Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Roler parts exchange, What parts don't interchange?
restore2seater
post Nov 14 2004, 11:27 PM
Post #1

Future 914 copilot.

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,037
Region Association: None

I am coming to the conclusion that the restoration of my 914 might not be worth the expense. The time issue of replacing sheet metal and parts of the frame isn't that big of deal to me since it's my time thats being used. Even though it can get frustrating at times. If it was easy or no challenge it wouldn't be worth doing. Like most 914s from the midwest you really don't know how bad the rust is till the car has been stripped.
Other than the dash and the front trunk area I have stripped the rest of the car. Everytime I peal back another layer of parts I either see rust or PO attempt at hideing the rust with big globs of bondo.
I have split the engine case and it looks to be in good enough shape to rebuild. I havn't taken the trans. apart yet but from what I've researched about the trans. the only major problems that can occur are with the linkage and first gear.
The interior is in decent shape other than the carpet. There is no carpet. All the glass is in good shape also.
I have a 1973 1.7L.
My question is if I could find a decent roler that someone would sell me how much of my 73 will interchange with other cars as far as different years go?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gregrobbins
post Nov 14 2004, 11:51 PM
Post #2

Member: Team NARP

Member No.: 1,844
Region Association: Southwest Region

Welcome. A neat thing about the 914s is that they didn't change too much during production. You will find that the vast majority of your '73 parts will fit into the tub of any other year. Get you hands on a Chilton or Haynes manual to see the what and how. Try to find The 914 & 914-6 by Dr. B. Johnson as it gives a lot of information about the differences between the different years.

There are a lot of members of this board that can provide much valuable information, all you have to do is ask. Also, get familiar with the archives and you can find information on anything related to 914s.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 15 2004, 01:26 AM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

If you can do all the work yourself and do it well, you'll be able to get your money back out of it. Values are going up and obviously you see the value of a quality car on the east coast.
+Quote Post
restore2seater
post Nov 15 2004, 07:41 AM
Post #4

Future 914 copilot.

Member No.: 3,037

Thats true. The only part of the restoration I won't be doing is painting the outside of the body. Don't trust my painting skills and no paint booth. Some of the interior may be done by someone else also. I havn't given up completely on restoreing the car I have now, just investigating all my options. I really don't like giving up. I'm pretty strong willed but common sense sets in sometimes and asks if this could be done a different way.
When I get my new camera in about a week or two I'll post some pictures. So far the only sheet metal that doesn't have rust is the front trunk lid.
I do appreciate everyones opinion on this topic. So feel free to post them. I won't be offended.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 11:07 PM