Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More Transmission Woes, What should I do?
iiibdsiil
post Nov 14 2004, 06:27 PM
Post #1

Needs Door Locks

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,362

Okay, my trans took a crap on me a while ago. It made some grinding noise, and now the car won't roll freely, even in neutral. I can get a couple rotations out of the wheel sometimes, and then it locks up pretty solid. It is definitely an internal transmission problem.

I have a line on a "recently gone through" 901-914 box. All is well with it, shifts fine, has pretty recent syncros in it. The seller wants $500 for it. All I would need to do would be replace the stub axle things on the sides of the trans with the bigger ones that I have.

But, my trans was just gone through in regards to new syncros, dog ears or whatever, and it was re-geared.

I know I can take my gear set out, and put it in the other trans, or I can just leave the stock gears in the other one, and enjoy it for a little while, since I am real anxious to get the car back on the road.

Question is, what should I do? Does anyone have a 901-914 box they would be willing to part with that doesn't have any of the transmission gears in it. I am pretty much going on the assumption that something is screwed up on the "rear end" side of the transmission. So, what I would be looking for would be a trans that had just the gear set pulled out the back, side shifter.

Or is this a reasonable price? I am about to jump on it just to get the car back on the road.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Nov 14 2004, 06:33 PM
Post #2

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

It probably wont' work to put the gear stack out of one 914 transmssion into another without setting up the ring and pinion clearance. The gear stack has the pinion gear as part of it, and IIRC, the ring and pinion are a matched set. What you need to do is disassemble it to see what the problem is. IF the spider gears in the differental are damaged, it can be easily fixed. But it may be the gear stack had something fail in it. (remember the first rule of fixing broken cars.... what you fooled with last probably failed.)

First step.. pull the right hand axle, drive flange and differental cover and look inside. Take pictures and post them and we will tell you if you are FUBAR.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
iiibdsiil
post Nov 14 2004, 06:37 PM
Post #3

Needs Door Locks

Member No.: 1,362

I am just going to pull it out, only problem is the car is currently in the garage at my old house, 240 miles away, and tools are with me.

Can anyone come up with a list of tools I would need? That way I can grab more or less what I will need?

I am just scared it will be more cost effective to just replace the thing than to have it fixed right...
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post Nov 14 2004, 08:15 PM
Post #4

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

If you can verify that the trans has been gone through, $500 seems reasonable enough, and if it can get you back on the road asap, then it serves a purpose there. You can then work on your current trans at your leisure, and you'll still end up with a spare good trans when all is said and done. Good luck.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 08:37 AM