsg914: Nov 16 2004, 12:37 PM
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Nov 15 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #38

Clay,
Call or email Charlie, or for that matter the MUSR group that had going pre-MUSR,
and let's see what Charlie's thought's were in regard to the southern part of
HWY 23... Or for that matter, I will do it tomorrow if no one objects...
Thom
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Nov 18 2004, 01:19 PM
Post #39

I drive my car everyday

Tom, anything to report about conversation with CD?
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Nov 18 2004, 03:34 PM
Post #40

I have not had the chance to even think about sending the email, and the only reason I am answering this I am on hold with a flood cert company on the phone -
I will send out the email to the "group" we had going before the MUSR... Or anyone who was on the list previously can do it... Tony Chavez -please send me your email -

This week is crazy at work, and on top of it all Heather and I found a house (BIG) in DeSoto that we made an offer on over the weekend.... Inspections tomorrow -
Close the 10th of December... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
-Thom
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 12:12 AM