Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ARGH! Broken shift rod..., ...one step back
ambergris
post Nov 15 2004, 07:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,145
Region Association: Northern California

In my quest to clean up the shifting action on my 74 2.0L, I decided to rebuild the tranny. My first time doing something like this, and I thought it turned out pretty well. I think I have a leak at the speedo drive, but the grinds in 2nd and 3rd disappeared. Shifting was pretty good, and I was able to hit all the gears I intended to on my test run at first. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
But then the slop came back, and I found myself having a hard time finding 4th and 5th. I was giving the "pot of gears" a lot of stirring to find anything. I assumed I had to fine-tune my shift rod alignment. So I got back home and started playing with the alignment when POP! the shifter came totally loose. I thought I had lost a cone set screw or something, until I looked under the car.
It looks like my shift rod came apart! It looks like there's a tack weld or something that came undone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
So now, I have a couple of questions:
1. Is it possible that this is what was causing my shift slop?
2. Are there any special considerations when getting this fixed? Can I just take the 2 peices to any body shop and ask them to re-weld it? Or this my opportunity to buy a welder and learn a new skill (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

One step forward and one back again.
Oh, and does anyone know what's going on with the JWest RennShift "Extreme Makeover"? I was looking at maybe getting one once I get this taken care of, and the site has sales suspended.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Nov 15 2004, 07:15 PM
Post #2

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

It's happened to me. The two parts are only tack welded together. Have them rewelded, but make sure it lines up exactly where it was before it broke.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Nov 15 2004, 07:19 PM
Post #3

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Yup easy fix....once when I was in band camp and it broke...I drilled a hole through it and took a lock nut and bolt to it....got me home and it worked so well, I was too lazy to fix it for three months.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Nov 15 2004, 08:53 PM
Post #4

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

That's why I pretty much weld that up solid when I make the conversion shift rod.

Nice protective coating on the tranny! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

It would be no problem to put that back together. I'm sure there are plenty of witness marks to re-align the two parts. Should be a minimum charge at any welding shop. Make sure you put a small dab of low torque Locktite on those cone set screws before you put them back in.
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Nov 15 2004, 10:30 PM
Post #5

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

QUOTE(9146986 @ Nov 15 2004, 06:53 PM)

Nice protective coating on the tranny!

water resistent!
+Quote Post
DJsRepS
post Nov 16 2004, 04:52 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,060

You better hope there is not so much protective coating on the clutch side of that rebuilt tranny! Yea just line up the old spot weld and go solid weld all the way
+Quote Post
DJsRepS
post Nov 16 2004, 04:57 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,060

I havent put my pelican bushing shift kit in yet. My tunel bushings are out and I cant do 4th or 5th but I can still make the speed limit in 3rd around town. NO TIME! Just got the pedal cluster bushing kit and new throddle cable as well all still in the Peclian box.
+Quote Post
ambergris
post Nov 16 2004, 11:06 AM
Post #8

Super cool. Thanks for all the responses, folks. Sounds like I'll just remove the rod and walk it over to my local body shop for re-welding.
Hopefully my next update will include cleaner pics! I feel like I just let a bunch of people in my dirty apartment! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I guess in this case, the "apartment" hasn't been cleaned in 30 years, so....

I'm still a little curious as to what improvements James West is planning for his Rennshift...
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Nov 19 2004, 08:07 AM
Post #9

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

QUOTE(ambergris @ Nov 16 2004, 09:06 AM)
I feel like I just let a bunch of people in my dirty apartment!

The oven is a good place to hide dirty dishes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
ambergris
post Nov 19 2004, 11:36 AM
Post #10

Okey dokey. Well, this update is pretty much what people were expecting, but I always like to close up my topics.
As it turns out there's an auto body shop in walking distance of my apartment, so I took the busted shift bar over on my lunch break. I noted the alignment of the 2 peices, and they did a quick weld job (all the way around this time). Solid, baby. Gave the guy 20 bucks and I think we were both happy.

Soooooo nice to be able to shift again! I guess the bar has been broken for a while now, because all the slop that I had been trying to get rid of for months is pretty much gone. I'm guessing that the weld broke, but the pressure fit kept the 2 peices together. Slow shifts worked, but anything faster and the bar rotated, causing a lot of missed shifts.

Thanks to everyone here as always, for the advice and for making fun of my transmission "performance coating" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I think I need to buy a couple cans of oven cleaner or something...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 12:31 AM