Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Storing competition tires for the Winter, Any advice?
Part Pricer
post Nov 14 2004, 05:34 PM
Post #1

Believe everything I post

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 35

It's time to take the Falkens off of the 914 and put the street tires and wheels back on. Any advice on how I should store the competition tires for the Winter?

I'll be keeping them on their wheels. What should I do for air pressure? Higher or lower than normal?

What about storage temperature? Should I leave them in the garage where it can get mighty cold or store them in the heated basement?

Any other tips?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Nov 15 2004, 09:59 AM
Post #2

Believe everything I post

Member No.: 35

I guess everybody throws their tires way at the end of the season.

Can somebody throw me a bone here? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Nov 15 2004, 10:02 AM
Post #3

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

probably the best thing is to keep them in the basement. Keep the sun's light off them, too. A black trash bag will do the trick. I stored 2 Goodyear gatorbacks for 7 years with this method (but in the garage) and they were as good as the day I put them in, no harder at all.
+Quote Post
drew365
post Nov 15 2004, 10:07 AM
Post #4

These are the good old days!

Group: Members
Member No.: 37

Paul; I would be interested myself in an answer from someone who knows. My guess would be keeping them cold as opposed to getting dried out by heat. I know I had a set of Goodyears get rock hard on me while sitting in my garage in L.A.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Nov 15 2004, 10:14 AM
Post #5

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Hoosier has this to say on their FAQ page: Hoosier How Tos:

7. What are the do's and don'ts when storing Hoosier race tires at the end of the racing season?

TIRE STORAGE
The useful life of a tire, whether mounted or dismounted, is directly affected by storage conditions. Tires should always be stored indoors in a dark, cool, dry room.

DO

1  Remove the tires from the vehicle.
2. Remove the air from the tires and store them on their side in a cool/dark/dry environment.
3. Place tires in a black plastic bag when stored during the "off-season".
4. Make sure the temperature range in the storage location is between 40-90 degrees Fahrenheit.

DON'T

1. Don't store tires in direct sunlight or near electric motors. (Electric motors emit small amounts of ozone.) Tires need to be protected from light, especially sunlight. Light causes ultraviolet damage by breaking down the rubber compounds. The storeroom should not contain electrical welding or any other equipment that could produce ozone.

2. Don't apply any chemical treatments to Hoosier tires. (It's not necessary and may actually damage the integrity of the tire by breaking down the rubber properties of the tire.) Tires must not be allowed to come in contact with oils, greases, solvents, or other petroleum products that cause rubber to soften or deteriorate.

3. Don't store tires in sub-freezing temperatures for any length of time. (The rubber can freeze and may crack as a result.)
+Quote Post
gregrobbins
post Nov 16 2004, 12:02 AM
Post #6

Member: Team NARP

Member No.: 1,844
Region Association: Southwest Region

We don't have winter in Arizona. You could send them to me and I would be happy to run them regularly to keep them in the racing attitude.

Oh, that might wear them out faster, so better go with what everyone said to do above.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Nov 16 2004, 09:25 AM
Post #7

You bought another 914?

Member No.: 865

I have a set of Bars that I bought from Griots(sp) garage. They are mounted to the wall and the tires just hang from them. This is not the best picture but you can see them by the arrow.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
qa1142
post Nov 16 2004, 12:33 PM
Post #8

Whiplash

Member No.: 2,140

Nice car Garold, good thing the orange one runs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 11:18 PM